Forums Latest Members

Interesting article on mechanical watches

1. West Slope Feb 8, 2016

2. trama Feb 8, 2016

I read it, don't know enough to know what the description of the new mechanism means. I'm happy smart people are still looking to improve mechanical watches as a project! Still, can't get past the "Parmesan" name heheheh... Coming soon, the new Parmigiani Quattro Formagi Sport :)

3. West Slope Feb 8, 2016

A 70 day power reserve is pretty amazing.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 9, 2016

I have yet to see an article (I've read a few) on this new escapement that explains why they can get such a long power reserve from it. The best I can glean from what I have read over the last while is that the escapement requires much less torque that a traditional escapement would, which means the mainspring can be thinner (weaker). A thinner mainspring allows more coils (length) of spring to fit in a given space, so the extended power reserve comes from a very thin, very long mainspring.

The first thing I thought of when I saw this was actually a Bulova Accutron.

Resembles the index wheel and pawl system - slightly different and also mechanical instead of battery powered. I actually know of someone who is working on a mechanical tuning fork movement design...

5. nightowl Feb 9, 2016

I've read about it before, and my only thought was: Wouldn't it generate a whole lot of wear?