Forums Latest Members

Inherited An Omega Speedmaster Professional From Father.

1. Nathan Mar 30, 2013

Everyone,

Hello & glad I found this site! My father purchased this Omega Speedmaster Professional during the Vietnam war. Not sure what happened to the band. It doesn't currently run. The wife of a coworker checked it out and she says these things were found and this is what it needs:

Found: Light Rust
    Needs: Cleaned & Oiled, Regulated, New Crown, New Gaskets, New Dial ("dial ft broken off" (I think this is what her writing says but I can't tell what that means)).

She recommended I send to an Omega service center. I've emailed Omega and their complete service starts at $710. From what I've read here it seems like their full service may actually reduce any perceived value due to polishing and other services performed. I don't mind it looking used, since it does have a history.

I certainly want to purchase an original vintage metal band as well. What should I do? Can you recommend someone in the Seattle area to get it up to speed and running? Or is it worth spending the $710?

Thanks.

photo.JPG photo.JPG
  2. Sherbie Mar 31, 2013

Firstly, welcome to the forum

I wouldnt do anything rash for now. First step would be to take this into a local watchmaker, and let him/her take an expert look. Please take some photos whilst they are doing that of the movement ( making sure you get the caliber number - likely to be a 861, and the serial number ( 8 digit number). From the later, you can date the watch quite accurately.

Let them comment on the movement condition, and the dial foot. This should only cost $20 or so.
    Then report back and post pictures.

Either way, dont let them polish the case, or change the dial or hands etc.

The real experts on the forum will chime in later, and give their opinion - but you have a really nice watch their (lurking under years of grime and neglect, and a battered crystal) that should, with a little tlc, become a family heirloom for decades to come

cheers, Paul

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 31, 2013

dial feet can be fixed, I'd not replace that dial at all

4. Nathan Mar 31, 2013

Thanks. Can anyone recommend a watchmaker in Seattle? Or will any old one do for this step in the process?

5. ulackfocus Mar 31, 2013

Does Nesbit's still do Omega work?

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 31, 2013

For this I would contact Al Archer. Archer , member here. You can send him the watch and he will do a respectful repair and condition.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 31, 2013

They are certainly another choice, I believe they still work on Omega but are no longer an official Omega center.

8. MyVintageOmega Mar 31, 2013

Nice keeper........welcome to the forum.

9. Nathan Mar 31, 2013

I've messaged Archer to ask his opinion. I read his blog and the work he does is amazing. Hopefully he'll respond.

Nesbit's Fine Watch Repair seems like a good option. I could easily drop the watch off there and have the benefit of having someone local.

What's your opinion on having the crystal polished vs not? Seems everyone thinks having the case polished is a bad idea. I guess it takes away from the "vintage" aspect of it. But it would make it such a much nicer looking piece...

10. Sherbie Apr 1, 2013

Crystal polished or replaced even is OK. Case polished is frowned upon, and seriously decreases value of the watch, if you ever decide to sell it later.

But it's your watch, so you can decide

11. jwalther Apr 1, 2013

I have sent a number of watches to Nesbit's for service, and they never disappoint. My Speedy is on it's way to Al at present, so I say you can't make a bad choice.

12. Nathan Apr 2, 2013

I dropped it off at Nesbit's today. Looked pretty clean inside other than the seals.

861 Movement
    S/N 30392799
    Case # 145022-69

image.jpg
    Etp095 likes this.
  13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 2, 2013

After its been serviced it'll be spot on again, these watches have lifespans measured in centuries rather than decades so as long as you take care of it, it'll be passed down again a few times eventually.

14. Nathan Apr 2, 2013

Anybody know the best way to get a metal band from 1969 for one of these?

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 2, 2013

The original 1039 bracelet for these is very expensive and fairly flimsy, you don't want one for daily use as its just too fragile to risk. The 1171 bracelet is the correct replacement for the 1039 and while light, it's very strong, reliable, and affordable. Expect around $300 for one.

16. Nathan Apr 4, 2013

Nesbit's confims the dial feet are broken. They recommend a new dial since they are unable to fix it. They feel that hot solder may negatively affect the front of the dial and cold solder won't hold it firmly enough.

That plus the service and a new band and I'm over $1000 to get this watch up and working... Although my dad says he only paid about $100 for it on the base PX in 1969...