Logarithmic scale, evidently.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2013

Here you go, here it is as a 3.5::D
    $(KGrHqF,!o8FC1324CWeBQ+Rg27Osg~~60_57.JPG

nxw1969 likes this.
  4. nxw1969 Jan 21, 2013

That'd probably still be an 8 :)

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 21, 2013

I guess he wasn't including the back of the watch in his rating...and gave extra points for that fabulous stretchy band.

6. Ocean-Watches Jan 22, 2013

Hi all, I'm the seller of this watch. I list really clear pictures showing the exact condition so people can make their own minds up. Have a look at the other 25 watches I have listed and check my feedback, people are really pleased with what I sell. I hope I get some value out of joining this as their does seem some worthwhile information listed in other areas. My watchmaker who services them is superb by the way.

Elroy likes this.
  7. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 22, 2013

Err...was it your watchmaker who did the redial and polishing job?

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 22, 2013

Glad you're impressed with your offerings, we certainly aren't.

9. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2013

That's because the average dolt on eBay wouldn't know his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to originality and correctness in vintage watches of any brand. They just want shiny and new-ish even at the cost of the case crispness and other important points.

10. Elroy Jan 22, 2013

I say you all should tar and feather the seller who was man enough to post here in his own defense and confront his detractors without resorting to profanity, vulgarity, or insults to Ebay's patrons at large. Is having a dial refinished dishonest or criminal? When some of you pile off the bandwagon, please publish the official condition scale for watches such as this one. I may need it some day before posting an item on Ebay. Kudos to ocean watches for posting in your own defense. He is correct that the photos will tell the story for potential buyers. Rating scales are subjective and mean almost nothing.

11. nxw1969 Jan 22, 2013

I think It isn't the fact you are selling the watch! Everyone has to make a living, but I think most on here probably don't like to see people who don't know what they are buying, getting ripped off.
    That watch isn't a 9 out of 10 in anyone's books, and I am not sure how you can claim 100 % authenticity.Without having a dig, that watch is at best a 3 out of 10 and the dial has been butchered, the hands and crown are incorrect.

You have clearly been selling watches for a long time, so while I may be wrong, I fully suspect you know the above to be correct, and are hoping to off load the watch onto some gullible buyer who is hoping to spend some of his hard earned cash on a vintage authentic Omega.

Pretty sure I saw that watch sell around a month ago for £1200 on eBay (way too much even at that price) but chucking a cheapo strap on doesn't add £700 to the value of anybody's watch.

12. Mothra Jan 22, 2013

Guys, given the seller has taken the time to register and post maybe we can agree he's posted well lit, clear and in focus pictures which would allow any of us to look and quickly move on, while suggesting that any listing where a redialled watch which is very heavily polished is described as a 9.5 is going to invite some comment and discussion. I don't think any of that can be argued with and maybe we wind up with another contributor who will eventually be able to look at the picture of the smurf dial and laugh. :)

Elroy likes this.
  13. nxw1969 Jan 22, 2013

In answer to Elroy, good on the guy for posting on here, and in his defence, maybe he believes his description to be a fair assessment of the watch.
    Likewise, though, anyone who trades in watches or any other trade for that matter, is open to criticism when they overplay their products.

The guy has 100 percent feedback from over 2700 people, so he must be doing something right, but if someone I knew bought that watch, I would be less than impressed as I am guessing you would be too.

It would be fair to lay the blame at the buyer, but the seller has to bear some responsibility,and based on the guys history, he has clearly been very careful in his description of this watch to hide the many issues which severely devalue it.

14. Elroy Jan 22, 2013

Mothra, kudos to you, too, for not piling on. And by the way, I have a terrific Mothra 3 sheet linen-backed movie poster that is one of my favorites. Have you seen it? It says, "The Mightiest Monster in all Creation! Ravishing the Universe for Love."

15. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2013

When you describe a watch as a "9.5 / 10" overall and "The watch is 9/10 minimum in condition" when in fact it's not even half that rating in the opinion of EVERY collector here, then you're going to be criticized. We pull NO punches here. The fact that this seller also went out of his way to say that all original Omega parts were used to service the watch but made no mention of the refinished dial says a LOT about their selling practices.

I'm sorry if you don't agree or like what was posted, but I bet there are plenty of new collectors who would appreciate the directness and warning that this thread provides.

16. Mothra Jan 22, 2013

Yep, absolutely love it. Your taste isn't just good in watches...

17. Elroy Jan 22, 2013

Are you referring to those "dolts" on Ebay? The new collectors? Excuse me, but I have to grab my pitchfork and torch and head over to Castle Von Ocean Watches.

18. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2013

Yes - if they blindly buy without knowing what the hell they're getting into. Do you know how many times I've had to break bad news of a poor purchase to a new member who's all proud of their "original" vintage watch? Hundreds of times. Sometimes they get lucky and can return it, other times they get pissed off and argue with me, and the rest disappear, maybe turned off from collecting completely because they got burnt. I hate dishonest listings. So do the guys here. Its' so easy to avoid also and part of the reason forums exist. We all learned the hard way and don't think to ask a thing in return for our assistance.

Omega78 likes this.
  19. Elroy Jan 22, 2013

Dishonesty in a listing is wrong. I read the listing and did not see outright lies, but when subjective comments or scales are used, it is difficult to find agreement on any collectible. I have collected a boat load items I don't need, from cars to toy cars and everything in between, and disagreements on rating scales in a constant. His photos were excellent, which is evinced by the way so many were able to see every flaw so clearly. Maybe next time he should leave off the scale, but what if he had simply said it was "excellent." Sellers cannot rely on subjective descriptions especially when clear photos are available. Frankly, if there are buyers with thousands to spend who don't do their homework, I have very little sympathy for them. They must have inherited their money. I earned mine, and I spend it carefully.

20. Elroy Jan 22, 2013

Which reminds me. I saw a post earlier today noting that someone had reported TWELVE listings to EBay in one day. How much does that job pay?