Forums Latest Members

Insert Change on a GMT 16750 Plexi - is it Difficult?

1. CoDiffe Mar 11, 2020

I’ve gotten a few different inserts to switch out on my matte dial 16750 but I’m nervous to try popping off the bezel. Have watched a few videos on YouTube and it seems simple enough; however, they are videos of the Master II with clicking bezel and sapphire crystal so I would think mine would be a little different.

I believe there is a tension ring underneath mine that allows the bezel to slide/turn - not exactly sure what would happen once I pop the bezel off and more importantly if it’s difficult to put back on.

Any advice from the vets out there who’ve done this before?

2. Lazy_Lightning Mar 11, 2020

This is for a 1680, but should be helpful.

CoDiffe likes this.
  3. Mr Blond Mar 11, 2020

It’s easy don’t worry about it.

I’ve heard that sometimes they can be difficult to get on, but never had any problems with mine.

4. Kali77 Mar 11, 2020

5. ATWG Mar 11, 2020

As mentioned, it’s not difficult. However, you have to be aware that sometimes inserts don’t fit quite nicely band snug. Some fit too loose, which in that case will need to be glued to the bezel. While others will be too tight and won’t easily slip into the bezel, which will need enlarging with special tools.

Believe me, I’ve been in both predicaments, not the end of the world but not straight forward either.

Good luck.

6. CoDiffe Mar 11, 2020

This is what I’m most worried about happening.

7. 993watch Mar 11, 2020

Not really worth the risk of a DIY project if this is your first time. Take it to a competent watchmaker for peace of mind.

8. CoDiffe Mar 16, 2020

Thanks everyone for the help. Ended up attempting it myself and I’m glad I did because it turned out to be pretty painless and easy as many here stated.

I used an old drivers license inside of a zip lock bag to pop off the bezel as I was pretty concerned with scratching something. Initially tried a credit card but it was too thin.

Pic below! This is the fun part of the GMT for me. So many options for inserts!

BC43BAF2-039A-4B9D-AB83-F142511A5768.jpeg

Sculler22 and ATWG like this.