Forums Latest Members
  1. jonohio Apr 27, 2017

Hi folks,

This is my first post, but i've been reviewing the boards for a few months now. Now that i have found my first Omega I figured it's time to actually register. It's a 2531.80.00 Bond with luminova dials, I think it's from the late 1990s/early 2000s.

I found this last week and fell in love. I'm quite happy the bezel is not a mess and the glass is clean. I don't have any history on the watch but I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on next steps with the watch on two fronts.]

1. I plan to send it to a local shop in Ohio (once I find one) for a service - the watch is running very fast - like 2 minutes a day. Any recommendations? Or perhaps I should spend the big bucks and send it to Omega for a factory service?

2. The hands appear to be original and they are starting to corrode, It's not bad yet, but it's something that I dislike. Should I have them replaced or keep them original? Is there any danger to the watch movement if I leave them original?

Happy to be officially onboard.

- Jonathon

2017-04-27 21.24.07.jpg
    alam, R3D9, Bushido and 1 other person like this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 27, 2017

It's new enough to send to Omega for a full service for several years of enjoyment after a service (that will make it like new) they will replace the hands also.

Bushido likes this.
  3. Bushido Apr 27, 2017

Welcome to the forums!

Also:
    Also my recommendation^

What made you pull the trigger on this SM as your first Omega?

4. jonohio Apr 28, 2017

Thanks guys. As to why THIS one - I was looking for a watch around $2k after full service and always loved the Brosnan wave dial smp. When I saw this I knew it would be a great every day wearer. For service I just shipped it off to nesbits and they will be adding links for me.

I also really like the planet ocean chrono with the orange bezel and buttons, but i'm not at a place where I need to spend $4k on another watch right now.

Foo2rama and R3D9 like this.
  5. R3D9 Apr 28, 2017

6. R3D9 Apr 28, 2017

Oops... just realized you wanted the chrono version... still, though ;)

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. jonohio Apr 28, 2017

That is a slick watch, I did see that but, I generally like chrono, however I'll think about it.....It does look sharp once you look past the monkey marks. I wouldn't be able to put up with the case scratches though....

R3D9 likes this.
  8. R3D9 Apr 28, 2017

I hear you! When making a big first purchase like this, you need to buy the one within your budget that truly calls out to you... which is not always the best "deal"

That said, that PO is a killer watch from a great seller.

Cheers and congrats on making your first Omega purchase!

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 28, 2017

If you don't like scratches don't wear the watch. You'll get desk diver marks on the watch the first time you sit down at a computer while wearing it.

Enjoy it and let it gets its personality. Don't wear it while riding a bike in case you go down. That's what beaters are for.

R3D9 likes this.
  10. R3D9 Apr 28, 2017

This 100% - I can assure you that whatever you buy will only look new for a week or so. Then, you'll bump it on something and freak out for two weeks or so until you one day notice five other scratches and then you panic and wonder if you even deserve to own something so nice and then three weeks later you wake up and for some reason you no longer care so much and, in fact, start to love the little scratches and dings on the case because that is what make it YOUR watch and not the watch that 100,000 other people own.

Trust me... what you see on that PO is nothing but the normal, honest wear that anyone who actually wears a watch ends up with. I promise you that is 10x better than a watch that's been polished to look perfect again, but lacks the sharp angles of its original state.

I felt the exact same as you did when I first started getting into watches... I promise you, it'll pass ;)

e46rj and ahartfie like this.
  11. jonohio Apr 28, 2017

I completely agree with your perspective. To be clear, I don't mind scratches from use, but scratches from someone changing bracelets, to me those kind of scratches are unnecessary. That's where I get turned off.

Thank you for the words of wisdom. On service marks, to each their own.

12. pianomankd Apr 28, 2017

Love this watch!!