Forums Latest Members
  1. Kral Nov 18, 2020

Hello,
    I gambled on an auction for a model/dial I really want and unfortunately it doesn't seem to have paid off this time. Price was quite low but the auction pictures were bad and plexi scratched. Before writing it of as a redial entirely I feel it would be wise to ask more experienced collectors.

My concern is with the subdial, mainly the painted indexes. I find it hard to believe they would look like this leaving the factory. I'll also add a closeup of the logo, it looks good to me but perhaps I'm missing something? If someone could confirm my fears it would be much appreciated, it will then be used for parts only.

20201118_172251.jpg 20201118_172356.jpg 20201118_180409.jpg 20201118_172426.jpg

2. BlueHands Nov 18, 2020

The subdial print looks wonky and it's off center if you look at the gap between the "7" and the "5". The dial feet are a good indicator for originality of the dial, if you could have a look on the movement. The Longines font looks good to me. Crown isn't original, not sure with the hands, the lenght seems to be OK. What about the reference to compare with others?

3. Kral Nov 18, 2020

Thank you for your answer :)
    I need better tools to open the caseback but it should be a 6263. Compared to a few similar examples the hands, aswell as the gap between subdial and “5” looks correct to me. The crown as you say replacement.

The wonky print should be a dealbreaker here though? But perhaps it’s only the subdial that has been repainted?
    Are dial feet visible from removing the caseback only? If so I’ll try again to get it open.

4. BlueHands Nov 18, 2020

Yes, you spot the dial feet if you have a look at the movement. They should be copper-toned not silver. Maybe subdial was reprinted, the edges are sharp. The dial itself and the numbers look really nice.

Kral likes this.
  5. Dan S Nov 18, 2020

My guess would be that the dial has been touched up somehow, but not completely repainted, because the LONGINES printing looks quite good. I agree that the subdial looks redone, and I also think that the lume dots are probably not original.

Kral likes this.
  6. Radiumpassion Nov 18, 2020

I think it`s a original dial.

Dries, bardamu, janice&fred and 3 others like this.
  7. Kral Nov 18, 2020

I’ll try to get the caseback open tomorrow, thank you all for sharing your input!

@Radiumpassion anything specific that makes you think so? Or the general impression?

8. Radiumpassion Nov 18, 2020

I`m just a average Joe sharing my opinion, but I have seen some of these before. Even owned a couple and I see nothing wrong with it. Why would someone redial a subdial?

Edited Nov 18, 2020
    Syrte and Kral like this.
  9. Kral Nov 18, 2020

And thank you for doing so, very appreciated :)
    That’s a good point, my thinking was damage from the secondhand. But the circular texture of the subdial looks quite crisp and not painted over at all.

Might not find a clear answer and in that case I’ll hold on to it and keep a look out for a twin with better printing on the subdial :thumbsup:

10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Nov 18, 2020

I have to agree with @Radiumpassion. While I’ve never handled any of those, and while the uneven indexes on the subdial are puzzling, I’ve seen a few of them go by on the web- this Longines signature is perfect, the lume plots are exactly as they should — and the edges of the numerals are crisp and clean.
    It’s interesting to conclude there may be imperfect watches leaving the factory- as the subdial indexes evidence. However again its texture is fine and its edges are sharp.

Kral and Rumar89 like this.
  11. hejsam Nov 18, 2020

My guess is original too, I have owned a couple of 6263’s and a several of Longines from this era. And my experience is that minute and second marker sometimes look rather sloppy in macro from factory. Even applied logo and numerals sometimes can be a bit off-center on some examples.

The text, numerals, lumeplots and strukture of the sub-dial on yours looks to good to be repainted IMO.

Kral and ConElPueblo like this.
  12. bubba48 Nov 18, 2020

Completely original

bardamu and Kral like this.
  13. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Nov 19, 2020

The crown looks to be replaced.

Can those who claim the dial is original provide photos of a similar watch with subdial counters that crooked?

Kral likes this.
  14. Kral Nov 19, 2020

Once again thanks to every one sharing their opinions :)

Yes, the crown is a replacement, original should be signed and rounded.

Caseback opened and reference is 6263 and dialfeet if I'm looking at the correct place seem like they are copper-toned, picture below.

20201119_124617.jpg
    20201119_124527.jpg

Perhaps my expectation that original dials should be perfect is unrealistic. I know certain longines models like the Special had kind of sloppy prints. Searching the web for 6263s with the exact same dial I find a few, even some with poor or possibly poor subdial prints(blurry pictures make it difficult to tell). I also find examples where the subdial print is similar but straight.

To clarify I'm not expecting a to be able to know for sure if the dial is original or not. I like hearing your opinions. :)

hejsam likes this.
  15. BlueHands Nov 19, 2020

Yes, copper-tone dial feet (above the balance wheel) and a clean and nice movement. The experts are right, dial is OK.
    Fit a nice strap and wear it with pleasure :).

Kral likes this.
  16. mahamithra Nov 29, 2020

The art of dial manufacture at this time period was not a perfect science. I believe the dial to be genuine.

Kral likes this.
  17. LesXL Nov 29, 2021

Bumping this as I was comparing it to the one I just got a few weeks ago... Same reference 6263. Nothing major to discuss, just if future buyers would be looking for information.
    PXL_20211127_184312621.jpg PXL_20211127_155148025.jpg

Kral and Dan S like this.