Forums Latest Members
  1. gberg Nov 13, 2017

My father has been cleaning out his place, and found his dad's Omega, which was boxed up for a long time. He doesn't care for watches, and gave it to me. I like watches, and I wish I knew more about them, but I frankly don't. I was wondering if anyone here had some advice, or knows more about this particular piece.

I understand servicing costs can be quite high for an old watch. From my brief search, Shane Ede has great reviews. I'm located in Toronto, but if anyone has other recommendations, I'm welcome to hear it!

Thank you all for your time. It is much appreciated.

Omega.jpg
    dan7800 likes this.
  2. dan7800 Nov 13, 2017

Interesting watch. Do you have more photos (closer to the dial, along with the back and side)

Great looking watch and you seem to have the right idea as far as servicing. Go with someone good and reputable to do the job right.

Also welcome to the board!

3. gberg Nov 13, 2017

Thanks for the quick response! Let me know if you need any other photos, or for me to retake one.

Are there any tips you recommend on servicing? From what I've read, if possible, keep everything original (although I don't know if parts have been replaced already)

omega1.jpg omega2.jpg omega3.jpg
  4. dan7800 Nov 13, 2017

Hmm my newb eyes don't have a clue as for the model. As for servicing, find someone really good only replace "service" parts (internal mechanisms and so far) and have them keep the dial.

The band is aftermarket and basically worthless as far as monetary value.

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 13, 2017

Service movement only. Polish crystal only if neeed.

dan7800 likes this.
  6. jimmyd13 Nov 13, 2017

That will clean up beautifully. Everything you need to know about the watch will be on the caseback.

noelekal, dan7800 and Larry S like this.
  7. dan7800 Nov 13, 2017

I am interested to learn more about this model myself :)

8. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Nov 13, 2017

That caseback is certainly unusual. Could it be a close relative of this?

9. fjf Nov 13, 2017

10. dan7800 Nov 13, 2017

No expert here, but the red seconds hand looks different to me.

11. TropicConnie Nov 13, 2017

I understand it's a part of the watch's history, but I'd advise you to take it off that band, they damage lugs over time. On thin brown leather it will look wonderful.

The dial has been (rather poorly) refinished - possibly a long time ago. Notice how the cross hairs don't line up. If you can, I'd look for a high quality restorer who can do a proper job. In general we advise against refinishing a dial, but in this case where the dial has already been done once, another time won't hurt the value and if they do a better job than the first, it will likely improve the value slightly.

12. Bumper Nov 13, 2017

It's your Granddad's watch, if it were mine, i'd have it serviced & keep it as it is.
    It developed that patina over a lifetime of use, the good & bad days at work, the birthday celebrations, carrying his kid for the first time... every day added a bit to the dial.

Hard to say more about the watch unless you open it up & take pics of the inside caseback & movement, but it looks like it could be a cal 28X.

McKinley likes this.