Forums Latest Members
  1. Diabolik Sep 4, 2017

Here is an interesting one ...

Reference 224101
    Serial 104xxxxx

upload_2017-9-4_21-38-23.png

2. khmt2 Sep 4, 2017

Interesting in what way? Does it look like a redial to you?

3. Diabolik Sep 5, 2017

Initially I thought redial ...

Main reasons are the small font on hour register and the serif on the 7. The more I look at it and the more I compare to references of that era, the more it looks like the real thing. I am amazed how good the dial looks for a ~70 year old watch and I find that perplexing.

4. Florent Sep 5, 2017

Diabolik likes this.
  5. Mlafra Sep 5, 2017

looks original to me, perhaps given the non overall perfect font somewhere in the numbers of the sub-dials, it could be an original later service dial. I have little doubt it indeed came out from UG.

Larry S and Diabolik like this.
  6. Diabolik Sep 5, 2017

Yes, i saw those but they do not worry me. It is consistent with early UG dials of that era and often found in later factory furnished redials. I am curious as to whether lume is radium or tritium ::confused2::. That would be a good indicator of date !

7. rolokr Sep 5, 2017

I vote service dial, the font is consistent, with
    aged lume, unlikely a redial, unless UG contracted it IMHO .

8. Mlafra Sep 5, 2017

Extremely good and valid point actually about the lume being radium or tritium. Probably radium though as tritium wasn't used until beginning/mid 60s and usually UG out a "T" beside "SWISS" when tritium was used. That being said if it was indeed tritium then we would know for sure is a later service dial as the serial puts in the mid 40s.

Does anybody know how to tell radium from tritium for sure? Just how intense the radiation is or other different characteristics?

9. rolokr Sep 5, 2017

Maybe under black light ?
    Not sure ?

10. ConElPueblo Sep 5, 2017

An ordinary Geiger counter as the ones that plug into a smart phone will not pick much up on a tritium dial, while it will react wildly on one with radium...

Btw, as far as I know tritium was used earlier than mid-sixties, but the mandatory T's are a sixties regulation, thus earlier dials aren't marked with them. This may not be the case with UG, I am not that well versed in those.

Diabolik, Larry S and rolokr like this.
  11. sxl2004 Sep 5, 2017

Tritium is generally not picked up by handheld counters as the radiation energy is not very high ( the radiation beta particle does only penetrate 6mm air, and basically nothing solid). You generally need amplifying solutions to read the radiation and determine the decay.
    So whenever you get a read on a Geiger counter with a watch it is Radium, or you are in a nuclear fall out zone.

ConElPueblo, Diabolik and rolokr like this.
  12. 10H10 Sep 6, 2017

Looks original to me, sorry, I didn't read all the comments...