Forums Latest Members

Introducing The Time 4A Pint Podcast

1. tyrantlizardrex Mar 26, 2017

Over the last 6 months, I've had a lot of time on my hands.

In all seriousness, going from a 60 hour week at a slightly insane tech startup to nothing has not been easy.

So I started looking for things to fill my days.

You may have noticed that the casual London GTG of March 2016, turned into time4Apint come November 2016, and by March 2017 had branding, a sponsor, 33 people, and name badges (a revelation).

I've been having a lot of fun doing that, and along the way met some really interesting people, and heard some great stories... so thought it would be fun to share them.

Realising my not so secret desire to be a reporter on This American Life, or Radio 4 - I bring you the time4Apint podcast... episode 1.

https://www.time4apint.com/podcast/2017/3/25/the-time-4a-pint-podcast-episode-1

Would love to hear your thoughts - a gentle reminder that throwing fruit and vegetables is permitted, but please no stones.

You can subscribe through iTunes here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-time-4a-pint-podcast/id1220029799?mt=2

Cheers

Edited Apr 1, 2017
    Maganator, Hattrick, Baz9614 and 33 others like this.
  2. akshayluc420 Mar 26, 2017

Sounds great Chris! Looking forward to more podcasts :)

noelekal and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  3. Longbow Mar 26, 2017

Respect! I like it Chris but I'm struggling to reconcile your gentle tones on that blog with your biting text here on OF.

I had a strange incling that you might do something like this after you mentioned that you had been made redundant; with visions of you doing a video blog on YouTube..a sort of "thinking man's" Archie Luxury. So, my feedback is.....be a bit more like the the tyrantlizardrex.

Cheers

Nick

P.S. Looks like you are going on a similar journey to Nick Williams, the author of "The Work We Were Born To Do".

4. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Mar 26, 2017

Well that is not what I expected you to sound like. But that was definitely enjoyable and I look forward to hearing the next episodes!

Are you wearing the Cookie Monster suit while recording? I want to hear about that at some point :p

Kreindog24 likes this.
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 26, 2017

Sounds very distinguished and serious. "Lord Mann"

Nothing like Archie :rolleyes:

watchme, marcn, Mad Dog and 1 other person like this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 26, 2017

Yea, the interwebs don't need another Archie, in fact we likely don't need the Archie we have. Restrained English accent is less damaging to headphone users than angry man yelling into a microphone about... I honestly don't even know what Archie's saying most of the time.

I share a city with that man by the way by some luck of the draw.

7. tyrantlizardrex Mar 26, 2017

I'm sure I've told the Cookie Monster suit story? No?

For the 2014 Christmas Staff party at the aforementioned tech startup, we were all meant to be getting dressed up in animal onesies, and going out for a night of pink pong.

That sentence probably tells you more about the startup I worked for than any investor documentation, ever would... and begins to explain why they have let so many people go.

Anyway - the ping pong was booked for 10pm for some reason... but the drinking started at 3pm, in the office, with shots of Jagermeister - by the time we got to the ping pong place at 10pm, were... in less than optimal condition.

I was wearing the cookie monster suit when I left the ping pong place, I was wearing it in the bar we went to after that, I was wearing it when I got on the night bus to go home... I think... but the next morning, when I awoke on the couch, wearing a t-shirt, boxer shorts, shoes and socks, the cookie monster was no where to be seen.

It wasn't in the flat, I don't remember taking it off... it is one of those great drinking mysteries.

Edited Mar 26, 2017
  8. tyrantlizardrex Mar 26, 2017

I agree with you there Ash... and also to the recording kit...

9. KstateSkier Mar 26, 2017

Your voice sounds nothing like I was expecting based on your avatar :)

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Might make it to London this year for a client project (my company has an office there). Would love to GTG for a pint.

Love this idea, keep it going Chris!

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 26, 2017

Hey .. having met you in person recently the voice was not surprising. You could easily do voice over work! Anyway love the idea.

11. Just Livin Mar 26, 2017

Like it a lot. Great idea. And look forward to the interviews. I sense we will be getting to put lots of voices to avatars. Should be interesting and fun.

12. tyrantlizardrex Mar 26, 2017

Well volunteered Joe ;)

Looking forward to talking Yachting timers ;)

Just Livin likes this.
  13. Just Livin Mar 26, 2017

:eek:

14. lillatroll Mar 26, 2017

Well it took me about an hour to download the podcast app thingy but sounds like a great project and I am looking forward to hearing your first interview. Good luck.

15. RJwatches Mar 26, 2017

Sounds good, please keep posting them on here!

16. tyrantlizardrex Mar 26, 2017

Thanks for the support everyone!

Please like and follow on Soundcloud if you're able... and if you have watch friends who aren't on here that you could share it with, that would be amazing.

Volunteers to be interviewed... roll up, roll up.

Very well volunteered by the way @Just Livin and with that injury you can't run away! :p

Just Livin likes this.
  17. lillatroll Mar 26, 2017

Shared on Facebook. As far as I know I am the only one into watches amongst my friends. I do have one friend who is a producer for a TV company, they make goggle box amongst other shows, you never know she might fall for your velvet tones and make your reporter dreams come true. Malawi is a bit far from London, otherwise I would have volunteered.
    If you want I can pm her and ask her to listen. Who knows, you could be giving David Vine a run for his money :)

18. Private_Doberman Mar 26, 2017

A really good idea, and you sound like a Professional. Well done!

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 26, 2017

As said by a few, not the voice I expected

I think I'm the fat fingered guy that hit report instead of like today :eek:

20. Riviera Paradise Mar 26, 2017

Chris,

Great idea!

A "talking watches" for the "ordinary collector"...without Hodinkee's "celebrity" thing or the ProdigalFools "posh" thing. Plan to be in London next year around July...if there is a time4apint event, I will certainly take part. I don't think my watch collecting journey is in anyway interesting enough yet to get more involved at this stage...I will be listening to the upcoming episodes and learning.

Let me know if you might want to do a future special "Time4Coconuts" at Ipanema beach in Rio;):)

Cheers,

Bruno

Edited Mar 26, 2017
    Jwit and tyrantlizardrex like this.