Forums Latest Members

inherited a gold ladies’ watch, trying to identify

1. 0watchknowledge Nov 30, 2019

Hi everyone!

I found this forum while looking online trying to research a watch that was recently passed down to me from my mother, from her mother (my grandmother), from her mother (my great-grandmother, who is believed to be the original purchaser of the watch). I’ve done searches online, looked through the Omega vintage watch online “catalog” to see if I could find it, and searched on this forum and other watch forums, and I have yet to find anything similar.

I took the watch to a local jeweler who sells Omega watches, but they said they couldn’t open up the back to be able to see if it had a serial number or anything like that. Unfortunately, that’s the only seller of Omega watches in my area as far as I’m aware and as far as what I could find online.

I tried to take photos of any distinguishing markings on the watch I could find. Besides “swiss,” the only other marking I could easily decipher was 750, which I believe means some part of the watch is 18k gold, but I could be wrong. The band of the watch is curved and it appears to be intentional as it looks curved when worn. There is a tiny, tiny engraving under the 750 that looks like a series of 4 numbers, but they are almost impossible to read. I could try to take it to a jeweler to see if it could be read under a loupe, possibly.

I’m completely new to watches and would love any thoughts on what this watch may have been called or what year it may be from. I find it very pretty and hope to wear it in good health for many years, would just love to know more about it!

Thank you!

CFF70A16-9C9C-421F-BF4B-891C1E96FA71.jpeg 3736C454-2395-4780-936F-6CC07DD5D41F.jpeg 67B127B0-B61B-436A-A2B9-C9621877032B.jpeg
  2. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Nov 30, 2019

Hi @0watchknowledge, Welcome to the forum - and let me commend you for you humorous screen name and for your nice first post.

Indeed this is an 18k gold watch and bracelet.
    Its style is from the 1960s or perhaps late 1950s.

You should indeed get it opened if you want to know more about it—but the right person to open it is a professional watchmaker. Jewelers don’t have the skills to do that properly, even if they sell Omega watches. Based on where you live (what country?) perhaps some people here can give recommendations.

If you’d like to wear the watch, you will need to get it serviced in any event.

You should not try to wear it now because there are old oils in the mechanism which may have seized up with dust mixed in-- and you risk damaging the movement if you force it to run.
    So you may have to ship out the watch for service — something many people do when local watchmakers are lacking.

Some people here may know more about the specific model — I seem to recall @Vitezi had terrific catalogues from that era.

3. Evitzee Nov 30, 2019

You'll have to open the case back to get serial number which will allow you to date it fairly accurately. I'd say it's from the 60's where these kind of modish designs were in fashion. But it will need an overhaul to make it serviceable long term, even if it runs now. It probably hasn't been cleaned in years and the oils are dried which will cause undue wear on the parts which aren't good long term.

You might ask the Omega dealer if they can recommend a local watch repairer that can do the job for you at a reasonable price. Who do they use for this kind of repair work? It's not a difficult job for a competent watchman.