Forums Latest Members

Instagram Influence on Your Collection and Overall Market

1. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 26, 2016

While I know that not everyone is on Instagram, I wanted to gauge the influence the site has had on others collecting, and their general thoughts on the influence it has on the market on a whole.

I am not sure if I am in the minority, but I have used IG an amazing research tool, much like the OF, but with a far greater reach. It has enabled me, much like the OF, to see collections from around the world with the ability to engage in dialogue with fellow collectors.

The amount of information I have gleaned, as well as the contacts I have made, is equal to, or maybe greater that those on the OF. Between the two, in the last year, I have eclipsed my previous 29 years of collecting, and gained more useful knowledge that enables me to be a much more savvy collector.

Because of IG, I have seen watches that I never knew existed, and from the pictures and subsequent conversations with the owners, learned the nuances of the pieces, and what to look for when purchasing.

Other benefits are the connections made to collector-dealers, as I call them, those who are passionate about vintage watches and deal in watches as a side gig. Not only do you see what they are selling, but you also get the pulse of the market--what is moving and for how much.

Overall, I see IG an empowering platform for collectors, and definitely has a huge impact on the market because it allows pieces to be "seen in the wild" and puts watches on collector's radars.

Anyway, would love to get other members thoughts on IG, as well as the monikers so I can follow them.

watchknut on IG

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 26, 2016

From my 15 year olds mouth:

Instagram? Oh yeah. That's for old people.

So I guess I should be on it.

Just when I worked out how to change my Facebook privacy settings.

(Facebook? Yeah that's for companies and shit. Oh yea, and making a fake resume so when they look you up your all clean.)

Willem023, Jwit, bazamu and 4 others like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 26, 2016

The main reason I dislike IG is that its a very artificial and often dishonest medium, especially for a lot of dealers. You're talking about a platform where altering photos is encouraged and used extensively, turning normal dials into chocolate dials, a Porsche in a parking lot into your Porsche in the parking lot, where anyone can claim anything and where people try to create a persona or image.

I know one of these so called collector-dealers in particular who actually stole a picture of @MSNWatch's Constellation Piepan in 18K rose gold and then applied a filter to it before accepting compliments on the quality of "his" watch from his would-be customers.

Its a fantasy world where nobody gets called on their shit, which leads to... an abundance of shit.

Ludi, Gavin, 1685 and 5 others like this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 26, 2016

So would you fit into the collector-dealer as you call them ? That has the pulse of the market.

5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 26, 2016

Lots of over-processing, and efforts to lure silly offers.

Yes, there are some very interesting and watches to be found, but it hasn't had the slightest influence on my collecting.

6. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 26, 2016

Zero influence on my collection.
    Only benefit I can see is some pieces
    dealers acquire are seen on IG and then
    never again, meaning that they got sold.
    So if you want to get a jump on let's say
    jacek's inventory, you need to follow it

7. West Slope Feb 26, 2016

Yet another option in a long list of time wasting alternatives.

8. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 26, 2016

Personally I don't think so, as I consider those individuals have to have a more formal presence (i.e. a website, NAWCC membership, attend dealer shows, have a book of business, etc.). I am merely, as I have stated before, a watch collector who buys and sells to fund their collection. If I don't profit all of the watches that I sell, then I cannot buy more watches. I try to have a good handle on market pricing, as it is an important aspect of buying and selling.

@dsio I hear you about the bull shit, but what is great about IG is that you choose who you follow. It is pretty easy to tell who the real collectors are, and the ones that do not use filters and only take pictures of their own watches. Since you control the feed, you control what you see. Most collectors take pride in not processing their watches and showing them in a No Filter state...or at least the people that I follow.

It is definitely not for everyone, but does act as a great platform for people to expand their horizons to collectors that are not on OF.

For example, there was an obscure piece that I knew nothing about, but was very interested in procuring one. One of the people I follow had one in his collection, and I message him about the watch. We had a very nice conversation, and he gave valuable insight into market, and even pointed me to two people that he knew had one for sale. His insight influenced my purchasing an example of the watch. He is in HK and I am NC...pretty cool in my book.

@pitpro there are many people on IG that sell watches other than Jacek, and just like here on the forums, if you see something you like, you can always get on someones radar as an interested party for a future sale.

9. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Feb 26, 2016

One of my beefs with Instagram is the sheer vanity of it.

All people do there is show off their watches or show off other people's watches. Or they show off a watch with the implicit intention of selling it - or maybe not? Who knows? You feeling lucky, punk?

Now, we all on this forum show off to some extent - but on Instagram it's practically required. At OF, we also write extensively (and pictureless) for the sake of furthering the knowledge of the community, without any secondary need for circle jerk approval.

Gavin, STANDY and watchknut like this.
  10. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 26, 2016

@pitpro there are many people on IG that sell watches other than Jacek,....[/QUOTE]
    that's good to know

11. marturx Feb 26, 2016

I'm surprised to read the negative reactions to OP's description of the concept of Instagram as a platform for watchcollecting.

I have also observed the emerging market there, and what seems to be (at keast in my eyes) young actors in it. I imagined it to he, precisely as watchknut points out, a good way for the younger generations of watch collectors, to grow a network, knowledge in watches and ultimately a collection of them.

Myself I'm to old for it, and not that much of a social media guy either.

As for a teenager and their perspective on "old people"; in their book it's everyone over 25 :D

12. ulackfocus Feb 26, 2016

Instagram sounds like a quick way to buy cocaine.

13. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 26, 2016

Chuckled out loud on that one...:p

14. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 26, 2016

I prefer instanickelbag, as I like to sleep.

peatnick and pitpro like this.
  15. ulackfocus Feb 26, 2016

Goes great with Doritos too!

Kinda cracked myself up with that one too. (bad pun totally intended :D)

Andy K likes this.
  16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 26, 2016

Spoken like a true child of the 1980's. ;)
    gatorcpa

Spacefruit and Darlinboy like this.
  17. lwong Feb 26, 2016

To answer OP's question directly:

Influence on market, I think is pretty large - it hits a huge demographic of younger collectors (or buyers, or traders, or whatever), so once something goes viral, it really goes.

Influence on my own collection, somewhat less - with exception that it's enabled me to be exposed to many new and wonderful watches that I previously didn't know existed (and some of these are right crackers!). So in that sense, there is an influence. But ultimately, I figure if someone's been around long enough to know what he/she likes, then you'd gun for those fundamentals nonetheless, and IG is ultimately a pleasant distraction.

bazamu, Traveler and watchknut like this.
  18. ulackfocus Feb 26, 2016

Influence on my collection = 0.

Fun thread so far though! :p

19. grizzlycanuck Feb 26, 2016

Personally, I have used it as a resource to see all kinds of different watches. Its a great platform for the beginning collector, like me, who wants to be exposed to all kinds of different watches and see what they may like to add or expand within their collection.

And of course, you can follow me @agedpatina::stirthepot::

gophishin and Noles_88 like this.
  20. KstateSkier Feb 26, 2016

I like IG. Gives me something to do in the shitter.

Traveler, watchknut and ulackfocus like this.