Forums Latest Members
  1. tspinning Jul 1, 2019

Hello folks, very proud today to unexpectedly inherit my Grandfather's Omega Seamaster 300! My father is retiring to Portugal and did a massive purge of things and in a small box was his fathers 'old watch'. I'm over the moon ;) to have come across something from his side of the family as there really aren't any other mementos that exist to my knowledge.

I've attached a picture and would love ideas on year/movement. She is a bit fast accelerating a rather unsettling amount of time (+45 min day!). I plan to find a reputable service person (advise welcome) in the Boston (North Shore) area but wonder roughly what new crystal and typically overhaul/tune-up might be expected to run.

Very excited to join the Omega family,

Tom

OmegaSeamaster300.jpg
  2. jimmyd13 Jul 1, 2019

That's a beautiful, desirable and relatively valuable watch - even better with the family connection.

There is a good watchmaker in Boston, but I forget the name. I'm sure someone will come along soon enough to let you know.

3. yande Jul 1, 2019

DaveK likes this.
  4. rob#1 Jul 1, 2019

Very nice, looks great, congratulations. Wait for the experts with local knowledge to advise you where to send it for a sympathetic clean and full service, then enjoy your fantastic heirloom.

5. redzer007 Jul 1, 2019

Stay way from Omega for the Service, you will get someone good local.

Lovely watch. Is it on the bracelet?

marco likes this.
  6. KingCrouchy Jul 1, 2019

This! Don't send it to Omega. They will probably change some parts and you will end up with a watch having lost most of its value.

watchyouwant and stahlmotte like this.
  7. stahlmotte Jul 1, 2019

Nice watch!

8. tspinning Jul 1, 2019

Thanks all, this was a truly magnificent occurrence. Grandpa left Oklahoma during the Dust Bowl and never looked back. Ended up in in the insurance industry in Kansas City, MO and later Amherst, NY area for some time before moving towards Florida. A real 'old hippie' according to my pops who was supposed to come live with us back in 96-97 but passed rather unexpectedly weeks before arriving. I was always sad I didn't really get to know him aside from my fathers tales and one visit to us in 96.

Really interesting as soon as my dad pulled out the little velvet bag he kept the watch in I actually could remember the clasp icon and knew there was an Omega in there, but hadn't seen it in 20+ years!

Etp095, micampe, ConElPueblo and 6 others like this.
  9. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Jul 1, 2019

FrankSpeedy and KingCrouchy like this.
  10. chronoboy64 Jul 1, 2019

Great watch, huge congrats and best luck with the intended Service :thumbsup:

11. tspinning Jul 1, 2019

Did some reading and general interneting and consensus is strong with The Watchmaker in Stoneham, MA. I visited the shop this afternoon and after a pleasent conversation with the owner have left it in their hands for assement and servicing.

Particularly cool is that his father, the original proprietor, does the vintage service work. It will no doubt be sometime before the fruits of his efforts come to bare but I will do my best to necro this thread with results and my experience.

Cheers all, and again, I'm honored to unexpectedly, but not un-asporationally join this club!

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 1, 2019

I think what @yande meant was start with Omega's pricing (usually the most expensive) and use that as a gauge as to what the OP gets quoted elsewhere.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  13. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jul 2, 2019

Very nice ! Pls. Tell them, Not to change a thing cosmetically . Polish the existing crystal, don't change it. Crown should be fine with a new crown seal. The bezel seems damaged around 3 o clock. Keep the bezel on and ask them, to fill existing cracks with a clear compound and polish these areas with a Dremel and crystal polishing compound to blend in. Will be a fabulous watch !

murph and ConElPueblo like this.
  14. ConElPueblo Jul 2, 2019

Indeed. My experience with old-timers running watch servicing is that they absolutely need to be told to lay off the reluming etc. and preferably more than once.

Davidt and murph like this.
  15. bags1971 Jul 2, 2019

lovely looks near identical to mine

20190702_062031[1].jpg
    Etp095, tspinning and DaveK like this.
  16. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jul 2, 2019

No, get a new crystal. They are identical to vintage and you need it for water resistance. Sometimes you can change a crown seal, sometimes not. Change the crown, again, for water resistance.

Originality stops being important when you wear your watch. Don’t forget many worn movement parts will be replaced.

Tom

wagudc likes this.
  17. tspinning Jul 2, 2019

Love the input, I'll def not re-lume as I have a SKX-007 for night play. Great idea on the mild bezel restoration, this is helpful for my ability to articulate what the end result should be. Cheers.

18. Edward53 Jul 2, 2019

Not to me it doesn't! Keep it as original as possible and just don't wear it anywhere near water, is that really so hard to do?

Davidt likes this.
  19. tspinning Jul 2, 2019

As an InfoSec professional I'm not often soaked at the desk, however as a father of a three year old and a six month old there is no telling what could happen. That plus Boston winters and summer humidity send me toward waterproofing.

warrydog likes this.
  20. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jul 3, 2019

The crystal is absolutely identical. The crown may not be, if not, save the old one.

Deliberately compromising a dive watch like that, you may as well keep it in a shrine or don’t buy it at all.

Tom

larryganz likes this.