Forums Latest Members

Introduction, and looking for input...

1. Starman71 Dec 30, 2017

Hello folks!
    My first introduction to nice watches was when I inherited my grandfather's Omega Seamaster gifted to him by my father in the 60's. I watched some old movie where the protagonist is stranded and trades his Omega for a boat. A decade ago I bought my own Seamaster with the gorgeous blue wavy dial and have worn it ever since. I am thinking its time for an upgrade to celebrate a milestone, and pretty much had my heart set on a Rolex Submariner. Unfortunately the AD's in my city have low inventory, and not very personable (stand at the counter and show you one at a time sort of deal). Then I walked into an an Omega AD (plus other brands like ORIS, Hamilton, Tissot, etc) and the guy was super personable, spent over an hour with me showing me watches and getting to know what I value (uniqueness, materials, technology, timelessness - weird combo). He offered to order me a GSotM Meteorite (which I love the idea of - I am a big fan of spaceflight) at a discount to put it in the same price point of the Submariner. However, I have not seen the GSotM in person.

My wife and friends (not watch people) are pretty strongly in favor of the Rolex because of its clean looks and brand recognition. That said, my boss wears a cheaper steel rolex, and even though I think the blue two tone submariner is beautiful, I am worried it would be ostentatious.

I would never resell. I would make this purchase a daily wear, and want something I can wear with jeans, on the boat, as well as dress in the office, and then hand down to my son one day. I think I have given you Omega forum people plenty of ammo in favor of Omega, but hopefully I can get some input from those of you who own multiple brands on this once in a lifetime purchase decision. Who knows though, I would love to collect more in the future but it wouldn't be at this level.

Thanks in advance for any input!
    Tarnsman

hanky6 likes this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 30, 2017

Wow a lot to unpack there.

But it’s the Rolex dilemma. While not over priced due to the healthy secondary market, quality wise they are not better then Omega, and you can get more Watch with Omega for less money. On the other hand non watch people recognize Rolex more.

While wearing Rolex you will get asked if it’s real. An Omega you will get more “nice watch”. Omega is well known and respected by non Watch people but it’s not the first brand that comes to people’s minds.

For these reasons you get a pretty clear set of opposing thoughts in regards to Rolex....

You get Rolex or death guys that hang out on therolexforum, which tend to be very dismissive of other brands and generally are not called nice names by most people. Think a D word followed by bag...

Collectors that refuse to own Rolex watches as they are too mainstream and overpriced for what you get. IE they think every new lawyer or Doctor wants a nice watch and they go and buy a Rolex Submariner, which has more then a bit of truth to it.

This forum tends a bit towards the later but exists somewhere in the middle. My personal thoughts is vintage rolex is cool, and shows that you have spent your time finding cool older pieces and didn't do the brainless option. Personally while I am near the later if I did own a Sub it would be a non ceramic bezel with the cyclops as if I am wearing I sub I want the cyclops that very obviously is part of the Rolex design language and makes the watch stand out more as a Rolex. Yeah confusing and cross purpose lol...

For new Rolex's the New Stainless Sky Dweller is a somewhat good bargin with a great movement and I think looks way more expensive then it is, and dresses up and down very well. While a Datejust does the same, the Skydweller looks like a million bucks, but are priced at $14,400 in Blue or black with gold bezel and stainless case. Between a bi metal sub and the new Skydweller it is no question as they are the same price.

The GSOTM Meteor is a great watch and looks great in person, but I would try on one of the watches that are the same case size and make sure you like the size of it. They are not dainty... But without question is alot more watch with a better movement then anything Rolex has right now. the only thing similar would be a Meteor dial Daytona, which are 20k used and not nearly as nice looking and do not use a Rolex movement but a modified Zenith movement, which is leaps and bounds behind the current Omega Chronograph movements with better power reserve, longer service intervals, full magnetic resistance, and better shock protection. The new ceramic Daytona with the inhouse Chronograph is pretty much inline with the Omegas, but this watch just came out.

hrfdez, gdupree, Starman71 and 2 others like this.
  3. ICONO Dec 30, 2017

A warm welcome to the Forum.

Forget what other people like…they are not wearing it

Buy what you like…and can nearly afford

Try lots of alternatives on your wrist,…question the deal, you are getting ?,… shop around, & finally…Go with your gut feeling

Then come back and show us, please ?

Starman71, Florin, Nevada06 and 2 others like this.
  4. Starman71 Dec 30, 2017

Thanks Icono, I certainly will come back and show you once I've made a decision, and probably to talk about what should come next!

neilfrancis likes this.
  5. kwiklot Dec 31, 2017

Awesome I think the meteorite is a good looking watch, a tad big for me but we all have different tastes. Good luck with your decision it should be a fun getting there.

Starman71 likes this.
  6. Starman71 Jan 3, 2018

So it came down to the GSotM Meteorite or the PO Deep Black with Sedna bezel for me. I had to decide unseen but placed the deposit and order. We will see tomorrow or the next day if it’s “it”.

7. jud Jan 3, 2018

Interested to see your final choice. Good luck!

8. Starman71 Jan 4, 2018

335D80A1-41FD-430D-A41E-F475CB02BBD1.jpeg I got the call and just picked up my new Grey Side of the Moon! I'm giddy! I will post a write up of the things I like about the watch and why I chose it later, but wanted to post a pic.

hrfdez, any4xx, mikechi22 and 2 others like this.
  9. kwiklot Jan 4, 2018

Looks good to me giddiness would be where I was at too at that point. Congrats

Starman71 likes this.
  10. kkt Jan 5, 2018

"Never wear a nicer watch than your boss." I think it's one of the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition.

It's true that a Rolex would get you more recognition, however it would cut both ways. Some would be thinking "great watch" and others thinking "first professional job and wants to impress people without knowing much about watches".

I would caution you not to try to get one watch to be all things. Wearing a sports watch (seamaster, moonwatch) to the office is okay in some offices, though I would lean against it. Wearing it to a play or ballet in the evening would not be appropriate, in my opinion of course. However, a dress watch need not be expensive. A vintage steel DeVille or Geneve could be picked up off the forsale board on Omega Forums for $500 or so.

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 5, 2018

I bought my modern GMT because I wanted an attractive bomb proof watch for travel and sport and yea, Rolex. I also own a 5513 and a 1675. Don’t hate Rolex because of ubiquity. They really are amazing, well built and finished watches.

12. 77deluxe Jan 7, 2018

I think at some point I have worn a Speedy and a Sub 5513 (not at the same time) to every social and business related function imaginable. Sometimes you have to break the fashion rules to acknowledge them.

Starman71 likes this.
  13. GordonL Jan 7, 2018

I had no idea that there were watch "fashion rules"! I wear whatever I like, whenever I want and I strongly suspect that no one else even notices what I'm wearing unless I point it out.....maybe this is where I've been going wrong in life lol.

Starman71 likes this.
  14. SeanO Jan 15, 2018

then you're moving in the wrong circles if the people you are with aren't judging you about the watch on your wrist.

15. GordonL Jan 16, 2018

Well I can see that now!

16. Starman71 Jan 16, 2018

I can say that not a single person has commented on my GSOTM so far. Most of the people I work with wear smart watches (except my boss with his Rolex). As far as my friends go, they have no clue what is on my wrist. If they had any idea they would call me insane. I guess @SeanO would say I need new friends!

17. kkt Jan 16, 2018

Yeah... get a nice watch because YOU like them, not because you expect lots of recognition from others. A little surprised your boss hasn't noticed though.

18. Uniqez Jan 16, 2018

Why would you care about the other people? Enjoy your watch!

19. Starman71 Feb 19, 2018

I was driving this afternoon and it was bright and sunny, the first time wearing my watch in bright sunlight. Entirely new patterns in silver popped from the meteor dial at various angles. Sorry, there was no way to photograph this while driving over the pass in the snow.

2EA09912-0C13-4C3E-BD5E-35DB0F045E5A.jpeg

kkt, mikechi22 and michael22 like this.
  20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 20, 2018

Where is that photo from
    I'm booking a ticket tomorrow

Live in tropical Northern Australia and just got home from work and I am sitting in front of the air conditioner trying to cool down after a hot and humid day.

Starman71 likes this.