Interesting dial on a 168.017 Constellation

Posts
2,677
Likes
3,151


The watch is from Catawiki, watch is an imagination watch made from parts, still it's a beautiful dial I think, anyone know what could the source be?

Maybe the indices are replacements from a different brand?
 
Posts
6,762
Likes
10,416
Interesting indeed.

The dial looks porcelain white.
The coffin shaped markers are a late 50s, early sixties thing for Omega.
The applied ‘OMEGA’ is quite fine. (Too thin?)
The applied Omega symbol is an unusual shape, too fine and too rounded?
The fonts look pretty good but ( from what we can see) are sans serif.

A mystery to be sure!
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,376
I can confirm that the coffin style markers are likely early 60s. I have them on a 1961 Seamaster. The onyx inlays are a nice bonus.
 
Posts
6,762
Likes
10,416
I can confirm that the coffin style markers are likely early 60s. I have them on a 1961 Seamaster. The onyx inlays are a nice bonus.

Where’s the picture?
 
Posts
6,762
Likes
10,416
Early 60s 2872 with coffin markers.
 
Posts
6,762
Likes
10,416
Here you go. Seamaster 14761.

Now, nice though they are, I would call those lozenge rather than coffin. ( being symmetrical)

- but understanding that Americans tend to have symmetrical ‘ caskets’ as opposed to the classic European coffin shape.
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,376
Ah, interesting. Whatever they are appropriately termed, I like them.
 
Posts
2,677
Likes
3,151
Another interesting thing is that CE 168.017's are usually coming out of Turkey. They are all quite worn down by life. I've only seen 2 black dial CE 168.017's and both were from Turkey, that's why this watch boggled my brain more than usual

Calibre is 565 instead of 564 and the armor ring is overlaying "SWISS MADE" - otherwise I'd be more tempted to think it's original

I've recently seen someone strip a dial, spray paint it, print the dial text using a regular A4 laser printer onto transfer paper and transfer it to the dial, the result was awesome like this one and all easy to reach and easy to use components

Whatever the case is, beautiful dial, and some more angles: