Forums Latest Members
  1. Redwheelbarrow May 5, 2014

For those experienced with international acquisitions, what are your recommendations for shipping and customs. Many advise against Fedex for it fine print that limits insurance claims and excessive customs and duty fees. Some advise DHL Express fully insured and for older watches marking the import "watch parts" or "watch for parts". What method have you found most efficient and effective? Thank you in advance!

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 5, 2014

To my knowledge, all of the shipping companies (including USPS) have very strict limitations on liability for jewelry and watches. I know that there are several foreign based insurance companies that will cover such shipments, but they have to be done a certain way. Perhaps some members can comment on that.

If you put something on the customs form that is not correct, then you are risking having the whole thing confiscated at the border. Is it worth the risk to you to save a few bucks in customs duty? Remember that a private courier is far more likely to have packages inspected. Since they charge extra fees for clearing customs, they don't mind incurring such charges on your behalf.

If you are in the US, then I would say your best bet is local EMS (express mail) that will be handed off to USPS Global Express once here in the USA. I've never had any customs or delivery issues this way.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. lando May 6, 2014

Don't use FedEx if sending to Switzerland. They have been charging me 4x the customs amount that would have been correct and because I could not send them one document (because it doesn't exist), they refused to change it to the correct amount. (f#¢@¦§¬ a¢¢°@#¬¢)