Forums Latest Members
  1. ImDobbsy Sep 28, 2015

Hi, brand new to the forum.

Recently my Grandmother passed away, a few of her belonging have been passed onto my mother; one of these is a vintage watch bearing the Omega name on the face. It was purchased sometime in the late 50's / early 60's somewhere down the east coast of America (no idea if that's when it was made).

As you can see on the pictures there are no identifying marks on the case back or inside (to the level that im comfortable dissembling something like this!!) and it's in pretty bad shape.

I've spent a good bit of time trawling through internet picture galleries and vintage watch sites but i'm really struggling to find anything that looks even remotely like this watch.

Any help in identifying if it is an Omega, what model it is, how old it is or even where to ask or look next would be very much appreciated.
    Watch 1.JPG Watch 2.JPG Watch 3.JPG
    Watch 4.JPG

N.B. If the consensus is that it's an imitation then i'm ok with that too, we'd just really like to know a little bit more about it

Thanks

Chris

Edited Sep 28, 2015
    noelekal likes this.
  2. DON Sep 28, 2015

Could be 1940's and nobody bothers to fake a watch like this

Model - no idea. Back then. Omega didn't give names to watches like this.

I would suggest checking Ebay to see if anything pops up.

DON

ImDobbsy likes this.
  3. Canuck Sep 28, 2015

I'd suggest it is older than you think! I would suggest likely early 1940s. But to tell you more, we really need to see the "works", and an image of any stampings inside the case back. I think it is an Omega, but we need to see more to be certain.

ImDobbsy likes this.
  4. ImDobbsy Sep 28, 2015

Thanks for help so far

A colleague with far steadier hands (and the appropriate tools) opened it up.

Here's the shot of the inside of the case back and movement.
    Watch 5.JPG

Thanks again for the replies, much appreciated.

noelekal likes this.
  5. Canuck Sep 28, 2015

If the serial number I am seeing begins in the 10xxxxxx range as it think it does, the chart I am referring to says circa 1945-46. The case is 14 karat gold. The movement appears to be a calibre 210 which also indicates circa 1946. It is the real thing! The bracelet is a more modern, gold plated replacement. The watch likely was originally sold with a black nylon or rayon cord style of bracelet.

noelekal and ImDobbsy like this.
  6. ImDobbsy Sep 28, 2015

Yes you're correct. It reads 10438003,

Wow! that's significantly older than we though. Nice to know a little bit more about it.

Thanks again

Chris

7. Willem023 Sep 28, 2015

Omega letters and logo seem way out off centre. Redail??
    Also too big in relation to rest of the dial IMHO?
    Is the Omega logo in back correct.
    Any suggestions?

8. Canuck Sep 28, 2015

The watch is ~ 70 years old! Chances are the dial has been refinished. Everything else about it looks kosher to me! Are you questioning that?

9. Willem023 Sep 28, 2015

Well :whistling:
    I do not know anything about kosher yes or no, but even when the dial has been redone, I expect some care will be taken to do it in a nice manner. This looks like a quick job or maybe the dial is not original Omega?
    Just asking questions based on the photos posted :)
    But for what it is worth, the watch might be too small to tamper with too much?