Forums Latest Members

Interesting - a poorly re-dialed 176.007 seamaster chrono on eBay

1. cvalue13 Oct 7, 2013

While 176.007's may be valuable enough for a few sellers to cobble together pieces into a franken-watch, it seems more rare that someone in Portugal appears to have taken the time to poorly re-dial (and re-tachy) a GF version:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OME...754520914?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item53fea52352Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The case back is seemingly a replacement as well.

Anywho, for those with twitchy BIN fingers, beware!

2. Tyoung Jan 11, 2014

Interesting. I liked that watch and was tempted. Should I avoid? Or pay less? What should I be looking for in A 1040 like this?

3. ron n Jan 11, 2014

Last month I got lucky, I picked up the same watch on the bay for 499 less. It had the original box and operating instructions, watch likely had never been serviced, so it is at the watch makers for service, nice ones are out there just have to keep looking.

4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 11, 2014

The hour, minute and sweep seconds hands are also non-original replacements.

5. Tyoung Jan 11, 2014

Thanks guys. Really appreciate. love to know what you guys look for. What determines value?

6. ulackfocus Jan 11, 2014

The market determines value, and excellent original examples will run quite a bit more than average ones.

I look at the following, pretty much in this order, when I check out a vintage watch:

1) The dial because it's the hardest thing to replace, and can be 30% to 40% of the value of a watch.
    2) The crispness of the lugs and case. Unpolished sharp edges are worth searching for.
    3) The caseback medallion. Is all the paint still on it and what kind of condition is it in?
    4) The movement should be clean and no sign of water incursion. Also, are all the parts matching and correct?
    5) The crown and crystal can be considered wear items, but in most instances I'd prefer original or at least correct replacements.

Not concerned about the strap because I'll probably put a new one on that I like. Original straps are rarities though and make for a nice bonus - yet they can drive the price up. Logo buckles are cool too but not a deal breaker.

Spacefruit likes this.
  7. Tyoung Jan 11, 2014

thanks Dennis. So are modified, refurbed faces always a negative?

8. ulackfocus Jan 11, 2014

If they aren't true to original that will kill the value. It hurts the price a lot less when the redial is accurate.

9. Tyoung Jan 11, 2014

interesting. I have a flawless omega seamaster soccer watch with original band. I have seen the watch for 2k and have seen them go for 9k in perfect shape with Box etc. you have to have a keen eye on eBay.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 11, 2014

Yea 9K Is never going to happen for a Soccer Timer, there are people that may list them that high but even mint at an auction house that's not realistic.