Forums Latest Members
  1. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Sep 8, 2013

I have a very limited (inexistant) knowledge on Omega watches of this period, and I would be interested in your opinion on this Seamaster which I recently found :
    [​IMG]

Ref in the case is 2846-1 SC, which dates the model from 1956 according to Omega database. The crown is obviously not original. The glass has the Omega logo in the center but it is cracked and must be changed. I would like your opinion on the dial, is it is a redial or not.

Thanks for any help you can bring,

2. John R Smith Sep 8, 2013

The second hand is too short, either broken or just the wrong hand. The crown I think should be the clover-leaf type.

3. CdnWatchDoc Sep 8, 2013

The patina on that dial looks great! The Omega database claims that the dial has gold riveted markers, but I am pretty sure Omega had a few variations. Yes, that seconds hand is short. The case looks ok from this view; have other pics??

4. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Sep 8, 2013

The one on the database is the KO 2846 (gold cap) this one is the CK 2846 (stainless steel), so this may explain the difference, but once again expert opinion is welcome. I will take more pictures and post them.

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 8, 2013

Dial looks original to me, aged lume at the ends of the daggers matches the lume in the hands, fonts and printing look fine as well.

Crown should be the clover style, not a big issue replacements can be easily sourced.

Omega Database is full of holes and misinformation so it should be used as a identification guide only, many, many different dial styles were offered on this reference.

6. Dablitzer Sep 8, 2013

Looks original to me too. I have seen and owned a few with the same "Seamaster" text. Looks like a nice evenly aged dial, would look great with a nice evenly aged strap too! :D

7. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 8, 2013

As other pointed out, the dial is likely to be original. The fact that the Omega database says "gold riveted markers" is meaningless. They have numerous dial variations and obviously cannot list all these. AFAIK the crown should be in the style shown below.

[​IMG]

The sweep hand is too short, but should not be a major issue to source the correct parts.

8. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Sep 8, 2013

Thanks to all of you for your precious answers.
    Here are some other pics :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caliber is a 501. Like the case, it needs a good cleaning. I will wash the case now that I have removed the caliber for the pictures, but the caliber will probably go to my watchmaker.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  9. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Sep 9, 2013

Fantastic looking dial. Whatever your watchmaker or anyone else says, 1) do not refinish the dial, 2) do not attempt to clean the dial, 3) repeat 1) and 2)....you get the picture.

I remember reading someone's success cleaning old lacquer with some lemon juice and distilled water. I tried it, and the dial came out very clean.
    Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

10. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Sep 9, 2013

I can consider a cleaning only for irremediably unwearable dials. One example where I did try (successfully):
    Before :
    [​IMG]

After :
    [​IMG].

But of course with this Seamaster, I will not do anything on it (especially as the photo magnfies the defects, it looks much smoother in reality). The only cleaning is for the case and the caliber.

11. ulackfocus Sep 9, 2013

I think that's a great lesson about why you SHOULD NOT try to clean a dial!

12. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Sep 9, 2013

That's a good result - what did you use?

13. Sherbie Sep 9, 2013

The lemon and water trick was written up on Desminds site.

a nice brown strap on the OP,s watch and a movement cean/ service is all thats required IMO ( as well as the aforementioned second hand and crown replacement)