Forums Latest Members

Interested in First Rolex

1. spotpea Feb 24, 2017

Hi,
    I'm interested in upgrading to a Rolex. I am pretty low key and want steel and no day/date so it is looking like an Oyster Perpetual is for me. I've noticed that people are divided on Jomashop and would prefer the confidence of a non-gray market watch with a manufacturers warranty but don't know if there are tricks to not paying too much. I know enough to buy in a state with no sales tax and other tricks but since I am clearly new to this if there are good ways to negotiate a little or find a bit of a break it would be appreciated.

Thank you!
    MS

2. Bushido Feb 25, 2017

Hi there and welcome to the forums! The best way to price out what a watch is going for is to follow trends for a little while. There are some good watch sales aggregate sites to make things easier such as Watchrecon. Once you have a handle on average sale amount vs high ask and good deals; it's time to make a move. It doesn't hurt to reach out to a seller and ask "Hi there, I am interested in X watch you are selling. Would you be open to Y amount?"

There are also lots of great people on this forum with a wide breadth of watch preferences. Once you do some homework and narrow down your search. Feel free to respectfully solicit the opinions of members here.

Good luck with the hunt and enjoy it! Searching can and should be a fun part of the watch purchasing experience.

3. spotpea Feb 25, 2017

i would also be interested in opinions on buying a higher level watch used vs a solid but lower new one? Like I really do like the oyster perpetual and would be happy with it but I secretly also like the Millgauss and see that within my price range when I look at used ones.

My husband also reminded me when I bought my Longines it was the second cheapest watch in the store. The sales person understood it was a big purchase for me and treated me like I bought the most expensive watch in the store. Iif I am going full retail I shoukd give that the guy they respect he extended to me and purchase from him.

Sorry to be so remedial but we all started somewhere!

4. alam Feb 25, 2017

When I was looking for my Explorer I, I was able to negotiate a much better discount from an authorized dealer after I mentioned the sales person I was considering using a gray dealer (located ~45 min drive from this particular AD) to get a better price, we went back and forth but at the end, the AD matched the price after verifying the gray dealer's price. I'm sure this tactic will not work on every Rolex model, city/state or perhaps season of the year, but it will not cost you anything to try. ;)

5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 25, 2017

Go for the used Milguass. As long as you practice good due diligence, and well-kept used watch will always represent superior value.

6. spotpea Feb 25, 2017

Excellent suggestions both, thanks!

7. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 25, 2017

If you haven't done so already, consider signing onto The Rolex Forum. I have bought 2 Rolex on TRF and both were a smooth experience. Personally, I would buy used from a trusted seller. Good luck and look forward to seeing what you ultimately get.

8. spotpea Feb 25, 2017

Duh. Rolex forum is kind of obvious how did I not think of it?!?. I lurked here for my husband's Omega and saw the Rolex links but didn't think to actually find a forum.

9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 25, 2017

New watches are like cars - they depreciate at least 20% the moment you put it on your wrist.

Nothing wrong with going second hand.

10. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 25, 2017

Have a look at HQ Milton. Well respected Second hand rolex dealer. A bit pricey, but will negoatiate, and will give you a good idea on prices.

spotpea likes this.
  11. SeanO Feb 25, 2017

Part of the "joy" of upgrading is the AD experience.

don't rush to the discount if you also want the other stuff.

12. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 25, 2017

What I worry about the most with buying used Rolex, is the risk of buying 'fake' that is even hard for a somewhat seasoned collector to identify.

Therefore, in order of decreasing risk (and better recommendation), go with a seasoned seller (S.S.) on The Rolex Forum, a S.S. on OmegaForums (I'm biased!), or HQMilton.

spotpea likes this.
  13. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 26, 2017

I can highly recommend DavidSW on The Rolex Forums, but there are many others. IMO, used is the way to go - so many Like New In Box out there for a significant discount.

dougiedude, spotpea and Traveler like this.
  14. lhawli Feb 26, 2017

Unless you get a steal or a model that is no longer in production, used prices for rolexes do not justify it for me. When I'm spending 10k for a watch, I wouldn't consider the same watch used for 9k.

For the extra grand I would rather be first owner of a brand new watch from an AD and mark it up with my story.

Cheers, Lami

Greatpa and spotpea like this.
  15. trackpad Feb 26, 2017

I agree with and would echo the advice and endorsements from @Darlinboy and @dougiedude – do your homework and then, as the cliche goes, buy the seller. You won't be sorry for taking your time and not going for the lowest price, but for a seller with a good reputation.

Also remember that no matter how incredible a deal seems, there will always be others. One of the things that makes this fun is that the next incredible piece is always right around the corner... Enjoy the hunt, take your time and do your homework would be my advice. Don't rush it or do anything on impulse. Negotiate, but be reasonable and don't pass on something you really want over a $200 difference.

Oh, and if you really want to thank the salesperson that treated you so well before (and that would be great!) locate the regional manager using LinkedIn or by calling the store, and relate your good experience with this salesperson first hand.

dougiedude, spotpea and blufinz52 like this.
  16. spotpea Feb 26, 2017

Interesting there is a big price difference in a Milgauss on Bob's vs HQ Milton. I am not going for cheapest but I certainly can see the appeal of buying used vs new.

Lami I am usually 100% with you. Buy what you know and make it yours even if you pay more but I am trying to make this a bit of fun too. I've learned more in the 24 hours that I've posted here than with any other bigger purchase.

Thanks all!

OMGRLX likes this.
  17. lhawli Feb 26, 2017

Of course, cause this is straight from the people that went through the experience and don't have hidden agendas :).

Don't get me wrong I buy used and still do, but it needs to make sense! When dishing out 1000s of dollars on a watch I know I want to keep and pass on, I don't cheap out on a used to save a couple of 1000! On the other hand i lust over a Pepsi gmt or NOMOS Orion, which I wouldn't hesitate to purchase used either because I have no choice (gmt) or by choice (Nomos).

Also, for PM watches, used markets can be very interesting as you can get 20-30% off - then you're saving 10k+. But personally I'm a SS watch kinda guy.

But let me tell you, there is no joy bigger than the thrill of the hunt... it's a disease!

Edited Feb 26, 2017
  18. spotpea Feb 26, 2017

Glad I went to try them on. That Milgauss is massive!! Ended up liking the 34mm oyster perpetual, now to scope out vintage vs new!!

19. Bushido Feb 26, 2017

That is a MASSIVE can of worms! Both the amount of detail and information as well as the opinions on both sides by us crazy watch geeks!

Darlinboy likes this.
  20. chows99 Mar 1, 2017

I will get a modern rolex as my 1st watch. wear it till it turns vintage! with a story of your own!

Greatpa likes this.