Forums Latest Members
  1. cyberdoggie Sep 5, 2013

I am new convert to vintage watches. This was my dad's watch. I would be interested to know what it is and when approx it was made? Any links to somewhere I could read about it would be great. My Google searching has turned up Omega 166.041 as something associated with this watch but am not sure what that means. Any insights would be appreciated. What's the scoop on this model? Reliable? Affordable? I plan to have it restored...

Thx!

Mark

wtch omega.jpg

2. ulackfocus Sep 5, 2013

Welcome!

Late 60's / very early 70's. Usually a nice solid automatic movement inside from the 56x series.

cyberdoggie likes this.
  3. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 5, 2013

Really nice color combinations on this line.
    The Geneve line was considered to be an entry level watch by Omega during this period. Nonetheless they housed some of the finest movements made Omega.

cyberdoggie likes this.
  4. CdnWatchDoc Sep 5, 2013

My advice (FWIW): Looks to be in great shape; get it serviced, but don't polish the case or redial. Then you not only have a great vintage watch, but you have a wonderful piece that you can look after and use until you pass it along to your own children. Or...if you really don't want it, I would be more than happy to take it off your hands (wrist?). :) :)

5. cyberdoggie Sep 5, 2013

CdnWatchDoc? Why wouldn't i polish the case? I agree that the dial is in great shape but the case is hammered to my eye...

Dablitzer likes this.
  6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 5, 2013

Hardcore collector values originality above else. If you polished your watch its value diminish to their eyes hence also your watch market value.
    If you plan to wear it (and not plan resell it for long time) then lightly polishing the case is fine. If it got too much polished then it will significantly reduce its value to the point considered as damaged item.

cyberdoggie likes this.
  7. Habitant Sep 6, 2013

]cyberdoggie, what the folks are saying is that when 'people' polish cases in the watch business, most of them use powerful buffing machines which buff out the original shape, smooth out/take off the sharp profile edges, that sort of thing. These details really matter to watch collectors. The end result is that the case looks good to the general public, but is ruined to the purist or collector's eye, and would severely reduce the value of the watch.

There are sensitive and wise watchmakers out there - some of them participate to this forum (CdnWatchDoc, for example) - who could/would carefully and lightly polish a case like this, but the more usual, well-intentioned but heavy-handed local jeweller would be more likely to go way too far (as Privateday7 says...) and then it's too late, so members here are rightly trying to steer you away from messing up the case.

The numbers you mention (166.041) are the model numbers. A while back, Omega changed their archive system and so this would now be written as 166.0041. They have an awesome online archive of their models and here is a link to yours: http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=14369
    That page will tell you when the watch was made and so on; a key detail is where it says "Caliber number: 565" - that's the model number of the watch works inside the case.

Nice watch, by the way. I, too, inherited my father's watch (a Birks Eterna Matic, to connect this to another thread) and it got me drawn into the world of vintage watches. It's a constant and much cherished daily reminder of a great man.

cyberdoggie likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Sep 6, 2013

Polishing the case would be removing the traces of your father from the watch. He put the dings and scratches in it. Not only that, original is MUCH better than refinished whether it's a dial or case. Once you have it done you can't have it undone.

That being said, it is your watch now so it's your decision. Find somebody decent who knows how to restore it close to original specs.

UncleBuck, Tritium and cyberdoggie like this.
  9. cyberdoggie Sep 6, 2013

Thank you for the advice!

Interesting commentary about the case polishing. As an antique lover I relate to how the value is diminished when someone polished off the tarnish of a 100 year old vase and has removed all of the patina. Something can only be original once...Somehow I didn't make this same association with watches...

Hmm. Wish I'd been on this forum a month ago when I decided to get the case and band of the first (and only) vintage watch that I bought myself, totally redone. Wonder why no one in the Rolex forums warned me off any cosmetic refurbishing? I appreciate the advice. Is it ok if I get the crystal replaced on the Omega? Do collectors mind a replacement there?

Well maybe since i don't plan to sell it, by the time my kids inherit it, my Rolex watch will have patina all over again! :)

DSCN9171.JPG

10. ulackfocus Sep 6, 2013

That's a nice looking Rolex. :thumbsup:

You could replace the crystal with an OEM Omega one that has the Ω logo, or simply have the original one polished. It's a plastic / acrylic material called Hesalite and can be buffed to a smooth & clear finish again.

cyberdoggie likes this.
  11. John R Smith Sep 6, 2013

Nobody seems to mind replacement crystals and crowns, they are regarded as wearing parts which get replaced anyhow. And strangely, nobody seems to object to refinished brushed stainless cases, in fact having them re-done seems to be desirable. There is quite a bit of strange anti-logic around the whole business, just as there is in classic cars or historic buildings. I wouldn't lose any sleep over your Rolex, it looks great to me ;)

citizenrich and cyberdoggie like this.
  12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 6, 2013

The Rolex looks like it was done by someone who knew what they were doing, edges sharp. Couple of scratches and it will look pristine :D

Tritium, citizenrich and cyberdoggie like this.
  13. cyberdoggie Sep 6, 2013

lol! good to know. thx all!

14. Hijak Sep 6, 2013

I'm not usually a fan of Rolex but that is one nice looking Rolex you have there Cyberdoggie!:thumbsup:

15. cyberdoggie Sep 6, 2013

Thx Hijak - I am not a fan of Rolex either typically. But this one is sufficiently Omega-like! :) I think I was attracted to this one since it reminded me of my dad's watch. (before I actually got my dad's watch!)

16. Hijak Sep 6, 2013

Love that waffle style dial!:thumbsup: Also love the way the crown sort of hides into the case a bit. Just a sharp and classy watch::love::...

17. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Sep 6, 2013

I read the hiding crown bit and had to look again. Wow! I've never seen a Rolex case with recessed crown and lugs like that! Is it original? Maybe a different "line?" like, not Oyster but Cellini or something?

18. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 6, 2013

Mark

The thing about polishing cases is all about retaining the angles and edges to maintain the shape of the case. To collectors, everything has to be as it was when it left the manufacture. There is a whole different class of vintage watch buyers who just want something that looks shiny and "as new". Regrettably, these latter buyers neither know better or care less about the value of originality.

Let's face it, people originally bought the watches to wear and it is inevitable that over a period of time, they will pick up scratches and "dings". A sympathetic touching up of the case is a relatively new thing so as a collector, you are better off with something that the owner has not paid extra at a service, to have cosmetically enhanced.

19. cyberdoggie Sep 6, 2013

Time exposure - yes it's original. It's a 1956 Rolex Model 9083. They were made this way. Guessing it fit into the lineup as a watch sportier than the leather band ones but less so than the chunkier watches of the time. These streamlined features (band, crown) are what sold me on the design.

Stewart - Thanks again for the warning not to ruin the historic value of the watch. I drive old cars. While everyone loves a low mileage original paint car, I personally believe that beautiful old things should be used. And when the paint gets too faded and blistered, the best thing you can do is a lovingly done respray to bring back it's original beauty. The lines of the car were designed to show best when the car rolled off the showroom floor and not with 40 years of wear an tarnish. I keep my chrome clean and my paint waxed and will repaint when needed. I wouldn't characterize myself who doesn't care about the value of originality. (Maybe that's why I still suffer and listen to a 40 year am fm radio that's original to the car!) :)

20. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 6, 2013

To use the car analogy, it is the difference between a bare metal re-spray and touching up to original paint with a modern two-pack paint.