Forums Latest Members
  1. swidm Feb 3, 2014

I just inherited an Omega Constellation from my grandfather Hugh Looney (great uncle but took the place of the grandfather I never knew). I would like to learn more about this particular watch both for my own edification and insurance purposes. I have worn the watch during the day for the past 3 days and it has kept excellent time. I haven't opened the back because I do not have the right tools and do not want to scratch the case. The attachment points for the band seem a bit bent and I am wondering if this is something I should get fixed. Looking on the web, this seems fairly standard for these watches. Also, I am wondering if this watch is all gold or plated? I believe a watch should be worn and enjoyed so I am planning to use this watch for work (office job) and was wondering if there are some things I should have checked.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ulackfocus Feb 3, 2014

You have a gold capped (thick layer of gold over stainless steel) 1960's Constellation on a Beads of Rice bracelet. If the bracelet is original to the watch, it's probably a later model. Judging by the T after SWISS MADE, it's most likely a post 1962 model with a reference number of 168.005 and has either a caliber 561 or 564 inside.

DEFINITELY have a good watchmaker service it. The old lubricants have undoubtably dried up and need to be cleaned out, then the mechanism is reoiled. You don't want to ruin a fabulous heirloom like that.

Hardy likes this.
  3. swidm Feb 3, 2014

Date makes sense given the engraving says June 14, 1966. I have done an online search in NW Atlanta, GA for a good repair shop and am at a bit of a loss given the reviews I have read. The obvious choice is www.bestoftime.com because they specifically mention Omega but I am wary given some of the reviews I have read (don't know if posted by competitors or not). Any suggestions on finding a reputable watch repair shop?

4. ulackfocus Feb 3, 2014

Womble Watch does some nice work, specifically with Omega. We have a few members, and I have a few friends in down south, that have used them with great results.

Don't change any parts, just have it serviced and cleaned up.

5. swidm Feb 3, 2014

I found a place that looks better on the surface http://www.swisswatchandclock.com/. Question is how much should the basic maintenance you suggest cost? Just need a ballpark.

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 3, 2014

$150-200 without the cost of parts.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 3, 2014

By parts Dennis especially means the dial, hands, and externals, . If they say the crown needs to be replaced, save the old one and keep it in the watch box. It is OK to replace parts of the movement if they are broken, but do not replace the movement with a different one, it is the watch.

It is OK to polish out any scratches on the crystal, but not the case.

The case lugs are gold filled, the bezel (surrounding the crystal) is 14k gold. The bracelet is gold plated and largely worn as you can see.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 3, 2014

I would take Womble by far over the place you found.

9. swidm Feb 3, 2014

Womble said $900 for servicing the watch.

10. swidm Feb 3, 2014

Should mention there are no scratches on the crystal, the crown works fine for setting the watch, it has been keeping excellent time, and the band doesn't have any worn spots showing nice solid gold on inside and outside. Will try and look among my uncle's papers in case he had it serviced recently. I am happy to spend $150 but at $900 I might just take the risk.

11. Dablitzer Feb 3, 2014

Just some observations: The dial looks very nice, it has the more uncommon number marker configuration. I would say I have seen far less of these than marker only variations. Case is fairly sharp, has been polished a little in the past. The watch also may have been serviced in the past since the crown looks like an updated version. Also, nice to have the box and bracelet included. I would spend around £150-£200 depending on parts needed etc. Prices can vary a lot, preference would be a little independent watchmaker. To add the cherry, your Great Uncle had exceptional taste! :thumbsup:

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 3, 2014

Ok, that is out of line.

13. ulackfocus Feb 3, 2014

Holy fecking sheeyat! :eek:

Do you mind mailing the watch? We have some excellent watchmakers as members here - one in NJ (Steve / N2FHL and Al / Archer).

14. swidm Feb 3, 2014

Not really wanting to mail the watch given experiences with all postal services. I could insure it but that wouldn't replace the value of this watch should it get lost. I am looking through my uncle's paper to see if the watch was serviced in the recent past. How recent is recent enough when it comes to service?

15. ulackfocus Feb 3, 2014

You should have a watch serviced every 6 or 7 years under normal circumstances.

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 3, 2014

Use USPS Priority Mail with tracking. You can "watch" the progress from the internet and know when the item was received at the destination. In fact, you can even set have them send you e-mail updates at every step of the process. I've sent and received several hundred packages this way, with no problems. Just make sure that whoever you send it to returns it to you the same way.

Insurance is pretty much useless with any delivery service, since the limits on jewelry and watches is much lower than advertised. And you can't insure sentimental value.

Frankly, I think the risk of having a bad local watchmaker screw up the project are greater than sending it to the right person and having it lost in the mail.

At least here in the USA.
    gatorcpa

17. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 3, 2014

I half agree with gator. I've sent and received numerous watches overseas, including to Steve / N2FHL, that Dennis recommended. However, when it came to a sentimental watch, I ended up going local.....