Forums Latest Members
  1. ndgal Jul 19, 2017

Ordered an extract for one of my Speedmasters. It showed up a couple of days ago.
    Check out where the watch was delivered to:

[​IMG]

Does anybody know if this means that this watch was supplied to the US Military, or simply to a store on a military base where soldiers can purchase watches (amongst other goods)?

I am curious to know, and my contact at the Omega Museum is on vacation until next week, so I wondered if anyone here might be able to shed some light on this.

Thanks!

LeCorb, Baz9614, TLIGuy and 2 others like this.
  2. mac_omega Jul 19, 2017

Your header might be wrong as relying to the extract it is a moon watch, not a pre- moon Speedy...

3. ndgal Jul 20, 2017

It is a 145.022-69 with a DON bezel, & Hippocampus back. Pre-moon.

If you are referring to the fact that the extract says "Moonwatch", it says that on the extracts of all Speedy Pro references. Including the ones with cal. 321.

My question was about the delivery location. Regardless of this being a "Pre-moon" or "Moonwatch"..

4. kov Trüffelschwein. Jul 20, 2017

August 21,1970 is exactly 13 months too late to be a considered as Pre- something that happened on July 21, 1969. But you can call it as you like :whistling:

5. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 20, 2017

I believe your pre-moon, produced post-moon, was delivered to the Navy to be resold to serviceman at US bases or ship stores.

It's still considered premoon.

JohnSteed, cicindela, Jwit and 8 others like this.
  6. TLIGuy Jul 20, 2017

I think I know the answer but will let the experts make the call.

That said, for the price that is charged for an extract I think Raynald could pry open the Omega wallet for a new Sharpie.

7. ndgal Jul 20, 2017

In the collector jargon a 145.022-69 reference with these features (DON, Step dial, Hippo back) is referred to as "Pre-moon" whether it left the factory pre, or post the event (moon landing).

In any case, this has nothing to do with the subject of this post as I was only inquiring about the delivery point and not the manufacture date of the watch.

cicindela likes this.
  8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 20, 2017

Well thats true, but you must know by now opening a thread is poking a pile of pedants into action.

I have a feeling your extract shows the watch is shipped to the Navy stores for sale to staff.

marco, JohnSteed, Tjmmartin and 6 others like this.
  9. sgrossma Jul 20, 2017

Not sure what it means or if it adds value, but sounds pretty cool nonetheless. :thumbsup:

Jwit likes this.
  10. ndgal Jul 20, 2017

I figured that's the case.
    Just wanted to be sure.

That's pretty cool!
    (Now I need to track down the original owner and get some of the history...)

11. KJH666 Jul 20, 2017

Well we all know the value of milsub don't we, so I would call it a milspeedy - worth a fortune.

Seriously, I also think it was just delivered there for onward sale, but a nice bit of history though.

12. TLIGuy Jul 20, 2017

I'm sitting outside the NEX here in Naples, Italy, home of the Navy's mighty 6th Fleet drinking coffee. When I'm done I'll pop inside and see if they have any Speedmasters for sale. Last I checked they sold Casio, Invicta, and Movado watches.

IMG_2304.JPG

Edited Jul 20, 2017
    JohnSteed, SpeedyPhill, Jwit and 10 others like this.
  13. OddSpeedy Jul 24, 2017

Very cool extract. @ndgal what was the turnaround time for your extract? ... I ask because mine is taking a long time (96 days) with no word

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 24, 2017

To answer your question, most likely it was sold at a PX or navel equivalent, not an issued watch. While I have never seen that description, there is something somewhat interesting about it to get more information about it.

It says it was delivered to MSTS, which actually changed its name to Military Sealift Command in 1970, Carrying both 6th fleet and Merchant Marine designations, tells me that it is most likely sold in Europe somewhere.

AFIAK these where never issued, and if it was issued it would carry a military serial number also.

Edited Jul 24, 2017
  15. ndgal Jul 24, 2017

It

It took about 2 months. Interestingly, the last couple of extracts I ordered for Seamaster 300 watches took about 8-10 days (much faster than Speedies...).
    If you're at 96 days, I would recommend sending an e-mail to see what's up. Bernhard is usually pretty quick on his response time.

Also, check your spam inbox, because the e-mails notifying you that the extract has been completed and sent, or cancelled due to one reason or another usually end up there...

16. ndgal Jul 24, 2017

Most likely a watch that was sold at s ship store.
    That being said, I've seen military issued Speedies that had no serial/issue numbers (albeit not to the US Army, but other countries).

17. dbane007 Jul 24, 2017

I have an extract for my 145.012-67 with the exact same 6th Fleet delivery. (It also just happens to land smack in the middle of the Ultraman serials). While cool, I don't think it would be considered a military-issued combat timing device. But we can always hope right!?

IMG_3039.JPG

Edited Jul 24, 2017
    Jwit, sky21, gemini4 and 1 other person like this.
  18. RCAFBuster Jul 24, 2017

I have tracked only five extracts that indicate delivery to the Royal Canadian Air Force and I have one to the UK Navy, Army, Air Force Institute.

I have direct provenance for my RCAF Speedmaster that it was purchased by the serviceman from the CANEX in 1973, and I know that at this time in History these were Not issued military watches. The RCAF was issuing single- pusher Omega and Breitlings.

I am of the belief that all of these were available for purchase from their respective Service PX, BX, CANEX, NAAFI etc and were not issued Military timepieces.

Cheers,

Buster
    RCAF Omega 145022-69 extract.jpg

watchyouwant, Jwit, sky21 and 2 others like this.
  19. ndgal Jul 24, 2017

This Speedy is advertised for sale online (I have no affiliation with the seller).
    Notice extract says the watch was produced for the IDF, yet the casebook has no special serial or issue numbers.
    I know for a fact that Omega Speedmasters & Seamaster 300's were given (not sold) to Israeli Air Force pilots by the Israeli Air Force.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. watchlovr Jul 24, 2017

Id still expect an engraving, who knows if this is the original case back?