Forums Latest Members

Inherited a Vintage Omega from Grandpa....Damaged and repair too costly

1. Bhavin Nov 9, 2013

Hello All....I recently found an Omega that belonged to my grandfather a few months ago in his drawer as we were cleaning up. This after almost 20 years after his demise.

The watch seems to be a manual winding watch and is in not a very good condition. Time can be kept when its wound but its about 2.5 - 3 minutes back from my stopwatch (Perhaps not too bad for a very old watch). Haven't really tested it to see how long it takes before it stops working. Rough estimate from the info that I received is the watch has to be at least 45-50 years old.Grandfather was wearing it in the 60's or so.

I sent the watch to Omega service center in Malaysia to get more details as I could not determine the model or anything of the watch. Omega in Malaysia could not determine this as well and recommended to send this watch to Switzerland for checks to determine what's wrong and what needs maintenance.

After about a month, this is what they found :-

1. The watch needs a full maintenance service
    2. The lubrication is dry, which means that the watch’s function cannot be guaranteed
    3. The movement shows signs of dampness having penetrated it
    4. The dial is stained
    5. The dial is oxidized
    6. The hands are damaged
    7. The dial could remain in its current condition
    8. The case is corroded
    9. The case is scratched/shows signs of wear and tear
    10. The attachment fixing the bracelet to the case are worn
    11. To ensure water resistant , the case must be replaced
    12. The case back is scratched
    13. The case back is corroded
    14. The case back exchange is not necessary
    15. The crystal is scratched
    16. The bracelet is not of our manufacture and therefore no intervention will be carried out
    17. The bracelet shows signs of wear and tear

The works which were to be included in the maintenance was :-
    - Complete dismantling of the movement, cleaning, oiling, reassembling, regulating and checking functions.
    - Repair or replacement of parts of movement that is worn or faulty.
    - Replacement of crystal, tube, crown, gasket and battery (including cost of spare part with the exception of special mineral glass or sapphire crystal and precious metal parts, which are billed separately.
    - Refreshing metal case and bracelets
    - Final technical and aesthetic check

And the cost for all this : Approximately RM 5600 ( USD 1750)

This was way out of my estimated cost and decided not to continue to get it repaired.I took it to a watch shop near my place in Klang, Malaysia and had the 'old experienced' guy have a look at it. He said something about a balance being damaged/broken and it cannot be fixed.

I'm still hoping to get it looked at again by someone else who can give me some advice on whether any 'reduced' cost maintenance can be done just to keep it running, and just improve the cosmetics of it. Not planning to wear it but just something to keep. And if I managed to get it fixed and keeping somewhat accurate time, to buy an Omega metal strap to replace the current one.

Even after all this, Omega still hasn't been able to tell me the model and the year of make. Would cost be another RM300 more for them to dig into the archives. So far this is all I got

Case Ref: ST25431
    Type: Manuel/Handaufzug/Manual
    Calibre : 231

Serial no:12317550
    Bracelet: ST non OMEGA
    Dial: Silvered

Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

20131109_211341.jpg 20131109_211450.jpg 20131109_211506.jpg 20131109_211644.jpg

2. mac_omega Nov 9, 2013

This does not look as bad as the diagnosis sounded...

Can you unscrew the case back without any special tool to take pictures of the movement and inner side of the case back.

Maybe we could help you.
    regards

3. kanikune Nov 9, 2013

Real watchmaker can repair "broken balance". Probably balance pivot is broken and the balance staff needs to be replaced.

Bhavin likes this.
  4. ChrisN Nov 9, 2013

Hi Bhavin

It is a bit of a sad story and that is a great deal of money. There are some very knowledgeable people here and I am sure they can offer some advice. A couple of things:

Your 12 million Movement number identifies this watch as from 1950. See here:
    http://www.omega-fanatic.com/pages/gallery/omega-codes-and-movement-numbers-2253.php

The calibre 231 was in use then as you can see on the Omega website:
    http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=15437

Unfortunately, they only list the one model for calibre 230/231 which seems to have a case similar to yours. This database is not complete though so, it may just be that yours has never been entered. I am sure someone here will know of this style.

Regarding the dial and case, many people here like some patina and both look OK to my untrained eyes if you want to keep this in memory of your Grandfather. If they replaced the case, it would not be the same watch anyway so, it sounds like the best way to go would be to send it to one of the watchmakers here for an opinion on wether it could be serviced. Obviously, it can be cleaned, oiled and the like but if there is a broken part, it may be more difficult to fix.

Good luck with it and I am sure that someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to advise.

Chris.

Bhavin likes this.
  5. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Nov 9, 2013

Best thing to do to do if you are trying to save money is to find a donor movement on ebay. Keep an eye out for that case number and model. Maybe you can pick one up that is working and have a watchmaker swap pit the broken pieces and a simple service.

dstern and Bhavin like this.
  6. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Nov 9, 2013

The costs are high and you probably don't need all of the work suggested. If it was my watch I would remove the bracelet (which is not original to the watch anyway) and have the watch serviced and cleaned. One thing that might be wrong is the balance pivot being worn or broken. A competent watchmaker should be able to fix this or find a replacement. You can ask on the forum for recommendation for such a person in your area. In any case this shold not be as costly as the Omega quote.

Patrick Dixon likes this.
  7. prostie1200 Nov 9, 2013

Just checked my parts supplier and he lists new genuine Omega Balance complete, main springs, balance staffs and all sorts of other components for the caliber 231
    if your WM needs parts I can give you the web address for ordering

8. Bhavin Nov 9, 2013

He
    Thanks Mac_Omega : Here are the photos that you requested. I tried to wind the watch and let it run, and after 12 hours it was still running!... :) But a few minutes behind. Somehow it stops when I fiddle with it, meaning if its on its face. But If its on its back, it keeps on running... A little bit weird
    20131110_100852.jpg 20131110_100929.jpg

9. Bhavin Nov 9, 2013

Thanks prostie1200...Yes that would be great. Please do share.

10. mac_omega Nov 10, 2013

Thanks for the pics - does not look bad at all!

[quote="But If its on its back, it keeps on running... A little bit weird
    [/quote]
    This is not weird at all but logic: one end tip of the balance staff is broken off, this is the reason why it stops in this position.

All you will need for a nice running watch: have the balance staff replaced by a "swiss trained" watchmaker and have the movement cleaned and lubricated at the same time - thats it! Not a great deal, should not cost an arm and a leg...

good luck

erich

11. prostie1200 Nov 10, 2013

12. prostie1200 Nov 10, 2013

Enter your Caliber number in the Top box and search all in the box below

13. Bhavin Nov 12, 2013

Thanks a lot all of you!!

14. OmegaLover007 Dec 9, 2016

If i were you, i would look for a replacement movement and change the whole damn thing. Cleaning the hands up is not something difficult,
    And a service would be beneficial.
    Total would add up to something like 300 bucks.

15. cristos71 Dec 9, 2016

Holy thread resurrection! :eek: Over three years since this watch needed a service, I wonder if the OP managed to find someone good and affordable to perform the work?

16. tamura Dec 9, 2016

Bhavin was last seen Nov 24, 2013
    :whistling::whistling::whistling:

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 9, 2016

What say we get a filter.

If you have less than 50 posts and reply to something like this three year old post with confusing information you go into a sand pit until you reach 200 posts.