Forums Latest Members
  1. MajPete Oct 1, 2016

I have inherited my late fathers 50's Omega. Not working and I'm considering sending it to be completely refurbished. It's not a Seamaster but looks very like a 2802 - without the seamaster branding. It also comes with a fixo flex braclet. I would be most grateful if someone could identify the model. Pics attached- hopefully. I have the generic omega guarantee but it has no ref of the model no.

Edited Oct 1, 2016
  2. MajPete Oct 1, 2016

3. Vicke Oct 1, 2016

efauser likes this.
  4. ChrisN Oct 1, 2016

Welcome to the forum.

It would certainly be nice to have this fixed up as a momento of your late father.

Unfortunately, without additional information as noted above, it would be hard to make any specific comments about your watch. Clearly, the dial has some issues - are you thinking to keep it as is or source a period replacement dial? It's not that unattractive as is but not everyone wants such patina.

Have a Watchmaker open it and try and get the model number, calibre and serial number. The latter two will be on the movement.

Regards, Chris

5. MajPete Oct 2, 2016

Thanks Chris, I was thinking of a complete refurbishment and have someone in mind. I will take your advice and have the watch opened to get the information.

6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 2, 2016

Hi Pete, when you talk about "refurbishment", you have to be careful what you mean and what gets done.

1/ You should be aware that only original dials have value to watch conoisseurs.
    Any dial restoration, "repainting", "refinishing" will kill the value of your watch as an original vintage watch.
    This is why @ChrisN is talking about finding an "original replacement".
    Some watchmakers may tell you otherwise because they cater to the tastes of a broader, undiscerning public, which likes watches to look new and shiny.
    Vintage watch enthusiasts, however, generally consider that you mustn't touch an original dial.

Personally I like patina, it gives a unique character to a watch, and I like this warm capuccino color.
    it could look great on a nice, simple chocolate brown colored strap, and you could try to wear it like so for a while and see how you feel.

2/ likewise, the case should not be polished.
    At most you could buff it lightly with a cloth -- but you should not let anyone polish it with a machine.
    This would irreparably blunt the sharp edges of the case and lugs.
    And it would look out of place with this dial if you decide to keep it.

So the essential part is to get the movement repaired and serviced, with possible crystal polish.
    Then if the dial patina is really off putting to you, take the time to find an original replacement.

Best regards,
    S

Edited Oct 2, 2016
    Darlinboy likes this.
  7. MajPete Oct 2, 2016

Syrte
    Thank you for this excellent advice, it's exactly why I posted and illustrates how useful forums such as this are. I intend sending the watch of shortly to be assessed, if I decide to replace the dial I will ask them to try an source an original.

I wasn't aware of the polishing issue and will certainly consider this. Thank you again.

P

Syrte likes this.
  8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 2, 2016

Your repairer might not be able to source an original dial on his own, and it might take some of your own effort on Ebay, forums etc.
    Who you choose as a repairer is critical.
    Some watchmakers will understand and respect your needs, then there are repairers who just want to make their money fast, can't be bothered --and they will claim original replacement dials can't be found, will push you to repaint, don't let yourself be bullied into it.
    That is just not true, and a treasured family heirloom is worth the effort.

Depending on where you are people here might be able to recommend the right person for this job.

9. MajPete Oct 2, 2016

I have had someone recommend a company.

However I am happy to post the watch anywhere in the UK if I can get appropriate recommendations based on forum users own experience...