Inherited Omega Seamaster - best place to sell?

Good evening all,

Apologies for the crass title but I have inherited a watch that is unsuitable for me. It is an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra in Sedna gold on Steel, the smaller 39.5mm bezel. Worn a few times and includes original boxes / certificate / purchase receipt / links etc.

I would like to either sell the watch or trade for a larger bezel equivalent Omega - but the preference is a straight sale.

I am new to higher-end watches so not sure what the best course of action is regarding private sale / taking to a jewellers etc.

Am happy to provide additional details. I am in the United Kingdom and have attached a current picture.

All the best,

Joseph Headd

Hi Joe. eBay is your best bet to sell a watch privately if you don’t have any prior experience or network. You could also take it into a jeweler (watch dealer) and see if they would be interested in trading for something else that would suit you.

Best of luck.

Ebay would be the best, going to jewellery or watch dealer might decrease your trading / sale value, as they of course want to buy cheap

That's not too offensive, indeed it's quite tasteful....have you tried it for a while to see if it grows on you?
I ask, as you say your interested in a watch that is pretty well much the same as the one you have, and it would be a lot less bother and most likely expense to stick with what you've got.
Edited:

Thanks guys, seems that eBay is the recommendation, I'm just wary of posting a valuable item with the pervalence of scams etc - I'll have a think.

The issue with keeping the watch is that the bracelet would be too small I think even with the two links that had been removed replaced. Does anyone know if Omega offer singular links for this bracelet? (I think it has 19mm wide links)

Thanks again,

Joe
Edited:

You should be able to walk into any Omega boutique and buy individual links for it- it’s a very recent model. Or you could put it on leather/croc (not from omega- they are stupidly priced) and it would take on an entirely different personality.
You may be able to buy an omega buckle and put it on any strap of your choice to complete the look- just need to make sure the taper of the strap is correct from lugs to buckle

May I suggest you find an alternative watch you like, and then work out a trade. There are many AD’s that have both new and second-hand stock that you might be able to work with. That’s a lovely watch, but if you’re not going to wear it and sentimental value isn’t enough. Bear in mind the watch business is a little choppy right now!

If you do decide to trade/swop a friend of mine bought used from Watches of Bath and had a good experience. They buy & sell and would probably px. They are shut for a few days atm but reopen at the end of the month.
I have no affiliation with them.

Thanks guys, seems that eBay is the recommendation, I'm just wary of posting a valuable item with the pervalence of scams etc - I'll have a think.

The issue with keeping the watch is that the bracelet would be too small I think even with the two links that had been removed replaced. Does anyone know if Omega offer singular links for this bracelet? (I think it has 19mm wide links)

Thanks again,

Joe
You can go to a boutique and have the bracelet resized. That’s a lot easier than putting up with the nonsense e bay will toss at you.

A couple of suggestions. First, Chrono24 is a much safer place to sell than eBay and they will charge you 6.5% commission which is substantially less than eBay. Second, you might also consider trying to have a watch dealer sell the watch for you on consignment. In the UK, I would recommend James Kibble at Kibble Watches in London. He has an excellent reputation and will be candid with you about whether he thinks that he can sell the watch, what he thinks that he can get for it, and how much he'll charge you for his commission.

Thank you to the last few comments.

I am not comfortable with selling the watch on eBay - although I have an account in good stead there the shennanigans are often and tiresome! I'll take it in to the place it was bought from for a quote to resize the bracelet and also check James Kibble to see if he offers a sensible value.

Thanks again,

Joe

Good luck to you, Joe!
Find a nice Omega and come back and join us.

Thank you to the last few comments.

I am not comfortable with selling the watch on eBay - although I have an account in good stead there the shennanigans are often and tiresome! I'll take it in to the place it was bought from for a quote to resize the bracelet and also check James Kibble to see if he offers a sensible value.

Thanks again,

Joe
They shouldn’t charge you to resize- only if you need to purchase a link (which shouldn’t be that expensive). Most reputable dealers can do this in their workshop while you use the bathroom.

I think Chrono24 is a good place too and sellers are usually much more honest compared to eBay btw. eBay is the realm of shitty sellers. I've bought my two LMs with wrong dials on eBay... but I've also bought good legit KS there.

I think there's a big risk of the buyer swapping the watch or just claiming it doesn't work if it's eBay. In any case if you sell online - make a video showing the watch run and then packing it and taping the box. And another one when the shipping company accepts the package. This way you can protect yourself to some degree.

eBay however would always side with the buyer, even if he's a nutjob/scammer.