Forums Latest Members

Invicta and MKII - What do you think?

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2011

Invicta basically make an entire product range that clones Rolex current models, while MKII watches, make vintage Rolex clones of high value models.

The websites are:

http://www.mkiiwatches.com/
    http://www.invictawatch.com/invicta/home

Not sure I feel entirely comfortable with what either of them are doing, although both seem to be doing some independent designs as well, it sort of seams like they're making replicas to make a name off of Rolex to some extent.

2. Trev The Architect Staff Member May 30, 2011

"Counterfeit / Fake Rolex Watches - What do you think?"

That might as well be the topic. I have nothing positive to say about the two companies mentioned above, or the people who wear these watches.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2011

There are a lot of people that wear them without pretending that they're the real deal. Invicta I sort of see as being a bit blatant, while MKII seam to be more of an independent watchmaker trying to find a niche by building replicas. They're doing a Seamaster 300 replica now by the looks, I just wish they'd put their talent into some more original designs, since they clearly have some skill.

4. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Jun 9, 2011

I think it's more a testament to the original design that others seek to imitate it. Invicta isn't the only brand out there that do homages to the classic Sub Date look - there are plenty worse imitations too! If you ever wanted to know what a Sub Date would look like in hot pink plastic, then look no further than Toy Watch. As long as they don't put "Rolex" or "Omega" on the dial, then I don't have much of a problem - they're not trying to be the real deal, and anyone with half a brain won't try to pass it off as such.

As for Mk II, I think they're filling a nice gap in the market - the designs they're basing their models on are no longer in production, and can be extremely difficult to find. It's a modern interpretation of a vintage classic, and I would argue that it adds to the mystique of the original rather than devalues it :thumbsup:

5. Anchorman Jul 17, 2011

I'd rather see someone wear one of those watches than a fake Rolex and trying to pass it off as real.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 17, 2011

Agreed, people that wear fakes are not people, they're posers... The only people that can appreciate a quality Swiss watch are the same people that can spot a fake from 5 meters away.

7. Steve Jul 18, 2011

I agree, on holiday last year a guy was walking around and swimming in what seemed like a very nice gold Submariner, you know the type of guy. tanned white teeth, but later that night at dinner I was behind him at the buffet and on closer inspection of his shiny 'Submariner' I noticed there was more condensation behind the glass than what was on the salad counter !!. I just walked away smiling :)

8. Anchorman Jul 18, 2011

Fake tan. Fake teeth. Why not a fake watch?

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 18, 2011

At the Gold Coast here in Queensland thats often what you see (along with the fake blonde girlfriend with the fake... well you get the idea)

Its a bit sad really because they get nothing out of it, none of the appreciation you get for a quality timepiece, and the very thing they seem to be looking for, attention and social status disappears as soon as someone that actually does know watches calls them out on it (and there are many collectors down there too).

10. ulackfocus Aug 1, 2011

But to them, they are getting something out of it - they believe they are fooling people into thinking they have money and live a cushy life. Know what? They are in most cases. They have their ways and if it doesn't hurt me than live & let live. I won't so much as even converse with them even if they start one but I won't jump up & down yelling "FAKE ROLEX! SPRAY ON TAN! FAKE B**BS!".

11. Steve Aug 2, 2011

I agree, But what gets my back up is these web sites openly selling ''Replica Watches'',How can they get away with it ?, and i know people buy these and try to sell then on as the real thing !!.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 2, 2011

There are actually some brick and mortar shops in Sydney currently selling reps (I'm talking Rolex on the dial, not alternate branded like Invicta). The same thing has occurred to me, why the department of fair trading doesn't just walk right in and arrest them. Trading posts and classifieds are full of them too, usually $20 piece of crap Chinese reps being sold at $150 or so to those foolish enough to pay it.

You can can buy a real Seiko Monster automatic for $150. Why in heaven's name would anyone pay the same money for Chinese garbage over that?!

13. Trev The Architect Staff Member Aug 2, 2011

There's Australian businesses operating online store fronts selling fakes too. Fully registered, etc.

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 2, 2011

Its one thing in Bali, its another thing entirely in Australia, be keen to find out which of the many superflous government departments here handles that sort of thing.

15. Steve Aug 2, 2011

There's a UK website selling replica 40th anniversary speedmasters for £350 ! why the hell would you buy a fake for that amount ?? when you could, like Ashley said buy a Seiko Monster automatic or even the excellent Citizen Skyhawk chrono eco-drive ??.

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 2, 2011

350 quid gets you into some nice vintage Omegas or most TAG Quartz models too

17. Steve Aug 2, 2011

I know. i dont know how anyone could buy these watches at such a price. These watches will not stand the test of time, where as a lovely vintage Omega Constellation would still out live most of us !!.

18. ulackfocus Apr 20, 2014

Um…..

[​IMG]

I already know all I need to know about Invicta. ::puke::

BTW, you're screen name is begging for a custom title right after it. ::stirthepot::

19. Trev The Architect Staff Member Apr 20, 2014

He was just a spammer anyhow, gone now.

This is Invicta, so I wouldn't be surprised if spamming was part of their official marketing strategy.

ulackfocus likes this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 20, 2014

I don't consider either of these companies to be producing fakes. For me, a fake watch has the name of another brand on the dial. Invicta and certainly Mk II don't do this. Invicta mainly makes junk that they market in a slimy way, with overblown retail pricing and deep discounts. They don't make fakes, but their marketing alone is enough to turn my stomach.

Mk II is another story completely making "homage" watches that are patterned after classics. Precista is another company that does the same thing, focusing on older military watches.

I don't own a watch from either brand, but I have worked on a couple of Mk II watches, and they were very well made pieces actually.

I agree that buying a Seiko is better than buying a true fake, but keep in mind that even Seiko and countless other brands have made watches in the style if a DateJust...probably the most copied watch design in history...

Cheers, Al