Forums Latest Members
  1. Resolute Sep 24, 2013

I am in need of knowledge, though I've been through many sources, I've come up short. I inherited an Omega Automatic Seamaster Meister. It's gold and stainless steel with a gold over stainless bracelet. Production is in the 1958-59 range. I've been to several jewelers and the word from them is the watch is in condition 2 [fine], but none would lock down a value without a full appraisal. Catch 22: I don't want to pay for an appraisal if it costs more than the watch. One jeweler says the watch is a first production and the Meister is superior to the De Ville. Big issue; I can't find definitive information on the Meister. Can anybody help? If I decide to sell, which gets best bang, auction or advertise? Thanks for looking.

2. ulackfocus Sep 24, 2013

Hi there. A few things for you:

a) We don't think well without pictures.

b) Start a new thread - with pictures - asking about it.

c) Appraisals are inflated values and not the price a watch will sell for.

Resolute likes this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 24, 2013

d) Meister is a Jeweler, retail store, not a model of the watch. These labels were added by some sellers as a prestige marketing addition. It does not indicate an enhancement the quality of the watch or movement

Resolute likes this.
  4. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 24, 2013

e) Do not take it back to that Jeweller. They don't know what they are talking about.

Resolute likes this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 24, 2013

^ This precisely, as long as you take quality photos, the market will dictate price

6. Resolute Sep 24, 2013

cicindela; Would this Meister logo have gone on during production/assembly? To my knowledge, this watch was purchased in Charlottesville, Virginia, and I don't recognize if it is a jewelers name.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 24, 2013

No, it is a European Dealer and it would have by added later (by all accounts). In any event the watch would not have been purchased New, from a Charlottesville retailer.

8. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 25, 2013