Forums Latest Members

Invite to AD. Thinking about it....

1. Steve Essex Dec 5, 2018

I've received an email invite to an 'exclusive Omega Event' at a local Omega AD where they will have all 89 Omega watches from the 2018 Basel collection on show. Trouble for me is that this Omega AD is a separate shop within a shop and it's the size of a domestic garage so it's either going to be extremely crowded or they will give those that want to attend a specific time to attend and I can envisage both salesmen pouncing on me! I've never bought a watch from them before, just a deployant strap and clasp for my Speedmaster as well as an adjustable clasp for my Seamaster. I hate hard sell tactics and tend to walk away from them even if I was looking to purchase. What's likely to happen?

2. Linzer Dec 5, 2018

Checking out all Basel releases at once sounds like fun even if you do not wish to purchase. Especially if the AD is nearby. You may end up with a few freebies as well.
    It's a good opportunity to build a relationship with the AD. If they want to talk you into a purchase you can always say no.
    Have fun if you decide to go.

3. Steve Essex Dec 5, 2018

Right, I've booked my place. If I buy anything I'll blame you...….:D

4. Linzer Dec 5, 2018

I'm ok with that. You can even send me your impulse buy if you don't like it. :D

mikekchc and Steve Essex like this.
  5. lillatroll Dec 5, 2018

I imagine there will be plenty of people there so they won t bother you too much. There are not a huge amount of people who buy multiple watches so any watch shop would be silly to pass up the opportunity to capture a potential new customer.
    I buy from one shop and that is the only shop I go to because I like the staff. Is it common for collectors to go to one shop? I don t know, but as a customer I want to know that my hard earned cash is going to someone who I trust and gives me good service. I am sure that for many collectors this type of relationship is hard to break so the competition has to try hard to win new customers over.

Linzer likes this.
  6. Linzer Dec 5, 2018

For this reason, instead of an hour drive, I booked a flight to collect two watches earlier this year from an AD.

mikekchc likes this.
  7. mikekchc Dec 5, 2018

that is dedication... though i would likely do the same. If possible, i buy from the same store and same person. If I'm spending 5000+ on a new watch, i expect good service and maybe a deal or two ;)

8. Steve Essex Dec 11, 2018

Just got in. It was great! No hard sell at all but learned some really interesting stuff about watches/crystals/silicon springs/ceramic etc as they had some experts there giving talks and demonstrations. Saw loads of stuff through a loupe (got to get myself one of them - and then clean my watch - urgh!). Best thing was, I went with my wife, she went off shopping for a couple of hours, I drank loads of champagne so she had to drive me home! :D

9. BenBagbag Dec 11, 2018

Sounds fun! Any freebies you could take home? :D

10. Steve Essex Dec 11, 2018

Absolutely nothing! There were about 20 or so Omega bags stacked up but I didn’t see anyone get one and I didn’t want to ask!

BenBagbag likes this.
  11. mikekchc Dec 12, 2018

that's like the cherry on top!

Darn, i would have been so tempted to take a peek in one of those bags

WatchShopping likes this.
  12. Koen Dec 13, 2018

Seems to me an hour drive is less annoying/takes less time than waiting on the airport and getting through tsa. I could be wrong of course:cool: