Forums Latest Members

Interesting Youtube article on Accutron Astronaut and the X-15 project

1. redpcar Dec 27, 2017

A relationship I was unaware of. Interesting.

2. redpcar Dec 27, 2017

Text from youtube:
    Here are all the facts I have gathered about the little known 1962 astronaut watches. The first "astronaut" made in all stainless steel was made in 1962 and in that first year it had what's called a "simple" black dial that did not say "astronaut" and did not have "dots" between the hour markers, also it had no luminous paint over the hour markers, that very first "astronaut" watch used the Bulova Accutron Hand Set "white spade (painted) WS-25" which is listed in the 1963 Bulova ABC Catalog, It is also the same hand set Bulova was using at that time on all of the aerospace clocks, timers, and timer switches. The 1962 Astronaut watch came with only one type of bracelet, the early applied logo Kreisler USA Coffin Link Bracelet. Later that same year the first thing Bulova changed was to add luminous paint to the hour markers on the dial and to add a luminous hand set to go with the now luminous dial hour markers but the dial still did not say "astronaut" and it did not have luminous dots between the hour markers yet. On 17 July 1962, Robert White wearing his Astronaut watch (all X-15 pilots were given one of the first astronaut watches) took the X-15 to an altitude (59.6 mi or 95.9 km) what NASA considered to be "Space". In late 1962/early 1963 Bulova added the "ASTRONAUT" on the dial to commemorate (and further capitalize) on the 17 July 1962 event Later in 1963 the luminous dots were added between the hour markers and with the exception of the Swiss made astronaut and the 14kt covered lug astronaut with the enhanced dial, all black dials had luminous dots between the hour markers and said "astronaut" from then on, only the Swiss made astronauts never had dots on the dials between the hour markers and the black enhanced dial used with the 14kt astronauts had dots only they were triangular. Then sometime in 1964 they switched to the "bullet" bracelet. From then on the evolution of the Accutron Astronaut slowed way down with relatively small changes made to it over the rest of it's live. The Bulova Accutron Astronaut and mainly it's advanced 214 tuning fork movement paved the way into space and to the moon starting with the X-15 program and ending with Apollo program and that is a FACT !!! The Accutron Astronaut was the first American watch in space, and was worn by a number of NASA astronauts. Mercury pilot L. Gordon 'Gordo' Cooper Jr. flight-tested both the Accutron Astronaut and the Omega Speedmaster during his 22-orbit May 24, 1962 mission; Cooper noted that the Speedmaster had lost time due to the severe G-forces experienced during liftoff, while the Accutron remained unaffected. It is a popular myth among Omega enthusiasts that Cooper used his Speedmaster to time the retro burn during atmospheric re-entry. However, according to his autobiography Leap of Faith, Cooper used his Astronaut to time the retro burn, resulting in the most accurate splashdown achieved during the Mercury program. The Accutron Astronaut would be adopted by both the USAF and the CIA for several early and important high speed flight programs. As touted in a Bulova magazine adevertisement from 1962, the Astronaut was given to all pilots in the X-15 program. The Astronaut was worn by USAF pilot Joe Walker during his record-setting high altitude flight in 1963; pilot Robert M. White also wore an Astronaut, strapped around the large-diameter wrist of his pressure suit with a 17-inch strap made by Bulova that at the time set a record for the longest watch band. Following its adoption by the X-15 program, the Accutron Astronaut was selected for the CIA's A-12 strategic reconnaissance program. All A-12 pilots were issued an Accutron Astronaut, which was worn in a small pocket on the left-hand glove of the pilot's pressure suit. As stated by CIA pilot Frank Murray, the Accutron Astronaut was "the only watch that could sustain reliable operation in the A-12 cockpit environment", and was impervious to the 140F temperatures experienced inside the A-12 cockpit. U-2 Pilots were also known to use the Accutron Astronaut as well !

3. Tubber Dec 28, 2017

Excellent post and very informative.

4. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 28, 2017

I love the www. This is also interesting.

redpcar likes this.
  5. henrikaa Dec 28, 2017

Gold right here. Thanks for sharing! It is always super interesting to learn more about the use of these time pieces.

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 28, 2017

Love these, here's mine, currently on a modern mesh but seeing that pic in the link from M_a_L above makes me want to try it on leather:

[​IMG]

7. redpcar Dec 28, 2017

I still prefer the Bullet :)
    Astronaut Bullet.jpg

Walrus and Tubber like this.
  8. Tubber Dec 29, 2017

The Coffin link ones are also pretty good looking.

9. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 3, 2018

10. strick9 Jan 4, 2018

I love both of the bands

11. bobbee Sep 4, 2018

The only "example" seen of the 1962 Accutron Astronaut with pear hands was a faked one, made up from parts by the poster of the YouTube video.

Etp095 likes this.
  12. asrnj77 Sep 5, 2018

My Astronaut has the warranty card signed by “Chief of Boat” of the USS Ethan Allen, a nuclear sub from the 1960’s. So unlike its brethren in space my lived under water. I imagine when the sub went silent you could still hear that watch’s high pitched buzzing

13. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 8, 2018

My article: PM if interested ::book::
    2_x15.jpg

OmegaP99, Walrus, Omegafanman and 3 others like this.
  14. bobbee Sep 8, 2018

I found many of the serial numbers of the CIA Accutron Astronauts, and have been searching for them on eBay and other watch sites.
    Have yet to find one... :(

OmegaP99 likes this.
  15. Waltesefalcon Sep 10, 2018

My Astronaut is possibly my favorite watch. I'll need to wear it tomorrow.

16. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 10, 2018

Why? Are you going up in an X-15?

17. Waltesefalcon Sep 10, 2018

I wish, I just figured I'd wear it so I could take a picture for WRUW and also post it here.

padders likes this.
  18. pdxleaf ... Aug 19, 2020

Question about the script.

I have seen "Acutron Astronaut" (AA), "Acutron Bulova Astronaut" (ABA) and the more widely available "Bulova Acutron Astronaut" (BAA).

It seems the 2 line AA was the first astronaut (great writeup OP, thanks). When did the BAA come into production? Did it overlap the AA? Any knowledge about why Bulova changed the script or if there were other changes besides the script (just marketing?) I know there were several variations of plots offered but not sure if this came into play with the added Bulova.

Regarding the Acutron Bulova Astronaut, the ones i have seen look legit. Were they produced? Is it possible Bulova made ABA insread of BAA for markers outside of USA?

Curious. Thanks in advance.

19. Walrus Aug 19, 2020

I see these on occasion in the wruw wearing thread. Something about these always struck me. I complemented the gentleman who had it turned out he had an additional one he showed later that day or the next. They were both beautiful. Who knows maybe I’ll run into one someday I have always appreciated them but that “always” is only since I knew they existed which is only a couple years now.

20. pdxleaf ... Aug 19, 2020

It's fun when we discover a "new to us" watch, right? Plenty of that for me from this forum. That was me with this script thing. I bought a Bulova Accutron Astronaut only to discover there were these ones without the Bulova. They say Buzz Aldrin threw one in a crater for a continuing experiment. Plenty of history to appreciate about the accutron astronauts. Love the no crown too.

Hope your Moms move went well. Thinking about your family.

Cheers.