Forums Latest Members

introduction and interesting UG piece

1. theKfactor May 6, 2014

Gentlemen,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I've become interested in UG after following rolex for some time. Interested in making my first UG purchase in the near future after learning more form the forum and you fine folks. Very interested in purchasing a compax or tri-compax.

I came across this piece and it seemed interesting as it seems it has a "doctor's" function. Looks re-done but very attractive (but very $$$$)

Looking forward to interacting with all of you

http://www.farfo.com/menswatches/Pa...k_gold_vintage_medical_chronograph_watch.html

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 6, 2014

Great taste. Love the lugs and square push button.
    The site swears several time that the dial is original and not redone.
    I am not UG dial expert and not so sure about its originality, let's wait other more experts in UG to chime in.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 6, 2014

First thing to note is that it's 32.5mm in diameter - that's really quite small, and for me below the boundary of wearability for a chronograph. Second, for a 1945 watch I would have expected a case reference number as well as a serial number. That would help verify the case. I'd want to see both inner and outer caseback before committing any funds. I agree the dial looks redone.

4. ulackfocus May 6, 2014

It's a redial. International Dial can do UG very well and I've seen some nice work come from them. They used to be across the street from UG when both companies were in NY and (IIRC) ID did many UG original dials.

5. timeismoney May 6, 2014

The dial also looks refinished and the hands at least looks relumed to me. I am suspicious because the sub-dials inking being so much darker than the minute marker...This is purely my speculations based on what I have seen of course. I hope this helps.

6. theKfactor May 7, 2014

i was a little suspicious...they're asking a good amount of $$$ and i had never seen that sort of dial so i thank you all for the advice....

7. woodwkr2 May 10, 2014

I'm a little suspicious of those hands as well--not just the reluming, I'm not certain that they are from Universal at all.

8. theKfactor May 10, 2014

thanks for the warm welcome to all...I find everyone's knowledge here astounding given that I'm relatively new to the vintage game...

as I'm fine tuning my eye for UG pieces and now that you guys have chimed in I'm definitely gonna pass on this one. The dial caught my eye....

Looking to purchase my first UG piece...if anyone has a lead on a compax/tri-compax it would be appreciated...

Have a great day gentlemen...