Forums Latest Members

Interesting way to see london...

1. Mothra May 12, 2014

Just thought I'd share my day yesterday - I was doing a charity ride in London where we basically crossed 17 bridges over the Thames while riding 50 miles.

The route looked a bit wiggly in central London (I was doing the orange and the pink bits:

WP_20140512_08_56_24_Pro.jpg

We rode past the shard, Lloyds building and the gherkin, the London eye aquarium, dungeons and BT tower, the houses of parliament and HMS Belfast, Battersea Power Station, London Zoo, the Diana memorial, Harrods and Harvey Nicholls, Houses of Parliament and Big Ben, the royal palaces at Hampton Court, huge chunks of the boat race course and some properly historic bridges.

In the space of a couple of miles we flipped from London buses and taxis to roe deer and

Then evened out a bit as we rode through some of London's parks and towpaths:

WP_20140512_08_56_36_Pro.jpg

The weather had been horrendous overnight - but we are very lucky and didn't get rained on; but there was gusts of 40-50mph which meant some interesting headwinds at points. I'd trained up to 35ish miles and was confident that would carry me through the remaining 15, but I'm a big lad and used a lot of energy stopping and starting at traffic lights (thousands of 'em) in the first 15-20 miles. I was extremely glad to see the finish. :)

WP_20140511_13_34_08_Pro.jpg

Good day, and although we ticked off most of London's landmarks, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to any tourists - but it did drive home how much our visitors could see if they knocked off a couple of miles on 'Boris bikes' - anyone coming in should seriously think about a pedal around on a Sunday.

2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector May 12, 2014

And all in aid of a good charity - well done :thumbsup:

3. Dablitzer May 12, 2014

Good effort lad! Next time let me know, i'd love to join! :thumbsup: