Forums Latest Members
  1. rhinks Oct 7, 2015

Hi All

This watch has been passed down from my grandfather now to me. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what series model it is and the year it was made? I think it may be from the 1950's but i don't want to risk taking the back off myself to investigate further. I would like to get it restored if possible. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. I live in Australia.

p.s. sorry for the poor photo quality. I took them on a phone

watch1.jpg watch 2.jpg watch 3.jpg
    eviktor likes this.
  2. Audley Yung Oct 7, 2015

gorgeous, love the domed dial.

3. mac_omega Oct 7, 2015

it is a pie pan, not a domed dial...

4. rhinks Oct 8, 2015

Thanks Audley and Mac for your input. What's the difference and how do you tell them apart? I've always wondered if it has been restored or is still all original. Hard to tell from a bad photo but does it look original?

Thanks
    Russell

5. italy1861 Oct 8, 2015

Domed: pic thanks to toddle321
    image.jpeg
    Pie pan:
    image.jpeg

6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 8, 2015

Hi Russel
    Welcome to the Connie -owner's club
    It is a lovely Constellation but has obviously had a 'full life' - but this is great as it reflects your grandfather's life
    A pie pan dial has the 12 facets you see around the edge of your dial a dome deal is 'flat' with a curved edge
    Your dial looks original but it's difficult to be certain without better pics
    Search for Constellation on this forum and you will find dozens (hundreds?) of posts
    Also Google Constellation collectors blog for a superb reference site

ConElPueblo likes this.
  7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 8, 2015

Ni
    W you see that has opened an old can of worms about what is a dome dial....
    This a true dome dial -sorry it's upside down - the one pictured is a beautiful two tone dial which is domed but some would count it as a type of pie pan IMG_20150918_155020_hdr.jpg

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 8, 2015

This is essential reading for any Omega Constellation owner.

Digest and enjoy.

9. marturx Oct 8, 2015

It looks like a mid 50ies goldcapped Constellation ref 2852 with calibre 501 or 503 inside. Looks to be in good shape even if the dial has had it's fair share of moisture. This doesn't mean though that the movement should be bad. Have the case cleaned and the movement serviced and you should be good to go.

There are a few Australian members here, that ought to be able to direct you to a suitable watchmaker who can help you

kyle L and ConElPueblo like this.
  10. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 8, 2015

BTW your watch has a gold-capped case which means a thick layer of gold applied to a steel body -note this is not gold plating it's much better than that ( you should be able to see the thickness of gold on the edge of the back of the lugs
    The dial has gold arrow head indices (and possibly gold hands)
    The medallion on the back is also solid gold.
    Most forum members would implore you to not have the watch 'restored ' but to have it cleaned and serviced and enjoy it the way it is.
    There is a strong Omega contingent in Oz who should be able to advise on a suitable watchmaker to go to

11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 8, 2015

Po
    posts crossing in the ether :thumbsup:

12. rhinks Oct 8, 2015

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. If anyone could suggest someone who would be capable of a clean and service it would be much appreciated. Also not that I would ever sell it can anyone suggest a ballpark figure of what it would be worth?

Cheers

13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 8, 2015

Your watch has a 'lived in' look
    Blistered varnish on the dial
    But it is still an nice arrow head pie pan
    Peculiarly gold cap watches are generally less desirable than stainless steel (or solid gold of course)
    It would probably command around £500 at a UK auction if a couple of collectors were to compete for it
    So it is a valuable watch
    Priceless to you though....

14. Kja Oct 8, 2015

Don't get it refinished or polished! Is a really nice watch! It worth a about a grand.

15. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Oct 8, 2015

These uncle watches are getting better ;-)

Congrats!

Jacquot and Peemacgee like this.