Forums Latest Members
  1. Nic11 Jul 28, 2019

Hi all, inherited a watch from my father that he got from he’s father due to him being late all the time. This is the 60s or 70s.

I have no more information than that I’m afraid. Tried to take some photos and see if anybody here recognises it. Most likely purchased in Sweden also.

Gratefully looking for any information that can be provided and also if there is somewhere I can restore the watch to former glory.

Thanks!

1FA2E9C5-EBE9-4A1D-B71D-F42A18BA642B.jpeg 2F5D2374-D8E3-47B3-8E92-96A53158B837.jpeg 4D732B50-EA01-435F-B847-556DF73634F9.jpeg 87BA15A6-F9D6-4B8E-9A74-AD98F06F7728.jpeg
  2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 28, 2019

Welcome to OF! IMO, this watch is in its glory days now. Well, better days were had before the case was perhaps polished too many times - loosing its sharpness and becoming rounded on the lugs etc. The dial though, is lovely. If I was buying it I would call it damage ;), if I was selling it I would say it has a stunning patina.

I don’t know the reference # of watch, and I hope that someone with more knowledge will come in to talk about that. Something feels a bit off about the dial, maybe an older redial?

Either way, a great family heirloom. Take it to a watchmaker who appreciates vintage (NOT a mall kiosk) and have it serviced, expect apx $150ish for this depending on any needed parts, and where you live. Let us know what town you are in if you need recommendations for a watchmaker. The watchmaker can open the back and you can then get some movement photos and case back photos. With those, you can look up what the watch originally looked like.

To many folks, I imagine, this watch looks appealing as it is. I would not invest any money in refurbishing, just the needed service and likely a nice leather strap. Enjoy wearing it and the memories!

3. ConElPueblo Jul 28, 2019

Hejsa!

Your watch is a reference 2639 and is probably the most common vintage Omega in Sweden :)

That is not a bad thing - it is a vintage watch that is robust, of a good size and with a movement that is very capable.

Welcome aboard OF.

DaveK likes this.
  4. Nic11 Jul 28, 2019

Hi Dave! Thank you for welcoming me and your insight. I interviewed my dad again and the time period was wrong. Apparently my grandfather got it 55 on his 50th birthday, probably in Swiss. He was there with the Swedish army and he’s pals in the same infantry gave it to him.

I love it as it is too, except the strap as you mentioned. I was not a fan of the cut in the glass at first but it grows on me.

My dad got it in the early 70s and after that no redial has been done. So it must have been done before that. He used it all the time when he worked in a factory so therefore the bruises. Until one day a watchmaker he met told him that it was probably worth a lot. Since then he used it on special occasions.

Yes! That’s what I would like to do, it works perfectly fine but to open it and as you say, be able to see how it looked originally. Also do any service that might be needed. I live in Umea, Sweden but anywhere in Sweden will work I just have to go when I got time.

Thank you again for your reply!

5. Nic11 Jul 28, 2019

Thank you! No, that does not really matter to me, I would still cherish it if it was the most common in the world But it’s fun to know! Thank you again!

6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jul 28, 2019

I don’t think that watch has been polished much, if at all.

Tom

Nic11 likes this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 28, 2019

Disagree. I think dial is original, but it is badly damaged by a combination of age to the lacquer, nicotine from smoke, water intrusion, and radiation damage from radium.

Only way to improve the looks would be to find another non-working watch with a better dial, or take your chances on a redial.
    gatorcpa

Nic11 likes this.
  8. wagudc Jul 28, 2019

This watch has been well loved. I would keep it that way. Don't mess with the dial or anything else cosmetic. Finding a strap that you ( @Nic11 ) like and getting the movement serviced is all it needs.

Nic11 likes this.
  9. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 29, 2019

Glad that you got lots of help here. Just pulling this forward, are you still looking for a recommendation for a watchmaker “in Umea, Sweden or anywhere in Sweden”? I have no idea, but perhaps someone here might

Nic11 likes this.
  10. Nic11 Jul 30, 2019

You are absolutely correct. My family uses stuff without much consideration, it’s even a wonder this watch still exists.

11. Nic11 Jul 30, 2019

That’s what I’m intending to do, maybe it’s surprising but the movement is actually on point, just turn it up and it goes as smooth as new.

wagudc likes this.
  12. Nic11 Jul 30, 2019

Thank you! And you are absolutely right about the damage, it’s been used in every kind of environment possible.

I don’t really want to fix it, it has more value to me like this. But I learned a lot by asking and I’m grateful!