Forums Latest Members

Interesting X-33 prototype on the 'bay...

1. rcs914 Aug 31, 2016

2. tyrantlizardrex Aug 31, 2016

So... In the listing, he's basically admitting to selling stolen goods.

Odd. :rolleyes:

3. rcs914 Aug 31, 2016

You say stolen, he says "liberated to the private market" - potato, potahto.

4. tyrantlizardrex Aug 31, 2016

Wonder how NASA/Omega feel about theft of their assets... Lol.

Not even likes he's claiming to have acquired it in a legit way.

Classy. ;)

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 31, 2016

There is a chance it made its way legally into private hands. But with service needs and having to go to Omega for the services. you would think that anyone in the market for this would check with Omega first.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  6. WatchWarlock Aug 31, 2016

I just messaged the seller:

"I am interested in the watch but would like to know how it come into your possession. If it is truly not meant to be released to the public, then I have concerns about the legality of purchasing said piece. What authorization/release paperwork is included?"

Drumroll as we wait...

DaveK and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  7. rcs914 Aug 31, 2016

The Hodinkee article he mentions is very interesting reading:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/crash-in-the-desert-

I liked this paragraph:

"Eventually the watches became commercially available, though Dr. Torman notes quire a few changes were made from the prototypes. "They thought that the cachet of having the same watch as the astronauts were wearing would sell the watch. So the marketing people obviously get involved at some point and I had no interaction with them. But the case of the prototype watch was really terrific in its simplicity and functionality with its fixed bezel. The marketing people ultimately changed the case design to something more modern and less functional and eventually called it the ‘Mars Watch.’. With the commercially available X-33s, Omega put a high polish on the bezel and they changed the pushers from functional round ones to these square ones, which, as an aside, they had problems with as soon as they started selling these things. With the prototypes, there was a real emphasis on function, real functionality, not someone’s imagined uninformed vision of what a pilot’s watch should be.”

8. WatchWarlock Aug 31, 2016

Received a response! Seems legit?

"Thank you for your interest ,
    I acquired the watch about a year ago from a gentleman that I have known for over 20 years , he was the Canadian Omega ( Swatch group ) rep for over 10 years and was during the release of the X33 . He was sent this watch to show the producers of the movie Mission to Mars ,which was being filmed in Vancouver, for possible placement in the movie. They were interested, and as you probably know the production model was featured in the movie, which Omega supplied , so this watch also has a Hollywood connection . The watch later sat in a drawer for many years until I bought it . As you also probably know , this is a very rare thing to come to market , As far as repair goes, the watch was just returned to me from service by an official OMEGA repair centre , Time & Gold in Vancouver Canada . I have emails between myself and Omega CH regarding this watch , to which they responded by congratulating me for owning the watch , I also inquired at the time about repair and I was recommended to use Time & Gold . I want to also point out that I was very specific about the watch case to NOT be repolished to any degree during servicing and they were happy to comply to my request . The watch is intact , small scratches , strap etc from when it was made , mataining it's historical integrity . There is a lot of info about the X 33 on the internet, I would recommend searching "X33 prototype " and also read the article I suggested in my listing .
    Please let me know if you have any further questions.
    Cheers
    Franco"

What do you guys think?

wsfarrell likes this.
  9. rcs914 Aug 31, 2016

Certainly seems plausible. I would venture that his price is probably not out of line, having read more about the rarity of these watches.

10. tyrantlizardrex Aug 31, 2016

So he has paperwork for an official service, from an official centre for it?

11. WatchWarlock Aug 31, 2016

Since I'm not in a position to actually buy it, I thanked him for his response without a follow up question. If you're actually interested in purchasing it, he seems prompt and accommodating in answering questions.

12. rcs914 Aug 31, 2016

Oh god no - I can't afford it right now. No, my one and only '77 Speedy is it for the foreseeable future.

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 31, 2016

It appears so. You know that's something that should be in the description. Anyone interested in this will be educated enough and is going to want to know that and have a question about that exact issue.

Edited Aug 31, 2016
    tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  14. straker-ed Oct 15, 2017

I stumbled upon this thread whilst doing some research tonight. I actually bought the watch in the listing - call me crazy but I've been an X-33 enthusiast since they first came out, found out about them through seeing the film Mission To Mars and always preferred the look of the prototype by far. It was a grail watch for me. He did send me all the info (including service docs and comms with Omega BEFORE I pulled the trigger), is still selling on Ebay and it was an all round successful (if expensive) transaction. I do love this watch, it has some differences especially in the lume and (second) hand colour from the production release. Also the LCD has a different look which I presume has to do with either the polarising or anti reflective coating used later on. The buttons have a much firmer click to them than my 'normal' X-33. Also the band seems to have a permanent curve to it (from either years in the drawer or it was moulded that way..?) Finally it doesn't have normal lug pins at all, they seem to be some kind of semi-industrial metal poles, so you can't change the strap. At least I haven't found a way to get them to budge in any direction. Possibly they were never meant for strap changes anyway.

shoota70, Walrus, Vulffi and 4 others like this.
  15. N1CK Oct 15, 2017

Congrats! Would love to see some side by side shots of the prototype next to the production version!

16. panaitchrono Oct 15, 2017

Too bad that the pictures not available anymore on eBay..I didn't seen it...:(

17. straker-ed Oct 15, 2017

Hi I do have the Ebay listing pics on this computer and will see if they'll upload okay. In the batch there's a pic of an even earlier one as well which is quite interesting - it stands out so you'll spot it.

x33 proto dial.jpg x33 proto early.jpg s-l1600-7.jpg s-l1600-6.jpg s-l1600-5.jpg s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600.jpg
  18. straker-ed Oct 15, 2017

Ok sorry the top two pics are not mine

19. straker-ed Oct 15, 2017

Just in my x33 folder, the top one has one of the rare crocodile straps

20. Tubber Oct 15, 2017

If that's legit it's an amazing watch.The X-33 is vastly under-rated. I just got a Gen 2 back from a battery change and re-seal. About the only thing it has in common with yours is the hands? The dial, bezel, case, pushers and crown on your one are a lot better looking.
    1.jpg