Forums Latest Members
  1. HaploVuist May 3, 2017

Hi all,

I am a complete newbie to vintage watches and have really enjoyed reading your insights and discussions.

At the end of last year I have inherited a vintage Omega watch, which I am told is dated around the 1960's. I do not have any clue as to which model it may be. Do you have any insights on such?

As the watch is a family piece, I have no interest in selling it. I did notice that the hands are oxidated and that the dial has some scratches on it (I hope it shows clearly enough on the picture). As I intend to wear the watch in daily life, I would like it to be serviced. From the various threads I do tend to believe that it would be best to keep the original dial (also as it adds some character).

Given that the hands are rusted, I am wondering whether this is something to have addressed or whether it would be something left better as is. In your opinion and experience, can the hands be returned to the original state, or if not, would the same hands be available (ideally at Omega)? If neither is an option, should I have them replaced by newly crafted hands?

Thanks in advance!

Omega.jpg
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 3, 2017

The hands are likely plated, so if they are polished the plating will come off. I suppose they could be replated, but I would suggest a new set of hands would be a better option if you are not happy with these. Omega still carries a wide variety of hands, but to correctly identify what is available, we would need the case number from inside the case back.

Cheers, Al

3. HaploVuist May 4, 2017

Thanks for the quick input. The case number is 21704066. Would this also help in dating the watch?

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 4, 2017

The case number is stamped or engraved on the inside of the case back. I think you've quoted the movement (the working bits) serial number, which would date your watch to around 1964/1966.

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 4, 2017

Advising us of your location would help in recommendations for servicing.

6. Edward53 May 4, 2017

The wear on the hands won't show from more than 12 inches away, and if you're that close you'll also see the slight spotting on the dial which pretty much matches the hands in terms of condition. If that were my watch I would get the movement serviced and do absolutely nothing else. It's a nice vintage watch in good untouched original condition and very wearable as it is. My opinon - if you put new hands on they'll clash with the rest of it and you'll wish you'd left it alone.