Forums Latest Members

Inherited Gold Omega Seamaster - Looking for Pricing Guidance and History

1. Zombieno Oct 25, 2016

Just inherited this watch. My great uncle bought it for my Dad after a business deal sometime in the 1980's. It's sat in a plastic bag ever since. I took it to an Omega store, the associates were amazed at it's condition.

Please let me know your thoughts on value, history and any interesting facts about this watch that you know of.
    IMG_2912.JPG IMG_2912.JPG IMG_2913.JPG

IMG_2911.JPG
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 25, 2016

Is the caseback gold or steel?

3. Zombieno Oct 25, 2016

It's gold. Folks at the store say it's 18 karat.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 25, 2016

Hi, I'm the one you were talking to by email, pricing wise these don't tend to be very valuable, I'm guessing its gold plated or gold filled rather than solid gold given the era and type of watch in which case likely a couple to a few hundred dollars would be the value, if gold then gold weight would be about the value with maybe a bit on top (say, melt value + 10% or something). This is just due to the fact that this era of Omega are not very popular nor is quartz (most people prefer mechanical).

As a family heirloom its pretty cool as a result and the condition makes it a great thing to keep and wear but realistically few buyers will be willing to stump up solid gold money for that type of Omega and most dealers will look to buy it under gold weight so they can scrap it if they can't find a buyer which is a sad thing but tends to be the case with 80s quartz.

Jwit and Foo2rama like this.
  5. Zombieno Oct 25, 2016

If it were a mechanical rather than a quartz, would that make a big difference?

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 25, 2016

Yes.

tpatta likes this.
  7. ConElPueblo Oct 25, 2016

Could you take a few photos of the rear of the watch? Especially ones were the back of the lugs are visible? Also some photos of the clasp in open setting - hallmarks are probably there.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 25, 2016

Its an enormous difference as mechanical is where all of the money and desire is, in the 80s your grandfather couldn't have known that would happen, Quartz came along and started to take over such that it appeared those watches would be the future, it wasn't until later that the love of mechanical really soared through the 90s and 00s into today.

If it were a gold 60s Constellation Deluxe automatic in similar condition with bracelet the value would be over 5 figures as those models are highly desirable.

Foo2rama and Jwit like this.