Forums Latest Members
  1. kov Trüffelschwein. Jul 31, 2019

Instagram is starting to cut off its most addictive feature, and it could have huge consequences for teens' mental health

Instagram has started testing a much-rumored feature in several countries that will hide from your followers the number of likes you get on your posts.

Instagram announced it was "running a test" on some users, a couple months after rumors first emerged that the photo-sharing platform was testing such a feature. Hiding the number of likes is designed to put "focus on the photos and videos you share, not how many likes they get," Instagram wrote on Twitter.

The experiment with hiding likes affects "some people" in seven countries — Australia, Brazil, Canada, Ireland, Italy, Japan, and New Zealand. The "like" feature won't be hidden completely; users can see the number of likes on their own posts, but not on others' pictures and videos.

Instagram confirmed in May that it was testing hiding likes on users' news feeds. Adam Mosseri, the head of Instagram, told BuzzFeed News that the purpose of the test was to create "a less pressurized environment where people feel comfortable expressing themselves."

But Instagram isn't the only platform to weigh the effects of like counts on users' mental health. Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey has said if he had to go back and redesign the platform, he "wouldn't even have a like count in the first place." Dorsey has floated the idea before of getting rid of the "like" button to ensure the platform is "incentivizing healthy conversation," but Twitter has denied that will happen anytime soon.

There are several studies and numerous psychologists that have found a link between the amount of time teens spend on social media and depression. Celebrities such as Selena Gomez and Demi Lovato have publicly spoken out about needing to take breaks from their social-media accounts in order to care for their mental health. Gomez has said social media has been "dangerous" for both herself and for teens.

Any number of people who have spent time on social media can attest to its addictive qualities, which are even apparent in this viral video of a chimpanzee mindlessly scrolling through an Instagram news feed.

Some young users in Canada who have already had a chance to test out an Instagram with hidden likes told HuffPost that their experiences have been positive.

"Personally, I love not seeing the like count," 22-year-old Sarah Roberts told HuffPost. "It feels a bit weird to say, but I've stopped comparing myself to bigger accounts. I've also been more personal with the things I actually like versus what everyone else is liking."

Source : businessinsider.fr

Does the number of likes here on OF affect our mental health same way? :taunt:

Edited Jul 31, 2019
    Gefa, sliceoftime_, OWa and 4 others like this.
  2. astrand Jul 31, 2019

I read that there may be a ban on "infinite scroll" functionality on websites and apps, thinking that having to click next page or load more will reduce the addictive quality of many sites.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 31, 2019

I’m nearly 50, couldn’t care who likes or doesn’t like anything I say, do or think.....

( Except Mrs STANDY ;) And I do whatever she likes most of the time;) )

wristpirate, Sanremo, ICONO and 18 others like this.
  4. kov Trüffelschwein. Jul 31, 2019

I actually like this initiative :thumbsup:

BatDad and Tophership like this.
  5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 31, 2019

I wish they would revert their POS algorithm (or give the choice) i.e to go back to how it was and be able to see posts in chronological order of posting by all those I follow (not by some retard-logic based on likes).

I also wish every new update would not be a stability regression : It has been seriously buggy the last 6+ months.

But as to likes ... :rolleyes: ...

6. Tophership Jul 31, 2019

I've lost count of the number of hours I've spent scrolling insta browsing watches while my legs go numb from sitting on the toilet so long haha

Lonestar, Sanremo, ICONO and 8 others like this.
  7. ConElPueblo Jul 31, 2019

As I fear for the mental health of @STANDY, I gave him a like for his post, just in case...

Lonestar, Sanremo, George.A and 13 others like this.
  8. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jul 31, 2019

Probably not 'likes,' no... but I'd imagine there's a fair bit of potential here for some people, particularly newcomers, to find themselves constantly comparing their own watch(es) to those of other members, convincing themselves that theirs isn't good enough or whatever... almost like a playground-mentality, for want of a better word.

Edited Jul 31, 2019
    ConElPueblo and Martin_J_N like this.
  9. Martin_J_N Jul 31, 2019

I use IG for my photography posts, I used to get very upset when a picture with a sloping horizon, out of focus subject and generally poor picture was receiving 000's of likes with 00's of comments spouting rubbish about how good the picture was when in fact it was awful, if you added any constructive criticism about how to improve the image you were inundated with abuse.

Now I couldn't give a s*** how many likes others get so from my perspective (miserable old git) bring it on.

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 31, 2019

::love::

89-0 and marco like this.
  11. mblease Jul 31, 2019

Likes are one thing, but what really grinds my gears is that so many Instagram users 'buy' followers that the entire system is pretty floored. Seeing how many likes a users posts get vs how many followers they appear to have is often a good indication of who the fakers are.

12. Martin_J_N Jul 31, 2019

I think that you are right, people perceive that you have to have the latest and greatest in order to be accepted and respected. My hobby is photography, there are always debates about whether the latest camera is going to improve you images, its not but many will have to buy that new camera or lens just because...

In reality we don't need the latest and greatest to be happy but the way that products are marketed suggests that unless we own that 'new' item with all those whizz-bang features that we never knew we needed, we will somehow feel inadequate.

madjestikmoose likes this.
  13. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jul 31, 2019

I agree with you completely - I'm into photography, particularly aerially, and the drone I own is a fairly basic one. I occasionally post its photos online and people are sometimes surprised when I tell them what model it is, because of course their mate has the latest state-of-the-art, go-faster aircraft that cost four times the price of mine. That's usually where the conversation ends!

14. Rochete Jul 31, 2019

I don't use IG nor do I plan to. I couldn't care less about "following" other people's mostly fake lives.

Evitzee and marco like this.
  15. FlyingSnoopy Jul 31, 2019

If they do that they might end up loosing users.
    A lot of people use it for business and promotion (influencers, business people, products, even watch industry) so I doubt it that they will change the system of the likes...
    Cheers

16. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 31, 2019

I had one friend that would post pics of her 1 week vacation over a 5 week period. Made it appear as it was a 5 week vacation.

RawArcher, michael22, lando and 2 others like this.
  17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 31, 2019

Can we see some pic,s :thumbsup:

madjestikmoose likes this.
  18. BenBagbag Jul 31, 2019

My pet peeve is when people glorify likes on their story. The "Thanks @user for the likes" post and sharing a screenshot of the likes. Very lame.

19. staristheanswer Jul 31, 2019

The number of likes it is actually equaled with how wealthy you are or how pretty/handsome you are.The richer you are the more likes you get.
    You can see this phenomenon everywhere.So if you have more money you have a bigger collection of watches
    for example,so more likes for you :D

marco likes this.
  20. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jul 31, 2019

Sure! :)

DJI_0002.jpg DJI_0013.JPG Sailing.JPG Doelan Pano JPEG (2).jpg HammerSpanner Warp.jpg DJI_0001.jpg DJI_0002.1.jpg