Forums Latest Members
  1. tomvox1 Oct 11, 2013

Interesting cal. 1001 big square Connie popped up on the Bay:

SqConnie1001-1.JPG SqConnie1001-2.JPG SqConnie1001-3.JPG

The first ref # doesn't come through with results on the Omega Vintage database but the second shows a match with a 1969 gold model:

168.0042Connie.png

What's interesting to me is: A) The evolved case shape off the hidden lugs 168.0041 (last of the cal. 751s) with now a cutout for the strap; and B) The timing of the production of these, perhaps to debut the new cal. 1001, while still producing tonneau cal. 751 Connies until ostensibly the mid-1970s, around 5 years later. The seller says 1975 but in fact the movement has a 30mil SN, so production is ca. 1969 just as Omega states. I somewhat doubt they made this reference for long or in many examples and it could probably be called a true transitional Connie i.e new movement with "older" case design. Maybe Omega had bigger plans for these cal. 1001 chronometers but got more reliability out of the tried & true 751 and so stuck with that for several more years?
    But then, I've never seen this model before so maybe someone could provide the benefit of their actual knowledge on these rather than my guesswork?:)
    Thanks & best,
    T.

2. ulackfocus Oct 11, 2013

The 1001 had it's problems, particularly with the winding system. I'd like to see a much better dial shot because something looks off to me about the printing, and I'm wondering why the copper plating is worn completely off the rotor.

3. tomvox1 Oct 11, 2013

Personally, I find that all of these "upside down" dials all look a little weird. Doesn't seem to be a standardized font one can refer to. This one looks OK to me--check the placement of T SWISS MADE T--very characteristic, IMO.

SqConnie1001-4.JPG
    But I agree the unplated rotor is strange. Maybe, as these are prone to wear, someone just decided to strip off the plating completely?
    [​IMG]
    It looks like there is still a hint of pink along the beveled edges of the rotor. Definitely odd looking, though.
    Best,
    T.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 11, 2013

Plating comes off over time - it's a fact of having your watch serviced over and over again through the decades. I know people here often like to assign some nefarious motive to it, but really it just happens. I see it happen often - the thing is if there is any plating that is coming off, it has to be cleaned off so no loose plating can float around inside the movement, or it will find it's way into the oil wells in the jewels, and can stop the watch.

It's really nothing "odd" just another watch with the plating that is coming off.

Cheers, Al

Stewart H likes this.
  5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 11, 2013

I prefer the conspiracy theory Al. It's much more intriguing.

ron n likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 11, 2013

LOL - well everyone loves a conspiracy theory I guess. But seriously I have seen plating come off in patches on some Omega parts - the edge of where the plating is on there solid and where it flakes off easy is very well defined and often has a geometric shape to it like another part was up against it during a cleaning process or something prior to plating.

Personally it seem the pre-plating preparation was not always done perfectly...

7. instigator008 Feb 23, 2014

The Omega service manual for this caliber specifically lists particular cleaning solutions. They mention that the copper wash is susceptible to more acidic solutions.

8. Habitant Feb 23, 2014

Although, when I see a rotor with wear only on the outside edge (rather than more generally as is the case here), I tend to suspect a problem with the bearing, so... but Al is far, far, far more expert than me on this...

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 23, 2014

Actually it doesn't say anything about copper wash - at least not the service material that I have. What it does talk about is the epilame coating being something you have to use the correct solutions with to avoid stripping it off. Here is what the manual says:

To prevent destruction of the epilame-coating we propose the utilisation of cleaning fluids whose pH is

inferior to 10 (pH control paper is available from our Service Department).

As rinsing baths we recommend: Benzine 110-140

Isopropylic alcohol
    Benzine 80-95
    Trichlorethylene
    Perchlorethylene

The epilam-coating is destroyed by the solvant Freon and cleaning fluids whose pH is superior to 10.

If yours says something different, please post it as I would like to see that information.
    Cheers, Al

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 23, 2014

I would say the same thing too, but that's not the case with the example being discussed here...

11. instigator008 Feb 23, 2014

Nope, mine says the same thing but I misread it. Thanks for the clarification!

12. instigator008 Feb 23, 2014

Here's the rotor on my 1001 (same model). It has a small flake of copper wash/coating missing. uploadfromtaptalk1393188646190.jpg