Inquiry on Seamaster Chronometre Cal. 352, Ref. 2577 with Rare Caseback Neptune Etching

Dear Esteemed Members,

I am reaching out to gather your insights regarding a Seamaster Chronometre, caliber 352, reference 2577. This model features an intricate etching of the Neptune logo on its case back, which I believe to be factory done, based on the design quality and striking details characteristic of Omega's craftsmanship.

To support my claim, I have included several images of the watch and Neptune case back etching below, along with an image of "Neptune's Chariot" from page 715 of A Journey Through Time (AJTT) for comparative purposes.

While this is not my watch, I am specifically interested in the case back etching as I have not encountered this specific variant before and am particularly keen to learn if any of you have come across similar case back etchings depicting King Neptune in your collections, or if you have any additional information about its rarity and/or significance.

Your collective expertise and insights would be invaluable to me as I seek to understand the rarity and significance of this watch. Thank you in advance for your contributions.

1727419290536.jpg 2577.jpg 352 movement.jpg Neptune.jpg 1727418580468.jpg 1000070038.jpg
Edited:

I’m a bit confused by the images provided. Based on the shape of the crown in this picture:

1727440052999.png
I would think this picture is the back of the same watch:
1727440115036.png
Is this picture of another watch?
1727440201094.png
The crown is certainly different. What is the origin of this photo?

The only people who could answer your question definitely would be Omega’s Heritage department. Unfortunately, they are in such disarray that they cannot provide anyone with information at the present time.

gatorcpa

Wondering if someone had the back done by a metal smith to match the Cloisonné dial design.

As mentioned. omega may or may not be able to confirm if back is original or not

The dial is certainly not fully original. At the least it’s been cleaned and the lume removed.

I think the dial has been fully refinished.

I also don’t think the engraving is factory. It’s is very stylised yet quite naive and feels out of sync with the type of engraving one would expect at the time the watch was made.
I’d say, the engraving is aftermarket and wasn’t done when the wqtxh was nearly new but some years after.

Well, on an aesthetic basis, I quite like the caseback 😀

I think the dial has been fully refinished.
I concur.
Too heavy serifs and inconsistent inking in the text.
The recesses for the lume are all empty...