Forums Latest Members

Interesting new strap from Otto Frei

1. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Mar 4, 2016

Trolling Otto Frei for straps, and I noticed this new page:

http://www.ofrei.com/swiss-made-rubber-straps.html

Go take a look, I'll wait.

Omega is fond of crocodile straps. A vintage Seamaster 300 needs a waterproof strap, because it's a dive watch. In this strap, you have the best of both worlds.

In comparison to a matte crocodile strap from Omega, the finish on the rubber strap is comparable. It is natural rubber and Swiss made, and so marked on the smooth back. The 20mm version uses an 18mm buckle, which you can source from Omega if you want one. The buckle that comes with is very high quality.

As with a lot of rubber straps, it's pretty stiff to begin with. Based on some Internet research, heating the rubber under the hot faucet, bending into a tight curve and cooling with the cold faucet helps the strap to fit.

The contrast stitching isn't as bold as it looks in the pictures. Knowing what I know now, I should have bought the white stitch instead of red, more classic in appearance. I might buy the white anyways.

Pictures follow.

Tom

IMG_0408.jpg IMG_0409.jpg IMG_0410.jpg
  2. trama Mar 4, 2016

Great looking piece. Agree with divers having water resistant straps/bracelets. Not a hard/fast rule mind you, but generally.

Edit: Useless anecdote; Otto Frei has annoyingly regular banking hours. As such, I sent my GF there to pick up some items, she snagged a shitclicker ballpoint from them with "otto frei" printed on it. Thrilling. Stay Tuned...

3. alam Mar 4, 2016

They look good and seem not bad for the price :thumbsup: Agree with your point wrt the stitching color, white was probably a better fit to your SM300. Let us know how it feels after some wear.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 4, 2016

Not bad, but for SM300s I always love the manliness of OEM mesh :)

KstateSkier and RawArcher like this.
  5. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Mar 4, 2016

I have one too. Just started a massive weight loss program. Straps are more forgiving.

Tom

RawArcher likes this.
  6. sairy Mar 5, 2016

I found some Longines straps on Ofrei have good price but the size too big for Longines watches. I care about are they genuine or not? The price more cheaper than the OEM price, about $30 compare with OEM $230 or $330. And I really hate the checkout page. That must choose manually and the shipping charges is high for a straps. Did someone else buy the items from Ofrei? Please share your reviews.

7. Perseus Mar 7, 2016

Not bad. I'm still hunting for the perfect strap for the 300 MC.

8. alford78 Mar 7, 2016

I like them for a change. The blue would be nice every now and then too!

9. Rockmastermike Mar 9, 2016

very nice, thanks for the heads up

10. igatomic Mar 10, 2016

I don't have any experience with a rubber strap...

Are they hot to wear? My steel bracelets get a little "funky" during the summer months, but I could only imagine that the rubber would be worse. (I don't swim with watches on, so there is no automatic rinse cycle here.)

11. SamQue Mar 14, 2016

I usually have at least one of my Seamasters or Planet Oceans on Omega rubber deployant straps at any given time. They are very comfortable. I have worn them in hot humid climates without any discomfort. image.jpeg

jjtnova and Jwit like this.
  12. ctpete Mar 20, 2016

Would really dress up my PO with the orange bezel.

13. sky21 Mar 20, 2016

Really like the rubber functionality with the contrast stitching look!

14. e46rj Sep 22, 2016

@VetPsychWars Looks good! I was also looking at this style strap for my planet ocean, how is it holding up and how is the stiffness in the strap after about 6 months? Assuming you still have it fitted. Thanks!

15. soybeanwatch Sep 23, 2016

Love the red stitching and matte finish. Argh.. might have to buy one and try it on every single watch loll

16. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 27, 2016

Alas, I do not. Because of health issues I need a significantly flexible bracelet or strap, or there's a lot of pain after an hour or two. So I mostly wear the 1171 bracelet (much flexi) or a soft strap. This one just wasn't soft enough for me.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Tom

17. gostang9 Sep 27, 2016

I'm glad you shared this and waited 6 months for me to take a look... ;) I've been looking for a rubber/leather strap for my Explorer II with curved ends and this looks like it might do the trick. I've ordered the 21mm black with white stitching so will see in a few weeks if it looks as good in person as it does on the website.

Thank you for bumping this thread. Funny how often an old thread can become new again! I've spent a lot of time looking through various strap options, including many searches in OF threads and this one never caught my attention before.

18. e46rj Oct 4, 2016

@gostang9 Glad it helped you out! Please post some pics when you get yours fitted!

19. gostang9 Oct 4, 2016

Apparently it has been delivered, I will pick it up Thurs and then evidence shall be given!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. gostang9 Oct 6, 2016

Picked up the strap today and promptly installed while waiting in my car to pick my daughter up after school.

First impressions: quality and feel of the rubber strap is good. It was very easy to install and I like how it changes the look of my Explorer II.

Started with this.
    [​IMG]
    Ended with this.[​IMG]
    I have a hard time getting decent pictures, but here are a few of my best attempts to get different shots to capture it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Here it is with a new book I received today (recommended by a colleague)[​IMG]
    Here's a shot of the whole watch and strap.
    [​IMG]
    The strap has slightly curved ends, although the spring-bar hole is so close to the end of the strap there is still quite a gap with the Explorer II. I've tried to order an Everest strap but they do not yet make one for the new 216570.
    [​IMG]
    I really like the look of this watch, and my immediate impression of this strap is that it provides a nice visual change.
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately, my wrists must be on the "large side" as most default lengths seem just a little short for me.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e46rj and ahartfie like this.