Forums Latest Members

Inherited Speedmaster Help - Rusty Bezel

1. dfol13 May 15, 2020

Hi all, I’m new to the forum and hoping you can help assuage some concerns about a Speedmaster I’m supposed to inherit.

A little back story: I have been in love with the Speedmaster for years. Have considered buying one off and on for about 10 years but always had more “responsible” things to do with the money. Recently, I’ve had a renewed interest as I got a job in the space industry after grad school and have been closer to pulling the trigger to buy one.

Then my Great Aunt passed away, leaving her estate to my mother and her brother. Lo and behold my Great Uncle who passed away years earlier owned a Speedmaster that I never saw him wear and it’s been offered to me. I was shocked and very excited to become the new custodian of this watch.

The Help Part: My big concern is that there seems to be some rust on the bezel. I’m curious if that’s an indication that the movement is likely rusted out beyond repair. The will is still in probate so the watch is not in my possession yet and I only have one picture of it. Trying to not get my hopes up before I actually receive it. My assumption is that the watch has been sitting in a drawer for 15-20 years.

Anything else you can tell me about the reference from the picture would be greatly appreciated as well!

940D089D-3D7C-4FD9-849B-FCB58519D5D4.jpeg
    DaveK, Dash1 and RI Omega Fan like this.
  2. abrod520 May 15, 2020

You won't really be able to tell about the movement until you get it to a watchmaker and have him service it. This is something that should be done regardless, as soon as it's in your possession. But the dial doesn't seem to show any rust, so it may not be so bad.

Based on what I can see (not much), I think it's probably a 145.022-74 or -76. The hour and minute hands are incorrect though, from a Speedmaster Mark II. Surely replaced at some long-ago service.

Baz9614, Foo2rama and dfol13 like this.
  3. bags1971 May 15, 2020

looks to me like dirt around the bezel when you get it serviced it will look very nice

omegasaso12, Archer, asrnj77 and 3 others like this.
  4. vbrad26 May 15, 2020

Congrats on the job.
    x3 on the service. Definitely will need it.

dfol13 likes this.
  5. Davidt May 15, 2020

It's not rust on the bezel, it's just grime and dirt.

Could be a lovely watch after a sympathetic service and new hands.

dfol13, RI Omega Fan and apsm100 like this.
  6. dfol13 May 16, 2020

Thanks guys. You’ve definitely assuaged my concerns. I’ll post more pics when it’s in my possession. Will take it in for service immediately

DaveK likes this.
  7. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear May 16, 2020

Curious to see what it looks like after a gentle service. Please do try to source the right tritium hands destined for a Speedmaster Pro, as opposed to the Speedmaster Mark II hands that are on it now. New service hands would also be an option, but as those would come without the nice yellowish hue that the hour markers feature, it would be suboptimal. Correct, vintage ones will make an enormous difference!
    I'm sure you'll (come to) enjoy it!

8. Baz9614 May 16, 2020

I’d suggest that you take it to a watchmaker and NOT an Omega dealer for service! If sent to Omega, they will likely replace the dial with a service dial and that would detract from the watches originality. :thumbsup:

dfol13 likes this.
  9. abrod520 May 17, 2020

Well there are two ways to think about the hands. One, is to replace them and make the watch as original as possible. But the other is to keep it the way your great uncle wore it, with the Mark II hands, even if for a relatively short period. IMO can't go wrong either way, but a set of original tritium hands may be costly.

DaveK likes this.
  10. vbrad26 May 18, 2020

So I had a similar conundrum when inheriting a Seamaster.
    When I first got it, I wanted to make it look brand new again (which is NOT what a lot of people would do).
    I ended up deciding that I wanted to preserve the watch in the condition that I got it. So aside from a movement service, the cosmetics of the watch I decided to leave alone. I wanted to keep it exactly how I received it.
    However.
    The Seamaster was all original, and really was not in that bad of shape.
    Your Speedmaster on the other hand is a slightly different story.
    I think if I were getting the Speedy you are getting, I may just send it to Omega for a full service. (Avoiding the rocks that are being thrown at me)
    For $750, everything will come back working, clean and "correct". Maybe not totally original to the watch, but at least the correct parts.
    And correct me if I'm wrong but does Omega still send back the removed parts? If so, you will still have the original dial that you can keep.
    A lot of the advice you will get on this forum will come from hardcore collectors, not that there is ANYTHING wrong with that advice, in fact I think it is safe to say that is is probably the BETTER advice in most cases, but it is also not for everyone.
    That's just my $0.02.

dfol13 likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 18, 2020

Yes, dial and hands will be retuned, typically tossed into a bag with whatever else they replace and not protected from damage at all...

KingCrouchy and vbrad26 like this.
  12. vbrad26 May 18, 2020

Well that is not ideal. But still better than nothing I suppose...

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 18, 2020

When Omega deems something as scrap, they treat it like scrap. Getting back dial and hands that are damaged from the way they are handling is a real possibility. Just making people aware that although they return them, this is still not without risk...

JanV, Baz9614 and vbrad26 like this.
  14. Eric304 May 21, 2020

I had a bezel like this before. you can try to steam it see it will come off.

15. JanV May 21, 2020

::popcorn::