Forums Latest Members

Inherited a 1966 Omega Seamaster - Help me learn more about it???

1. Laura Taylor Dec 26, 2013

My husband's grandfather was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Army during Eisenhower days and was actually a base commander in Okinawa. He then went on to work at the Pentagon after retiring from military. He purchased this watch from David Mann jeweler's in 1966 for my husband, who was an infant at the time. The watch was never worn, but put up in a "special place" until my husband was old enough to inherit it. It has simply sat on a shelf. We know nothing about it, other than we have all original paperwork, etc. and it is simply amazingly beautiful and perfect. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated, along with any type of ballpark figure for insurance or maybe even to sell eventually. Thanks! 147.JPG 148.JPG 149.JPG 154.JPG 152.JPG 151.JPG 157.JPG

decwright likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Dec 26, 2013

It sat on the jeweler's shelf for a few years before purchase too. The movement's serial number dates it to being manufactured in 1959 or 1960, which would jive with general look of the watch, especially the font of Seamaster. Nice heirloom!

Almost forgot - these are selling for between $600 and $1000 depending on condition and if it comes with the box & papers.

3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 26, 2013

Laura, it is a beautiful heirloom, please don't sell it.

If you feel you must, we will pass the hat and give you a fair price for it. List it on our "For Sale" forum.

Then, when you and your husband realize the value of heritage and of memories and of family.......

Then, you will gladly pay us 10 times the amount to get it back.

As an Army veteran, I am honored to view his legacy.

Thank You for sharing.

4. Laura Taylor Dec 26, 2013

Thank you both for your replies. We are truly just looking for more information on it. We aren't looking to sell it, but rather for insurance value and to learn more about it. I did research on that particular jeweler today and sound that they service primarily military and government officials only at the Pentagon. Very cool and interesting. The provenance of this item is very intriguing to me, especially what I know of the incredible service that his grandfather provided for our country.

5. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 27, 2013

I strongly suggest you get this taken to a good watchmaker for a clean and oil especially if you plan on wearing it. If this has been sitting for many years the oils inside will have dried up and as it is automatic by picking it up and moving it around the watch will start running with little or no lubrication between the gears which will cause damage, especially if run for an extended time.
    If you let us know where you live someone may be able to suggest a competent watchmaker in your area.

Deldog likes this.