Forums Latest Members

Inherited an Omega Constellation from my grandpa, and would love to learn more about it.

1. cmfossum Nov 7, 2013

Hi!

My grandfather passed away recently, and my grandmother wanted me to have his old Omega. She couldn't tell me anything about it except it was a very expensive watch for a cab driver to buy back in the day. It was a dear possession to him. Would love to have it fixed up and wear it for special occasions. I think it's a beautiful and simple watch, and i like it a lot!

It seems to be in quite good shape, except for two small broken links in the chain and scratches on the glass. It started running as soon as i picked it out of the box and shook it a little :) And it's in need of a good cleaning i guess ;)

I would like to know if this is a watch that is worth putting some money into getting in tip top condition, or if i should just keep it as is. If it has any real value i would like to make shure it keeps well for my kids one day. If it has no particular value, I'll clean it up and wear it for my own pleasure :)

Can anyone tell me the exact model, year, style, carat and maybe value?

You can see the two cracked links on different pictures. One on the top on the left side on the face picture, and the gap on the picture from the side.

Hope you guys can help me out :)

Best regards,
    Carl

View attachment 31968 IMG_2546.jpg
    View attachment 31969 View attachment 31967

IMG_2551.jpg IMG_2550.JPG IMG_2552.jpg
  2. cmfossum Nov 7, 2013

Wooow those pictures turned out big! And I typoed the model.. Great start Carl, great start ;)

RocketBoySweden likes this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 7, 2013

Its a 60s C-Case Constellation, with a 5xx series movement in it, which is quite a good one, what area are you in, we might have a watchmaker we could refer you to

4. ulackfocus Nov 7, 2013

Hi Carl.

To be more specific, it's a 168.017 with a caliber 564 from the mid to late 60's. I see the sunburst pattern is still on the bezel - that's very good. The date should change if you pull / push the crown in & out. Yes, have it cleaned / oiled / adjusted, and the crystal polished (don't change it!)

If it's solid gold it's 18ct. Don't know of many 14ct C-cased Constellations if any. The hallmarks will be inside the case back and on the clasp of the bracelet.

cmfossum likes this.
  5. cmfossum Nov 7, 2013

The only thing i could find on the clasp, was the number "583". And yes, the date changed perfectly! It seems mechanically in good shape. Very neat and easy to adjust time and date.

Would you have any idea of a value? And would it be worth getting the links fixed as well?

6. cmfossum Nov 7, 2013

I live in Oslo, Norway ;) I'll be very very impressed if anyone has intimate knowledge of a good watchmaker here :D

7. ulackfocus Nov 7, 2013

If it's solid gold it's definitely worth getting the bracelet fixed. Basing this on being an all 18ct watch it's easily a $4000 piece even in the raw condition it is now. Properly repaired and restored, it would sell for $5000 at the minimum due to the value of the gold in it. It's got at least $3200 of scrap value in total depending on how much the bracelet weighs.

I'd say it's worth getting fixed no matter what since it's an heirloom.

8. Tritium Nov 7, 2013

+1

9. CdnWatchDoc Nov 7, 2013

+2

10. RocketBoySweden Nov 8, 2013

+3

11. Mothra Nov 8, 2013

+ 1 billion. Mwah ha ha ha....

12. Habitant Nov 8, 2013

Our Customer Service Team is working on your request right now! Omega Forums wants you to know that we value your business, but you may experience some delay in our response. This is to to unprecedented caller volume. Please be patient, one of our experts will be with your shortly.
    Omega Forums wants you to know that we value your business...
    :)

cmfossum, John R Smith and trev like this.
  13. cmfossum Nov 9, 2013

+4

Well, slapp me silly... i had no idea it would be worth that! I was thinking somewhere around 500-1000$ and if it was worth 1000$ i would fix it, if it was worth 500 i would just clean it. That value really took me by surprise.. holy shit. My grandpa used to wear it every day.

Now i am absolutely getting it fixed and in top shape. Might not even dare to wear it, save for the most special occasions!

This is really awesome! You always see the importance of "The heirloom watch" in movies or in books, but I never felt it before. Now i do. It's already 50 years old, and when i give it to my son or grandson one day it's gonna be 100 years or more :) That's a very cool thing :)

Thanx for the info!

SpikiSpikester, Stewart H and Tritium like this.
  14. Tritium Nov 9, 2013

Nice to see you're keeping it with you :)
    Wait until someone recommend you a good watchmaker in your area. By now take in mind that you shouldn't polish the case, as all this marks are part of your grandpa history. And of course don't touch the dial.

marturx likes this.
  15. ulackfocus Nov 9, 2013

When you take it to a watchmaker, check to see if the inside of the case back shows the 18ct (.750) marking. If it does, get it straightened out but don't let them polish the edges off the case or the sunburst pattern off the bezel.

16. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Nov 9, 2013

Congratulations Carl. This is a really nice story.

We get so many people come along and say "My Grandad has finally kicked the bucket and all I got was this watch. How much can I sell it for?" It is great to see someone who was planning to keep the watch anyway and with this attitude, I am genuinely pleased for you to find out that it is potentially something special.:thumbsup:

Just remember to raise a glass to your Grandad on those special occasions when you do wear it and perhaps buy your Gran some flowers to say "thank you".

SpikiSpikester likes this.