Forums Latest Members

Introduction to the Omega Forums and an issue with my Trilogy Speedy

1. whitestripes Mar 15, 2018

Hey all,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the Omega Forums (been a regular member of WUS for over 10 years). I discovered this forum recently, but my collection obviously skews toward Omega, as the 3570 Speedy Pro was my first grail which I got around 2007, which I bought, and sold, and bought many variants of. Please see my collection below - I'm a fan of Omegas obviously and vintage styled watches as well.
    UjY9j0vlTx6vlfbtFstF2Q.jpg YWcP6AGTQ3yxmpgFtGWDOQ.jpg
    I picked up the 60th trilogy Speedy as one of my grails, and it was my most expensive watch purchase at the time but I had to have it. When it arrived I thought it was perfect, especially the case size - I think the slightly smaller case size vs the Pro makes it much more classic and perfectly fits my 7.25" wrist.

I had it for a few weeks when I was timing something and the chrono seconds hand was stopped at 00:59 and I noticed that the minute totalizer already hit 1 (see video below).

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:75.0%"><iframe src="
    " width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

I've had more Speedy Pros than I'd care to count over the years - 3570, 3572 (x2), 3573, and a NOS 145.012, and none of them had this issue. I took it to the Omega boutique at Beverly Center in Los Angeles about a month ago and the sales person immediately saw it and sent it off for servicing, quoted me 8-10 weeks. I got the call today saying it was ready, but that it was running at spec and they had replaced a part. I told her that it wasn't at spec and I would not accept it if it had the same problem.

I got off work late but was able to go to the boutique and I checked it - same problem (which is when I took the video). I had the manager come and examine it - it took him a double take but he acknowledged the problem. Now I am out the watch again to get it shipped to their Seattle service center.

This is a huge falling out of Omega QC x 2, once at factory and once at service center despite being clearly told what the issue was. I've had at least 5 speedy pros in the last 10 years and all of them started the minute flip at 59 and finished at 00. This one is by far my most expensive and it starts at 58 and flips over almost a second before 12.

Am I being ridiculous in expecting the minute totalizer to cross over at 60 instead of 59 in a MRSP $7250 watch? My Seiko panda 6138 from 1977 flips at 60, all my other Speedy pros flip at 60...

I know it's a tiny flaw but at this price point I expect it to work perfectly out of the factory. And especially after I sent it back for a month after only having it a couple months. At this point it's going to spend more time in service than I've had it.

For the money the Sub is starting to look good, and I'm an Omega fan boy.

Tet and mikechi22 like this.
  2. Meme-Dweller Mar 15, 2018

Welcome. That issue with the Speedy is common. I'm sure some else here could give a more technical reason... *cough* Archer *cough*, but it's one I've seen on a couple watches in person.

3. rohnin Mar 16, 2018

Mine does that, too

4. Watchmutt Mar 16, 2018

As does mine.

5. Nla91 Mar 16, 2018

Mine does that too. I took it to a Omega shop and the watchmaker said it was normal.
    I do think it shows a lack of quality check by Omega. It is still a very expensive watch and none of my vintages Omegas have that problem.

6. whitestripes Mar 16, 2018

I think this should be fixable especially since I brought it up. It's obviously a lack of attention to detail since my other speedies don't have it.

Edited Mar 16, 2018
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 17, 2018

Omega specs say:

"After fitting the hands, check that the minute recorder hand jumps when the chronograph hand passes over .12 o’clock."

Like this:

I'm seeing this complaint a lot on various forums these days, so it seems to be a common issue right now, but it is certainly not normal or correct. Keep pushing them to make it right.

Cheers, Al

8. jaguar11 Mar 17, 2018

Nice collection! Wear in good health.

9. Seaman Mar 17, 2018

Very nice introduction and of course very nice collection. Keep going..:)

Pun likes this.
  10. mrchen Mar 18, 2018

Just noticed that my FOIS has this issue as well. I use the chrono pretty often and it's never bothered me until I'm just now becoming aware that it's an issue.

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 18, 2018

*cue everyone checking their own watches*

cfracing and Meme-Dweller like this.
  12. texasmade Mar 18, 2018

I just checked my FOIS and mine jumps at 59 seconds also.

13. Donn Chambers Mar 18, 2018

Yep. Decided to check my FOiS. It looks like the one in the video Archer posted — starts to move just after 59 seconds and clicks to a stop at exact 60 seconds. Guess that means it’s okay.

14. whitestripes Mar 18, 2018

I'm glad I'm getting more support. Once I saw it I couldn't unsee it and had to get it fixed. Even though it meant it's been in the shop longer than I've had it on my wrist.

15. tritto Mar 19, 2018

Well that's not something I'd ever thought to look at. My cal 861 minute counter starts to move at 59 and snaps to the next tick as the second counter hits 00. Since I had to find out, if you stop the chrono between 59 and 00, the minute counter will also immediately stop part way between the ticks (I wondered if it would keep going to the next tick).

cfracing likes this.
  16. mrchen Mar 19, 2018

Although I acknowledge it as something out of spec with a watch under warranty, I don't think I'll be sending mine in to be corrected any time soon. It's a pretty common issue, and IMO just one of the facets of owning a mechanical watch. We could stress all day till the cows come home about the value that we think luxury goods should provide for us. Ultimately, my watch is working perfectly fine and that fact that my minute counter doesn't strike exactly at 12:00 won't change the fact that I pretty much exclusively use the chrono to time hard boiled eggs-- which it is still perfectly good for.

Dedalus05 likes this.
  17. cfracing Mar 19, 2018

Thanks for posting that observation. I also was wondering if the minute counter hand would stop if you stopped the chrono between 59 and 00 on a "properly" operating 1861 like in Archer's video, and now I know. My 60th Anniv. Speedy doesn't stop. It continues to click to the next minute, which I guess is not what it is supposed to do. :( However, I'm not sure I am upset about it enough to send it back just yet since I only received my watch in December. What are others doing?

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 19, 2018

It depends on exactly when you stop it - if the tooth of the minute counter is already past the peak of the jumper, it will carry on changing - that in itself is not a fault.

19. cfracing Mar 19, 2018

I have tried stopping the chronograph at different places between 59 and 60 , and the minute counter hand always advances. So the issue is the tooth on the minute counter is "misaligned" so it is past the peak of the jumper when the chrono sweep hand passes 59? How difficult is it to correct?

20. teojjsg Mar 19, 2018

Same with mine. Will not send it in though. Such a new watch and omega is notorious for returning it with more scratches and/or dust particles between dial and hesalite.

Won't want any heartpain with this beauty.