Forums Latest Members
  1. westmtn Aug 16, 2016

Interesting dial variant. Is this authentic? I couldn't find any examples that looked similar. Especially the all black hands.

[​IMG]

2. westmtn Aug 17, 2016

Here are some more pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 17, 2016

I'll let others comments on that, but it surely needs a service, and will likely need some parts...

4. westmtn Aug 17, 2016

What makes you say that? According to the seller it has recently been serviced and it comes with a 1 year warranty.

5. westmtn Aug 17, 2016

Here's a closer pic of the movement.

8-17-2016 10-12-30 AM.png

I found the same watch in gold. In my mind this confirms authenticity.

[​IMG]

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 17, 2016

The rotor pinion is, or was, worn out to the point that the rotor has been rubbing on the case back and the movement plates for some time - the rotor is worn almost all the way around which is a lot of wear. Having serviced hundreds of these calibers, it's rare that when I see this kind of wear on a watch that it has already been fixed. Usually this means the watch needs servicing, and because the wear I can see is extensive, this indicates many parts are likely worn as it has been running in an unserviced state for a long time. Again this is all based on my experiences at the bench servicing these - can easily add $300+ in parts on top of the labour for servicing.

If all that has been fixed, that's great, but if I were you I would want to see proof (not just the word of the seller) that it was serviced and what parts were replaced. The chances that someone spent the money to properly fix all this while preparing it for sale is very slim in my view. The cost to properly service this would likely exceed the value of the watch. I also see lots of watches that are "freshly serviced" that haven't had a proper service in decades - always take this claim with a large grain of salt.

I did once post some tips for what to look for when viewing movement photos on potential purchases...

https://omegaforums.net/threads/spotting-problems-with-watch-movements.36339/#post-412838

It's your money though, so if you believe the seller then go for it.

Cheers, Al

westmtn likes this.
  7. ac106 Aug 17, 2016

Really?

I mean it's archer....

8. westmtn Aug 17, 2016

Oh I wasn't questioning the validity of his statement. I'm well aware of Archer's reputation. I was just wanting to know the why. Both for my own learning and questioning the seller about the service. The seller is a reputable watchmaker who I have used before.

Great info Archer. Thank you.

ConElPueblo and ac106 like this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 17, 2016

The they should have no issues telling you what parts needed replacing. I would expect that in addition to the pinion for the rotor, the two satellite pinions for the auto would need replacing, the winding wheel, the ratchet wheel driving wheel, and a bunch of bushings in the automatic since this one is not fully jeweled. Possible also some worn train wheels, new mainspring of course...

10. westmtn Aug 17, 2016

This is from the watchmaker in response to the watch in question.

"I dont remember on this model if we replaced any parts or not. usually if something was worn or damaged we would have replaced it but because it was our watch and not a customers we do not keep track of that as we would in a work order. The watches we sell we do everything necessary to bring them as close to original functioning condition."

In response to what is included in a vintage Omega service.

"A service includes taking a watch apart completely (which is not a hard thing and I don't understand why many clients don't think watchmakers do that...watchmakers that don't do that is cause they really aren't watchmakers but just hobbyists), usually we clean the parts by hand or heated ultrasonic cleaning machine and many times both. When the watch is re-assembled we oil and grease properly and the watch is always timed on an electronic timing machine and adjusted for best accuracy possible.

Parts always cost more, especially for Omega. For example if we have the parts in stock (and we do have thousands of Omega parts), we will charge cheaper for the part, but if we don't have it in stock cost will be more. For example omega parts now can be anywhere from $20-$100 for one part when buying from a supplier."

I'm assuming they had the parts in stock. Either that or the parts were replaced prior to them servicing the watch. This is a 45 year old watch. That wear could have happened 10-20 years ago right?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 17, 2016

Anything is possible - I am just relaying the most likely scenario in my experience. Having said that, for a seller of watches to "not keep track" of the expenses involved in getting a watch ready for sale to me is very odd. I don't really believe it personally. But again, it's your money. You asked for advice on the watch and I've offered some.

The last thing I'll suggest is that if you do decide to buy this watch, if you can see the watch in person, ask them to open it up, have them show you the play in the rotor pinion...if it moves like this one does, again walk away...

If they won't open it (if they are watchmakers they should have no problem doing this unless they are hiding something) take it in your hand and shake it - front to back. If you hear any clicking inside, hand it back and walk away...that will be the rotor slapping against the case back.

Cheers, Al

ahartfie likes this.
  12. westmtn Aug 17, 2016

Thanks for everything Archer. Really insightful information. I went ahead with the purchase as the watchmaker insisted there was no play and the rotor is functioning perfectly. Unfortunately he isn't local so I can't see the watch in person. I'll check it out when it arrives. I do have the option of returning it if anything is off.

13. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 17, 2016

why buy a problem?

there are 10s of 1,000s of watches out there that will be in way better shape ...

( you own Archer already a virtual beer ;) )

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  14. westmtn Aug 17, 2016

I would gladly buy Archer a beer or 6. Let me know if you're ever in Austin.

I'm not sure I agree with you about the watch. I bought the watch because:

1. I like the watch and intend on using it as a field watch of sorts. I would take it hiking etc. It's a unique dial in good condition and it seems pretty rare as I can't find another like it online anywhere.
    2. I trust the seller. He's a recommended watchmaker on this forum and others. If he claims to have thousands of omega parts in stock I believe him.
    3. The price was right. If it has been fixed/serviced then it seems like a real bargain.
    4. I can check the watch when it arrives (maybe with a local watchmaker) and return it if needed.

15. westmtn Aug 17, 2016

BTW the seller is Paul's Watch Repair in Sacremento CA. I've seen him recommended several times on this forum.