Forums Latest Members

interesting market inversions ...

1. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 2, 2016

Hi there,

another somewhat "philosophical" thread ...

what do I mean by inversion: when something that is/was objectively cheaper/inferior gets more expensive than the "superior" product.

example within the same family:

a DJ 1600 flat bezel fetches on average more $$$$...

[​IMG]

.... than a similar DJ 1601 (w whitegold or YG bezel)

[​IMG]

again, I am talking "market" level not those individual watches

other examples? ss RLX sub vs. ttone sub? I dont know ...

cheers
    Al

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 2, 2016

The two pictures above explain it easy.
    Not everyone is a fan of the coin edge bezel. I am not.

3. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 2, 2016

plus in the specific case of the 1600 dj , its a more uncommon , less flashy look...

That 1601 with the older dial is also cool... i always like the 1625.... they are all creaping upwards... 1625rolex.jpg

adam78 likes this.
  4. Canuck Mar 2, 2016

Given the choice between a white gold fluted bezel and a yellow gold fluted bezel, I'd go for the white gold. It is rather odd that, in some instances, the karat gold version of a stainless steel watch often brings a difference equivalent only of the scrap value of the gold!

5. vinn2 Mar 2, 2016

oh; that flat bezel looks great. never did like the "coin bezel". that may be the reason omegas are more popular?

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 2, 2016

The fact that a totally polished junk grade head only Rolex 1803 sells for more than a clean Constellation Piepan Deluxe is evidence that buyers of such 1803s are idiots, and that Constellations are still mucho undervalued.

Charlie3755 likes this.
  7. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 2, 2016

The market sets the value. Sure, there are always outliers, but it is what is is.

"Under appreciated" yes...

"Under valued" - the market (idiotic though it may be) currently says no.

Tomorrow could be different, so "you pays your money and you takes your chances".:D

8. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 2, 2016

Agree with Darlinboy..... bottom line BUY WHAT YOU LOVE / LIKE.

9. Canuck Mar 2, 2016

I presently own more Omegas than I do Rolex. But I'd like to put in a word in defence of those who collect Rolex, and who are prepared to shell out to buy the Rolex they prefer, as not being "idiots"! The old adage, "diff'rent strokes" seems to apply.

blufinz52 likes this.
  10. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 2, 2016

odd - I find that the RLX 18xx are pretty undervalued by itself ...

I - for one - cannot for the life of me like the pie-pan connies (dog knows, I tried) ... but give me an traditional oyster beauty (ss or yg) and my eyes light up ...

donno - the classical connies are grandfather watches, whereas the OPs are timeless

cheers, Al

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 2, 2016

You're missing the point of my statement, those people are specifically not prepared to shell out to buy the Rolex they prefer, they don't have the money to. That's the reason watches that are barely better than gold scrap still get bought.

12. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 2, 2016

which makes perfectly sense ... let me argue a strictly "commercial" angle: how much do you think you can get out of a RLX vintage movement, esp. if its compatible to 55xx subs ???

so - buying a fugged up 18xx for cheap GUARANTEES you:

- X$ for gold scrap
    - Y$ for a movement

(don't have values for X and Y on hand b/c that's not my area of interes)

that very fact - in my book - is a win-win proposition as there is literally no worst-case scenario

cheers
    Al

13. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 2, 2016

Hey Al

Just a FYI I have never seen a 55xx that uses the same movement as a 18xx Rolex ref...

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

14. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 2, 2016

I have to disagree... No one is an idiot. Maybe miss informed.. Rolex marketing machine is strong and reaches deep into the non WIS community.

Every guy know when they "made it" wants a president. so the lugs are as sharp as toothpicks! etc....

it is what it is...

Good Hunting

bill Sohne

Darlinboy likes this.
  15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 2, 2016

But its NOT cheap, that is the whole point I was making, there's no means to get your money back or even close to it.

Generally as there's a steep drop-off in quality there's an even steeper drop-off in price, yet a pawn shop can take an 1803, grind half its lugs off, fit a home made diamond bezel to it and then charge $8k AUD for it.

al128 likes this.
  16. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 2, 2016

Agree.... different buyer , different Market... different preferences...

Heck I got a 18k connie with brick work bracelet years ago from a "pawn shop" never worn , guy traded for a Datejust !

hahahah

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

17. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 2, 2016

yeah - u r right ... the day-complication ;-)

but my point was m/l ... the fact that its a RLX movement means that it has an intrinsic value ...

18. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 2, 2016

Hi Al

I understand what your trying to get across. But the value of the movement is based on what models use it. The Day complication is only used in the Day Date and not any of SUBs, GMTs etc models.. so the movement value is not as great just due to the fact it can only be used in another Day Date. So its not a BIG win as much as your OP implies...

Bill

al128 likes this.
  19. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 2, 2016

Then there is the example (which I know @gatorcpa has given before) of the Ranchero, which in 1958 was much less expensive than a Constellation, but now is worth about 3X the same Constellation...

20. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 2, 2016