Inherited 145.022-69 - Where can I get it serviced in Southern Africa?

Greetings all. This is my first time to post on a forum, so please forgive me if my post isn’t done properly – and please forgive the poor photographs taken with my phone.

I would really appreciate some advice from you fine people. I have recently inherited a Speedmaster 145.022-69 from my father. He inherited it from my uncle when my uncle died in about 1982. My Uncle bought the watch new as far as I was told.

According to ‘ilovemyspeedmaster.com’, my watch was built in about March 1970 – serial no 291*****. Apparently my uncle wore the watch regularly, but I know my father never wore it. I remember this watch from my youth (I’m in my 50’s now) sitting in our safe, and I remember my father telling me that it was the type of watch worn on the moon and worth a bit. He said it was due a service, and so he would never wear it. I remember it had a black leather strap when it was in the safe – but when I received the watch recently there was no strap, and no bezel – so I am not sure what happened in the last few years of my fathers life – he may have worn the watch then, I’m not sure as I was in a different country. I have wound the watch twice since receiving it, and it runs fine; however I downloaded some timegrapher software (from https://tg.ciovil.li/; found through these forums ), and according to that and also according to an android app (“Watch Accuracy Meter”), my watch has an amplitude of between 190 and 240, a beat error of around 2.9, and face down it gains around 4 seconds a day, and face up loses around 25 or 30 seconds a day. So that, and the fact that I am sure that the watch has never been serviced, at least since my father received it some forty or so years ago, and possibly not even when my uncle owned it, means that I would like to get the watch professionally serviced. (The scratches in the case from a wrong tool to open it were there when I received it – so I’m guessing it was opened by someone at some stage previously)

So here are my questions:
1) From the (bad) photographs, and the timegrapher figures above, are you able to tell me what condition you consider this watch to be in. Should I get it restored, or just serviced?

2) I live in Southern Africa (not South Africa), and I do not know of any professional or competent watchmaker in my country. I would like to know if any of you on this forum happen to know of any suitable watchmakers that could service my Speedmaster anywhere here in Southern Africa. (Shipping the Watch out of Africa would be risky and complicated with our customs, so I would like to avoid that if it is possible to make another plan.)

On the internet I found an Omega agent in Johannesburg South Africa, but on looking through these fine forums, I have seen that an official Omega service centre is not the way to go with a vintage speedy, so I would like to use an independent watchmaker who knows these watches and can be trusted.

3) Are any of you able to advise me where I can get another bezel to replace the missing one?

4) How easy is it to fit a bezel to a speedy?

5) If I can’t find a suitable watchmaker in Southern Africa to service my speedy, what do you think the chances of damaging this watch are if I run it as it is. (I think I already know the answer to this one…:)
photo_2023-05-17_16-20-25.jpg photo_2023-05-17_16-20-20.jpg photo_2023-05-17_16-20-02.jpg photo_2023-05-17_16-19-56.jpg photo_2023-05-17_16-19-50.jpg photo_2023-05-17_16-19-37.jpg photo_2023-05-17_16-20-14.jpg
Thank you, I look forward to hearing what you all think...

Like 5
Beautiful watch and family heirloom.

The condition looks great. Sure it’s dirty and needs a service but the case looks sharp (they’re often overpolished like a week old bar of soap), the dial appears undamaged and has lovely yellow lume (often it’s degraded to a green mouldy colour) and the movement appears complete and in good overall condition. Crucially, all the parts that are there are correct for an early 29,1xx xxx serial 145.22-69.

Unfortunately there are some negatives. -69’s with this serial came with a ‘Dot over 90’ bezel and these aren’t cheap to source. Also, it will need a good clean and service but I’m sure someone on the forums will be able to advise on your location.

When you do get it serviced, it shouldn’t be ‘restored’ imo. It needs a good clean and full movement service only. The case should not be polished and no case parts (case, dial, hands etc) should be replaced. The bezel is a tough one. If you can justify the cost, I’d keep an eye on these forums and eBay to source a vintage DO90 bezel to reattach (c.£1000+). If you can’t justify the cost, I’d personally install a modern service decimal bezel. These can be had for around £150 and look fine. A modern tachy bezel looks out of place imo.

Like 5
Beautiful watch!
Great summary Davidt, only one point I would add: Since I also have a Speedy from March 1970 with a 2911… serial, it looks like you have also a dark chocolate dial, which seems to visible for me in one of your pics.

Kind regards Max

Nice watch and indeed it could be slightly brown in some lighting. I would suggest that you continue to look for the bezel. Maybe it is around somewhere.

Like 1
Thank you Davidt for your very informative reply, all very much appreciated. I'm quite surprised how high the price of an original DO90 Bezel is! I will have a look online and see what's out there. Then I will have to decide what to do. First thing is to find a suitable person to service (and clean!) the watch.

Hi Vienna. Thank you for your comment
I think that maybe my bad photography is making the dial look dark chocolate - I can't really see that looking at the real thing, but I really don't know what I'm looking for as the little I know about these watches I have only learned over the past few days from this forum!
I will try to take some better pictures in the near future.

Nice watch and indeed it could be slightly brown in some lighting. I would suggest that you continue to look for the bezel. Maybe it is around somewhere.
Hi Dan S. Unfortunately not much hope of the Bezel being found - the watch arrived, along with some other things left for me by my late father, in a trunk that was sent across borders to get here. There is definitely no bezel in the trunk with the other things. My father died 10 years ago and his effects where he used to live have been long disposed of. So I will have to source another bezel.

Like 1
Hi Dan S. Unfortunately not much hope of the Bezel being found - the watch arrived, along with some other things left for me by my late father, in a trunk that was sent across borders to get here. There is definitely no bezel in the trunk with the other things. My father died 10 years ago and his effects where he used to live have been long disposed of. So I will have to source another bezel.
Well, the good news is that they are available, and not as expensive as they used to be. A few years ago we were paying about $4k USD for an excellent one.

Hi Vienna. Thank you for your comment
I think that maybe my bad photography is making the dial look dark chocolate - I can't really see that looking at the real thing, but I really don't know what I'm looking for as the little I know about these watches I have only learned over the past few days from this forum!
I will try to take some better pictures in the near future.

Here is pic of mine in sunlight. You can see the difference of brownish and black if you compare the dial colour with the colour of the service bezel,

kind regards Max

Well, the good news is that they are available, and not as expensive as they used to be. A few years ago we were paying about $4k USD for an excellent one.
4K for a Bezel. Wow.

Here is pic of mine in sunlight. You can see the difference of brownish and black if you compare the dial colour with the colour of the service bezel,

kind regards Max
Thank you Max. I will look at mine in the sun tomorrow with some interest! Will try to take a picture then too. Appreciate your input.

I have one with a slight chocolate fade. Yours is definitely there. Impacts value in a positive way.

2911xxxx serials are know to turn brown sometimes. Some more, some less. But always more apparent in the sun. We don’t know the fourth digit of your movement.

omega_speedmaster_brown.jpeg

Like 1
I’m not really seeing a brown hue on the photos but let’s see what more pictures show.
As others have said, -69’s with 29,11x xxx serials can go brown/tropical but they can also stay black.

2911xxxx serials are know to turn brown sometimes. Some more, some less. But always more apparent in the sun. We don’t know the fourth digit of your movement.

omega_speedmaster_brown.jpeg
This is very interesting. I never knew there was so much to know about these watches! :)
Mine is a 2911xxxx.
I will look in the sun tomorrow (assuming it is sunny!) and try and take some better pictures. Unfortunately I only have a phone camera available to me right now, so not sure if I can get a good enough picture, but will try. Right now under artificial light at night it looks black to me - but let's see tomorrow.
Thanks to all of you commenting on the colour.

Hello again.

I looked at the dial in the sun - and, to me it still looked black, but my wife, who is an artist, said she thought the dial colour may be slightly changing - especially around the step in the dial. I have to use my imagination a bit to see that. I meant to upload the photo's the other day, but I got busy - so here they are now. Sadly still not the best pictures, and they don't show the colour exactly the same as it is, but still I would be interested in what you all think! :)

One thing the sun did was highlight the scratches in the hesalite crystal. Would you recommend I have this replaced once I track down a suitable watchmaker to service the watch - or do you think it would be better to just try and polish the scratches out?
Thanks
View attachment 1609491 View attachment 1609492 View attachment 1609493

Like 2
4K for a Bezel. Wow.
I like the advice to find a Service decimal bezel, and take your time to decide if you want to source a vintage DON example. There are a lot of fakes out there especially on ebay so I would advise NOT to purchase one without getting some advice- you can post here for opinions on bezels you are considering buying.
Enjoy this special watch its a beauty.
This may be helpful to learn a bit more about bezels. It may seem quirky and crazy but this is a big deal among Omega Speedmaster collectors.

https://speedmaster101.com/fake-bezels/
https://themasterofspeed.com/2018/1...pecial-bezel-guide-medical-telemeter-decimal/

I'm not seeing much brown in that dial, but it's very nice looking.