Forums Latest Members

Interesting coincidence? I don't think so...

1. bczolone Apr 13, 2012

Since there aren't any site sponsors and I myself have two of "these" watches I thought I'd post this link and you can browse it and easily find other links for mass suppliers of watches.

What got me started was the two "micro-brew" watches I own; Lume Tec and Deep Blue. While I like them I got to thinking how they get started...design, engineers, watch makers, supplies, CNC machines, parts, you name it, and figured there must be a source of ambiguous cases, movements and ultimately designs.

I'm sure most of us figured this out already but on this link the first design you notice (minus the logo) looks awfully familiar, as does the one at the bottom, which if you go to the supplier site you'll notice they can be had in multiple configurations, auto, quartz and some with ETA movements.

There are several sites out there that list suppliers of just about anything, the watch suppliers alone are daunting to file through. But alas most are bulk orders 100-500+, where you can have your own logo on the dial, then all you got to do is get your case back and bracelet laser etched and your in business!

I will say this; Chris at Lume-Tec has been awesome for CS and generally available for any concerns or questions. Not sure though how everyone would respond to this on other certain forums but here everyone seems more "reasonable".

Thought it might spark a "scavenger" hunt, so to speak of finding micros who actually buy off the shelf Chinese watches and brand them as their own.

Some I've found that look identical : Deep Blue, Lume-Tec, Ocean 7, Zinex, Nautilus...so far.

http://wholesale-watch-and-clock.hktdc.com/manufacturers/Diving-Watch-Manufacturers/en/7278-1/

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 13, 2012

It wouldn't surprise me if that were the case. The thing that's often bothered me with a lot of people is that they buy "sterilised" watches, like for example a sterilised Rolex GMT2C or Submariner. The detail is such that they're an exact copy of the relevant Rolex albiet with no Rolex markings, and it just sort of clicks in my head that these watches are coming out of Asia, and the people that buy them consider themselves legitimate collectors, as the lack of markings supposedly makes them above board... but in reality there is no doubt in my mind that these sterilised models roll off the exact same production lines as the Rolex labeled FAKE models, there's just no reason why someone would make them unless they were already making knock-offs and wanted to increase their sales opportunities by making sterile dials / bracelets and using ebay as an additional sales outlet.

Now Lumtec aren't in that category (even if Invicta may be...) but it also worries me that their asian parts suppliers could be in the counterfeiting industry too.

3. bczolone Apr 13, 2012

Basically that's what I see. Besides making "copies" they are also (likely) the suppliers of all the micro brands. What's that mean?

Maybe the micros aren't really design originals...or are they? :cautious:

4. ulackfocus Apr 13, 2012

Go post this on WUS and watch how many micro-brand fanboy douchebags jump down your throat. :D Don't forget to ask them if they'll wear their Chinese fake/clone/jobber cased dive watch with a knock off suit too.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 13, 2012

Well here's the other thing, there are fakers making 1655 Rolex Explorer II Orange hands, 1016 Explorers and vintage Daytona knock-offs, then there's MKII making 1655 inspired homages and approximations of 1016s and so on. Now its a chicken and the egg type deal here, there's no doubt they get their parts from Asia, its the only thing that makes financial sense. But are they ordering cases and dial/hand sets that are already available and used by counterfeiters and labeling them as MKII...

Or even worse, are they the ones making the orders, helping these Asian suppliers dial in the level of detail that MKII owners expect of their pieces, helping the suppliers get it perfect for a production run? If the later is the case, there is no doubt the producers would simply extend the production run to their heart's content and make vintage knock-offs out of the surplus production, MKII's work could be used to make a better fake.

6. Trev The Architect Staff Member Apr 13, 2012

Very interesting topic.
    Free speech. Such a beautiful concept* :cool:

*(As free as it can be without having our servers kicked out of their data-centers.)

7. bczolone Apr 13, 2012

Yeah...maybe I should...course I'm wearing one (Deep Blue) but I knew that before i bought it, but when i bought my Lumtec I really had no idea.

Edit; I posted a teaser in the "divers" forum WUS using the Zinex....::jumpy::

8. bczolone Apr 13, 2012

Keep looking and you'll find those too.

9. a1watch Apr 13, 2012

The way I see it, there are relatively few watches out there that are not copies of or homages of ....There are a few manufacturers that still design and produce their own. Even old time Swiss companies are owned by Chinese. There are many non swiss makers who assemble in Switzerland just so they can use the made in label......It is just so confusing anymore.

10. bczolone Apr 13, 2012

:taunt: They are already saying they aren't the same watches...because they aren't EXACTLY alike....uh you can make custom changes when you order 100+

WUS Fanboys you think? ::popcorn::

11. ulackfocus Apr 13, 2012

You forgot "douchebags". :D

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 14, 2012

As far as I'm concerned, this is a Micro-Brand:

ldufourm91.jpg ldufourf02.jpg pd.jpg

rbird7282 likes this.
  13. ulackfocus Apr 14, 2012

Steve takes phenominal pictures, doesn't he? :thumbsup: You bring up a good point - why are high end manufacturers called "independents" while low end assemblers called "Microbrands"?

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 14, 2012

There's another brand to bring into this discussion because they make both some very well made and intricately designed watches, and supply countless movements among other things to counterfeiters and that is Seagull.

15. bczolone Apr 14, 2012

Browsing some of the manufacturers ie: Fullswing Inc. you'll notice the will provide watches with Unitas or ETA movements, Miyota or I'm sure Seagull. I have not seen Seiko movements advertised though.

16. Ivan1998 Apr 15, 2012