Forums Latest Members

Interesting Explorer, Auction Ending Soon...

1. trackpad Dec 14, 2016

This could be a real lemon, but for someone with the right connections it might also be a real winner. Depends on how the sale price develops.

Screenshot 2016-12-14 17.06.30.png

See the listing here.

Sidenote: a professional auction house should be embarrassed by photos of this quality. Unfortunately, par for the course.

2. emilio Dec 14, 2016

Always tricky those early explorers.

Wondering if this one is ok? I hardly have any knowledge on explorers so can't help you out.

3. trackpad Dec 14, 2016

No...I'm not personally interested in it. It's in need of service and could be a lot of trouble. But it could be a bargain if for some reason you're stuck with some parts from this model. Dial is quite nice.

4. afenton Dec 18, 2016

Thanks for sharing. IMO if you're going to be spending this kind of money on a watch, I feel like you're better off buying something that you know is the real deal. This is when you buy the seller not the product. Vintage Rolex is so tricky as it is why make it harder.

5. trackpad Dec 18, 2016

Sound words, couldn't agree more...only, the opportunity to make a scoop is sometimes worth the risk.

One of the reasons I posted this was that one would also hope an auction house couldn't get away with it, if weeks later you could document that the item they sold to you was fraudulent. It would represent such a stain on their reputation and business were they not to react in the correct way.

In most cases they employ an expert (granted, not always terribly skilled) for the express purpose of making sure the items they list are genuine. So...maybe a safer bet in that regard.

6. blubarb Dec 19, 2016

Any idea how much it realised at the fall of the hammer?

7. BobXX Dec 19, 2016

It says £4,100 + 15% buyer commission = £4,715 = $5,842

8. blubarb Dec 19, 2016

Haha...I just woke up and I swear I didn't see that when I looked. Going back to sleep now and intend to awake properly. :oops: