Forums Latest Auctions Members
  1. HannekeW

HannekeW Sep 3, 2016

Thanks to all of you I know the Omega is a fake.

DSCN0660.JPG DSCN0661.JPG
    I put the fake omega pictures back up.
    The little omega symbol came loose and is inside the glass, It has markings on the back case. I would like to know if this is real or fake and if real what it could be worth. I would have it serviced if it is real so I can sell it but I need to know if it is worth it. I am not wealthy and do not want a jeweler to charge me a couple of hundred dollars to service and then find it is worthless. Any help is very much appreciated. It was very hard to get a real clear pic from the back, it says omega watch co. and underneath 10k 0750 in the triangle.
    if you need a better picture let me know and I will have to take it to a pro. my camera is not one pros, use. The front as you can see the omega symbol lays on the bottom, it says omega seamaster 17 jewels.

I see ebayers selling omega watches for lots of money but after reading your forum I am worried I may invest in a fake. I hope you can help me.
    Thank you,
    Hanneke Wasserman.

ADDED PICTURE OF INSIDE OF FAKE OMEGA F.Y.I.:
    fake.jpg

Edited Sep 13, 2016
  2. JimInOz

JimInOz "Helpful Hints from Heloise" of bracelet cleaning. Sep 3, 2016

Terrible fake.

Well known Swiss made from about the 1960s or so.

Selling it would be a crime in many places.

You'd get more satisfaction by smashing it with a hammer.

GuiltyBoomerang and shwang0215 like this.
  3. MSNWatch

MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 3, 2016

Did you inherit this from your uncle?

Taddyangle likes this.
  4. HannekeW

HannekeW Sep 3, 2016

no inherited from great grandfathers estate a few years ago. and know nothing about omega's, so your help is appreciated.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  5. GuiltyBoomerang

GuiltyBoomerang Sep 3, 2016

Always good to learn! As it is part of the family having it as a keepsake would be nice. Now you know what a fake looks like, if you want to get a real vintage Omega, read up on the forums here!

HannekeW likes this.
  6. Foo2rama

Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 3, 2016

Perhaps gentleman we should tell him why it's an obvious fake?

7. STANDY

STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 4, 2016

It has all the tell tale signs of a fake , case back stamped on outside, wrong dial writing (script)
    And
    For generations people have tried to con people out of their hard earned money by passing of fake goods, it is nothing new and has been practiced by swindlers for hundreds of years.

noelekal and Foo2rama like this.
  8. al128

al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Sep 4, 2016

Random stuff falling off of it is a indicator...

9. HannekeW

HannekeW Sep 4, 2016

I am very grateful for your responses........and since this is a fake I don't see any reason to keep it. I will remember the family man for who he was. I am trashing this watch and I hope my pictures and your comments will help others from buying fakes and getting ripped off. I am very disappointed to see how people steal from others on Ebay and not even feeling guilty. Does anyone on this site know where I might find Gruen experts, another inherited watch but now I am even more concerned. Was my family so dumb as to pay good money for possibly fake jewelry???

al128 likes this.
  10. STANDY

STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 4, 2016

You can post the Gruen here. Many here have the odd Gruen and may be able to help...

Edit the title of this thread to "Omega and Gruen "

Jwit likes this.
  11. gatorcpa

gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 4, 2016

12. HannekeW

HannekeW Sep 4, 2016

Thank you gatorcpa for this link. I guess even many years ago these were fake, my poor great grandfather. The weird thing though is I scratched the case and did a gold test and it shows 10K, I scratched very deep and it remains gold, why in the world would they make gold backs on a fake. But I am happy I found this site before going to watch repair man. He may have serviced it letting me to believe it was real and I would be out a few hundred dollars. There are a few more watches in the box and I am going to be very careful. Again, thank you all for this new knowledge I have found.

noelekal likes this.
  13. JimInOz

JimInOz "Helpful Hints from Heloise" of bracelet cleaning. Sep 4, 2016

You should fix your photos in the first post, you had the fake Omega and now you have the Gruen. This may confuse some people if the following posts call the watch a fake.

I think the Gruen is genuine. The mark on the back indicates 10 karat Rolled Gold Plate, which is a layer of gold bonded to each side of a steel or brass layer of metal. It's much thicker than electroplating (generally).

While the deep scratch may look like gold, it's more likely to be brass. If you did a scrape gold test on the caseback you probably only sampled the gold plate.

There wouldn't be gold in a fake, except for a thin electoplated layer to look like the real thing.

HannekeW likes this.